Hell Storm & Fuster Cluck

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Róka

Hell Storm & Fuster Cluck

Post by Róka »

So this past week has been a total piece of crap for me and I am making this thread in hopes that some of you guys can help me much, much more.

1. Headset: 2. Yellow Roads:
  • Minor bug that apparently no one in GC is getting except me even though thousands of requests appear on Google query. I am getting a bug where all dirt roads appear yellow and people have said that there is something wrong with the latest Windows update that causes it but many say rolling back doesn't fix anything. So again, if anyone knows a solution to this.
3. BSOD:
  • So I'm not sure if the above has anything to do with this or anything else, but for the past, I wanna say two to three months, I'm getting this problem where my computer BSOD (according to Windows Error/Solutions) when I think the CPU reaches 55 degrees Celsius (according to my case monitor) but it shuts down (or just the GPU because I hear everything still going on in my comp and the fans are still spinning?) where I don't see anything and then I have to hold the power button until it restarts and Windows gives me this error (not necessarily Windows - Windows just recognizes the error while I use WhoCrashed to give me this:)
    On Tue 3/12/2013 11:24:14 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031213-17518-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x929ADC)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8009AC44E0, 0xFFFFF88006D71ADC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    It's happening more and more often and I have been searching for solutions for days. To no avail though because most forums just go in fraking circles now because people that have no idea what they are talking about try solving things while the people who know solutions never open their mouthes. This is why I come here. Some of you have told me to roll back NVidia GPU drivers, check my heatsink, power supply, and fail-safe temperature(which apparently my bios doesn't display any such option so WTF?). I have tried the GPU drivers, I have a 800W power supply, and as said I get no options to check on the fail-safe temperature for my CPU. What's left is checking on my heatsink and CPU/GPU fans, I plan on opening up everything tomorrow and cleaning through (dust & check) but until then I have to deal with this retardedness.
Computer Specs:
800W Power Supply
Standard Liquid CPU Cooling System
5 120mm Fans
Intel i7 970 @ 3.20 GHz (hexcore)
NVidia GeForce GTX 580 (Driver Vers: 314.07)
2TB HDD
6GB RAM
ASUS MotherBoard & BIOS P6X58-E PRO
Windows 7 64-bit
oh and I use a 22inch monitor with a HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance :)
ImageImage
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Re: Hell Storm & Fuster Cluck

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Yellow roads is a bug? I saw that on the snow map and thought it was some weird gimmick to let me know where the roads were supposed to be. Like painted roads or something >_>
ImageImageImage
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

Man i feel sorry for you... I dont have alot of selutions for you... As for point 2. I never update my Windows 7 as from what ive learned it slows down your pc since it stacks up the updates instead of only keeping the newest. Might want to reinstall windows always helps to clean up ur pc and fixxing things. Good luck hope you find the fixxes!
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

As far as the yellow roads go the only solution I read about was to uninstall the KB2670838 Windows update
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Sounds like hardware failure. I would guess your video card is on its last days, they do fail in weird ways. Swap it out into another system to see if the problem follows it. Also, watch your video card temps.

For me, my EVGA 580 GTX will lock up and sometimes CTD ever hour or so while playing BF3 unless I bumped its voltage from 1.05v to 1.06V. At 1.06v I can play endlessly.

In my experience, when a CPU overheats, BIOS will kill all power to the system. Nothing will be running.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

As for the headset I will repeat what I always say in these threads, buy a good quality pair of headphones and you will be set for years. Don't mind buying these gaming headsets, they break all the time, all you need is a cheap lapel mic, which you can find for a couple of bucks on ebay. I have had my ATH50 for 4 years now, and it is still as good as new, and there isn't a day that I don't run over the wire with my chair. Go for a good pair of headphone, you won't regret it.
Róka

Post by Róka »

Ash2Dust wrote:Sounds like hardware failure. I would guess your video card is on its last days, they do fail in weird ways. Swap it out into another system to see if the problem follows it. Also, watch your video card temps.

For me, my EVGA 580 GTX will lock up and sometimes CTD ever hour or so while playing BF3 unless I bumped its voltage from 1.05v to 1.06V. At 1.06v I can play endlessly.

In my experience, when a CPU overheats, BIOS will kill all power to the system. Nothing will be running.
I'll be looking into it but my whole rig isn't over 7 months old :( And I have no other system to test it in.
I have been recording temps for Overall System, CPU and GPU and none of them reach over 53-55 degrees Celsius. :?
And I have no experience with experimenting with power supplies (I just know 800 is Standard and well enough for my system), howso do these miniscule voltage changes effect it? I will change mine to 1.06 right now nevertheless.
Mine never crashed to desktop though, I get "BSOD" with black screen and HDD and fans still running, where I have to manually hold the power button to reboot.
EDIT: Well neither BIOS nor SpeedFan allows me to configure my GPUs voltage :|
Last edited by Róka on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

mrBLUE9 wrote:As for the headset I will repeat what I always say in these threads, buy a good quality pair of headphones and you will be set for years. Don't mind buying these gaming headsets, they break all the time, all you need is a cheap lapel mic, which you can find for a couple of bucks on ebay. I have had my ATH50 for 4 years now, and it is still as good as new, and there isn't a day that I don't run over the wire with my chair. Go for a good pair of headphone, you won't regret it.
Well for voice-activation and the environment I'm in I usually don't settle for headphones + lapel mic but I completely understand your point (I just can't force myself to get used to that set-up).
I am half-sure I'll be buying the Plantronics one but if any of you guys can confirm me on that it would boost my confidence oh-so. :D
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

Using EVGA's Precision X to set the GPU Voltage to 1.063 but it keeps jumping back to .963 :(
Also, doing a bit of spring cleaning in the case tomorrow.
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Found an obscure link that pointed me here to fix my lockup/CTD problem. Dont have the original thread but believe it was one of many EVGA problem 580GTX threads on the EVGA forum.

http://www.evga.com/eleet/

Dont know if yours is a EVGA video card or not.

