[TS] default notifications added Text-To-Speech

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

[TS] default notifications added Text-To-Speech

Post by Necromancer »

On the last battleday we had a small and annoying problem that im sure people ran into before.
The problem was someone simple dropped. The notification says "User in your channel timed out" - great! who is it?
Then you hear the SL "who dropped"? "who disconnected"?
The overlay would help - but it has a bug that if someone disconnects from your channel, he doesn't disappear. so there's no way to tell who dropped but to go one by one asking "are you here"?

so i took the default notification setting (that i use, and probably most of you too), and remapped the enter channel/left channel notifications to Text-To-Speech so it will read me the name of the person who joined/left.

User joined your channel - i figured the red part is unnecessary jabber and removed it.
original/default ---> changed to
User joined your channel --> {Name} joined
User left your channel --> {Name} left
User disconnected --> {Name} disconnected
User timed out --> {Name} timed out
User was moved to your channel --> {Name} moved in
User was moved to out of your channel --> {Name} moved out.
You were moved --> You were moved to {Channel_Name}
(poke) Hey wake up --> Poked by {Name}

i also disabled the "readonly" bit so you can change it as you like in the TS notifications tab.

what do you need to do? first close TS.
there are 3 ways:
1) simple way - download and install this.

2) fast way - overwriting the default settings: simply put this into your TS_installation\sound\default overwriting the existing file.

3) slow way - without overwriting anything:
a) go to your TS_installation\sound folder, copy the folder called "default" to the same place (sound folder) with a different name like "default_tts" or whatever.
b) drop this file into the folder, overwriting the existing one

To change the sound pack TS uses and actually enable the new pack, you will need to do the following steps:
1) start TS, in the connection window (if you connect through bookmarks then click bookmarks --> right click on the GC TS server --> edit bookmark) click "more" and choose the "Female & TTS sound pack"
2) click apply and connect!

Last edited by Necromancer on Sat May 17, 2014 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
DaFi

Re: [TS] default notifications added Text-To-Speech

Post by DaFi »

Thats seems helpful! Pretty cool.
How good is the text to speech in reading random names? Can you always tell what name it is reading?
I have Teamspeak on my 2nd Monitor and most notifications disabled, so I dont hear it reading anything.
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

its pretty good if you know the guy who joined. if its first time you see them/hear their name then its like "who joined"? but the overlay helps with that. the regular "User joined your channel" gives you no information on the user identity at all.
you can also set your own phonetic name. if there won't be any clowns then it would work even better.

the notifications and TTS are setup so it will only read things of interest, meaning only things in your channel and not the whole server. its a combination of the good sound notes and TTS , instead of full TTS where it also reads that you connected/disconnected or someone whispers.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

I created a similar pack a while back, just based on the GlaDOS sound pack, so all the sounds that don't require text-to-speech like "Disconnected." are GlaDOS' voice :P
If you want to give that one a try, click here.

Regarding reading out weird names. Everyone can set their own phonetic nickname, so if you have tags or l33tsp34k in your name, you can use a clean, short name in that ("Self" => "Set Phonetic Nickname"). You can, however, also give people a custom phonetic nickname. Simply right-click them, click "Add to contacts". Then open your contacts by either right-clicking the person and clicking "Edit in Contacts" or opening your contacts from the menu and enter the custom phonetic name in the approriate field. If you don't like people being green (your "friends"), you can set their contact type as "Neutral".
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

I believe it's should be enough to select "Default Text To Speech" from the bookmarks menu if you want it for a specific server

Or alternatively you can set it globally from the menu - Self --> Sound Packs --> Default Text To Speech

At least that's what I did without using an external sound pack
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Thanks for puting this up here.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

The default text-to-speech thing has some unneccesarily long notifications though like "[user] joined your channel" instead of just "[user] joined".
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

@Razy - Default Text To Speech reads everything. it doesn't use any pre-recorded sounds, but rather turns every event into readable text. it doesn't have sounds for whisper or chat. instead of doing a "blip" sound upon sending chat, it reads you "chat message sent" every time you type something and "chat message received" when someone else types which is more disturbing then useful. And the only way to disable it is to disable the chat notification, which means that you won't know if someone typed something or not.
another downside is that it also reads the jabber i took out "{Name} joined your channel" - obviously the user joined MY channel, i wouldn't care otherwise.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

The default TTS doesn't have to read everything. There are options to turn on/off every type of notification in TS:

Settings -> Options -> Notifications

Pick and choose what you want/don't want to hear.

There are still no pre-recorded sounds. My whispers go "psst" when someone whispers me and I use default TTS.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

default Text To Speech does have a pre-recorded sound for the whisper so thats why you have the "psst". you can only turn on and off the default TTS notifications, you can't change them. as i wrote, i also disabled the read-only bit so you could change it to your liking.
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

thx,
I just took a voice pack with importand TTS messages, they are also shortened like "username" joined.
one voice more in the chatter, so it is best to have a female one :wink:
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

jeesh fanne.
updated first post with one-click TS3 package installer*

*did not test it as TS3 package installer crashes every time on my computer.
its really basic so i don't think i f*ed something up, but it would be nice if someone could confirm.
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

Did not testet the one you put on, I took this:Clean_soundpack.1.2
not the best voice but I'm to lazy to look and test for a better one :wink:
Kilo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kilo »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:I created a similar pack a while back, just based on the GlaDOS sound pack, so all the sounds that don't require text-to-speech like "Disconnected." are GlaDOS' voice :P
If you want to give that one a try, click here.

Regarding reading out weird names. Everyone can set their own phonetic nickname, so if you have tags or l33tsp34k in your name, you can use a clean, short name in that ("Self" => "Set Phonetic Nickname"). You can, however, also give people a custom phonetic nickname. Simply right-click them, click "Add to contacts". Then open your contacts by either right-clicking the person and clicking "Edit in Contacts" or opening your contacts from the menu and enter the custom phonetic name in the approriate field. If you don't like people being green (your "friends"), you can set their contact type as "Neutral".
A bit late but I just downloaded this and I love it :D
Battlefield Tournament History
BF3C4: STAR Infantry Private 2Image
BF3C5: LOD Infantry Private
BF3C6: UNSC Infantry Private First Class
BF4C1: USSR Infantry Conscript
BF4C2: GoCI Infantry Private First Class
BF4C3: LN7 Infantry Private
BF4C4: JANUS Armor Private
BF4C5: KTSS SAS Captain
BF4C6: SAD Infantry CorporalImage
BF4C7: GC Infantry Captain