Hell Storm & Fuster Cluck

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Róka

Re: Hell Storm & Fuster Cluck

Post by Róka »

Playing BF3, listening to music, and running Steam, GPU temp went as high as 84 degrees Celsius, I can only imagine how much more load there is if I am on TS as well.
I turned on Precision X which auto-updates fan speeds to cool it down and with it on it keeps it steady under 70 degrees but my fans are also increased to 70-80% power. Ideas?
-I still haven't cleaned my comp out yet, that's later tonight.
ImageImage
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Róka wrote:Playing BF3, listening to music, and running Steam, GPU temp went as high as 84 degrees Celsius, I can only imagine how much more load there is if I am on TS as well.
I turned on Precision X which auto-updates fan speeds to cool it down and with it on it keeps it steady under 70 degrees but my fans are also increased to 70-80% power. Ideas?
-I still haven't cleaned my comp out yet, that's later tonight.

If you run more programs, that is CPU intensive, not GPU. (Normally)

Anyway you should clean it from dust, because if you had it installed for more then 5 months, I'm pretty sure that should help.
Made possible by: .Sup
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Róka wrote:Using EVGA's Precision X to set the GPU Voltage to 1.063 but it keeps jumping back to .963 :(
Also, doing a bit of spring cleaning in the case tomorrow.
Don't know if someone said this already, but to lazy to check :)

Also, if the GPU isn't used 100% it will use a lower voltage (of-course) to save power ;-)
Róka

Post by Róka »

Now I haven't cleaned yet, but anyone have an idea as to how I can apply this setting without having to have these programs on all the time in order to do it?
Attachments
The fan speed goes along with the GPU temperature consistently.
The fan speed goes along with the GPU temperature consistently.
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I really think you should warranty the GPU.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

I don't know about you guys but whenever one of my customer's PCs start getting seizures the first thing I check is the RAM. Let me know if using one DIMM instead of both changes anything. Also, what is the model of your power supply? Large numbers aren't indicative of quality.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

From what I've seen on my end. The hard drive is most likely issue and should be tested from a generic standpoint. Then the RAM which in the last 2 years has been least suspect at least in my area. CPU has been ages since I've seen one go bad without abuse.

This situation, I have a 580GTX that is a bitch and should not have bought used as I see alot of 580GTX users pissed off.
I'm lucky I can bump my voltage by a hair and be problem free (for the last 9-12 months). Not even a official evga bios flash helped. Voltage change is an unpreferred solution.
And going back to symptoms. IF hes still running (hearing ppl on TS, etc) but the screen is nor responding, swap screens or swap cards and be done with it.
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Ash2Dust wrote:From what I've seen on my end. The hard drive is most likely issue and should be tested from a generic standpoint. Then the RAM which in the last 2 years has been least suspect at least in my area. CPU has been ages since I've seen one go bad without abuse.

This situation, I have a 580GTX that is a bitch and should not have bought used as I see alot of 580GTX users pissed off.
I'm lucky I can bump my voltage by a hair and be problem free (for the last 9-12 months). Not even a official evga bios flash helped. Voltage change is an unpreferred solution.
And going back to symptoms. IF hes still running (hearing ppl on TS, etc) but the screen is nor responding, swap screens or swap cards and be done with it.
A different screen may not work.. Probably a new card will :/. So if you still have warranty, RMA it ;)
Róka

Post by Róka »

Ash2Dust wrote:From what I've seen on my end. The hard drive is most likely issue and should be tested from a generic standpoint. Then the RAM which in the last 2 years has been least suspect at least in my area. CPU has been ages since I've seen one go bad without abuse.

I don't hear people on TS actually, everything cuts off. (Except power I guess? Fans and I think the CPU/HDD still runs)
Anyways I'm looking into the warranty.
ImageImage
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Róka wrote:

I don't hear people on TS actually, everything cuts off. (Except power I guess? Fans and I think the CPU/HDD still runs)
Anyways I'm looking into the warranty.

Smells like faulty ram to me.. Try Memtest ;)
LongBowNL
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LongBowNL »

I had that too once. Just a black screen and no sound nothing. I routed it back to a faulty CPU overclock.
Róka

Post by Róka »

Okay, so uh, cleaned out my computer completely. Got rid of dust bunnies, checked heatsink, everything looks fine, but nothing has been fixed. Also, fixing the GPU clocks to stock advertised didn't help, it is still overheating to 90+ C after about 40-50 minutes of playing any GPU-intensive game (BF3 & AC3; and that's because I used to be able to play BF3 on max regularly - even on medium-high it's overheating). I still need to check on warranty but what-do if warranty is out?
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

So I cleaned it out today (hell of a lot of dust) and it seems to be fine now.
Also, I checked my warranty again and I have 3 years on it :D and it's barely exactly 1 year today! :mrgreen:
So if anything, by the end of this year I'll send it back and buy a newer/stronger GPU. (Upgrade most of my rig)
ImageImage