I hit the graphics tab, change the VGPU from 1.0500v to 1.06300v. Then hit apply.

It worked for me after many frustrating hours of troubleshooting on a non-warranty video card.
Your problem may be completely different from what I was experiencing.

Hell, it could be bad power to your wall electrical socket which only a good UPS will help. Something on the same circuit (microwave, disco lazers, etc) could be causing spikes and drops.

My stock voltage is 1.05, yours is alot lower. I strongly recommend not bumping it immediately to 1.063.
Róka

Post by Róka »

Ash2Dust wrote:Found an obscure link that pointed me here to fix my lockup/CTD problem. Dont have the original thread but believe it was one of many EVGA problem 580GTX threads on the EVGA forum.

http://www.evga.com/eleet/

Dont know if yours is a EVGA video card or not.

I hit the graphics tab, change the VGPU from 1.0500v to 1.06300v. Then hit apply.

It worked for me after many frustrating hours of troubleshooting on a non-warranty video card.
Your problem may be completely different from what I was experiencing.

Hell, it could be bad power to your wall electrical socket which only a good UPS will help. Something on the same circuit (microwave, disco lazers, etc) could be causing spikes and drops.

My stock voltage is 1.05, yours is alot lower. I strongly recommend not bumping it immediately to 1.063.
Yeah, mine is EVGA Overclocked and I think I've given up on Precision X (it really didn't allow any optimization except for fan control, all the other sliders were greyed out :roll:
And like I said, I'm not getting CTDs, just "BSOD"
I want to believe it truly is my NVIDIA drivers or something but this is really boggling as to there are no hints.
Still, I'll try cleaning out the case, make sure heatsink is fine and the fans are good. Maybe they'll be some solution tomorrow.
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Never tried percision X.
Only use the EVGA elite tool for the hair voltage bump. Problem is I seem to have to apply it each time Windows starts up.

Feel your pain. Can you talk to the store you bought the video card from and do a swap for the same?

Another option is to use a spare hard drive and install windows clean for comparison.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

A few things to circle the problem:

1. Make sure you bios does not automatically 'overclock' or adjust voltage of the chipsets, make a CPU stress test, measure heating. Can you reproduce the crashing?

2. have a close look at the motherboard. Anything melting away? Anything very hot after the stress test?

3. Swap the video card. Seriously, buy a cheap one and swap it in. It is always good to have one extra lying around anyway.
Stress test CPU again.

4. stress test CPU and GPU separately.

Standard:
4. Check the HDD and the filesystem.
5. Check if any cable gone loose from vibrations. Check all cables everything. The one you miss is always the troublemaker..

-----
Sometimes also the power supply fecks up and when it cant deliver enough voltage to the GPU one might falsely think the graphics card is broken. Can one check that with voltage meters??
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

first of all, you don't get BSOD.
BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death. happens when Windows crashes, mostly because of a system driver. it also displays an error code.
secondly your system doesn't turn off as you said on TS. apparently it continues to work just your monitor goes black.
there's a big difference in these symptoms and terms. please try to use correct terms and descriptions.

your rig is less then 7 month old? do you still have warranty on your GPU? if so, try to replace it. adjusting OC or voltage will void your warranty.
i'll guess the reason your monitor turns black is because of your GPU. it can be due to extreme heat (above 100 Celsius) or power (or faulty GPU).
now days processors that heat above a certain point (98 Celsius) kick down, slowing processing speed to avoid heating further and damaging themselves. if the CPU gets to somewhere ~130 Celsius the system completely turns off to avoid damage.

i've happened to run both my CPU and GPU without a heat sink and i can confirm this and that they shut down before they damage.
just two weeks ago i took apart my AMD 5850 HD GPU to apply some grease on the fans bearing as it started to make loud and annoying vibration sound. i didn't put the heatsink back as needed and although everything appeared to "work" (fans spining) nothing was displayed on screen + BIOS POST fail beeps. fixed it and applied new thermal paste and now my GPU runs 10 degrees lower :)

monitor your GPU heat, and stress test it. mark the point when it goes black. do it a few times and see if the results are consistent. if not - then its not the heat, and might be insufficient power. if the GPU asks for more power then the system can provide, the GPU also malfunction in what can result as a black screen to avoid damage. although a 800Watt power supply is way more then enough for a single GPU configuration.
- when did the problem first started? was it always present? were any changed made when it started to happen?
- check that both external power cables are connected to the GPU, and are all the way in.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Róka

Post by Róka »

Yeah, that's what I tried explaining, Windows detects it as a BSOD although it seems only my GPU shuts down.
Anyways, like I said I don't remember exactly when this started, only that it wasn't any more than 3 months ago.
I am aware of the temperatures and etc, but my GPU is ~40 on idle, I will stress test and see where it ends up.
Also, the rig is from ibuypower.com, not an actual retail store, but I'll try looking into swaps.

EDIT:
It seems the first time this occurred was: On Thu 11/22/2012 4:36:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
Spoiler: show
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112112-19749-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xADE630)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005EDC4E0, 0xFFFFF8800FD15630, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.07 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
ImageImage