New HDD for recording? Worth it/How does it work?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

New HDD for recording? Worth it/How does it work?

Post by Hgx »

So... guys, probably most of you know that I like to record BF 3 (and some other games), so a few months ago I got a new PC, but im still using my old 500gb Sata HDD. It's been a while (Early 2012) since the last format, and lately I've been getting some FPS drops here and there while recording (specially 64p chaos).

I tried defragmenting the disk, and that helped with reading some files, specially because I added almost 20.000 new files this last month.

So, do you think a new HDD could help with my recording stuff? If yes, how does it work? Do I have to move everything to the new disk? Or should I only move BF 3 there. Feel free to suggest me SSD/HDD with diff. sizes and stuff like that.

Thanks

PS: Have in consideration that the Dollar (USD) is on the roof right now (It went from 3 times to 8.) in my country and that I CAN'T import stuff from outside.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New HDD for recording? Worth it/How does it work?

Post by expandas »

As long as you aren't playing and recording from the same drive, you can expect to see some impressive performance gains in recording fps. All you need to do for dxtory is to add a new recording directory with one click of a button.

I recommend using a dedicated hard drive (that does not have windows or battlefield installed on it) to record footage with because of the huge file sizes that you have to deal with. As I see it, the main advantage of SSDs are the speed and responsiveness that they give your system, which allows you to record in very high definition resolutions like 1080p (albeit at higher cost & lower capacity).
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Recording on an SSD is very expensive...

I have my OS and some games (including BF3) on a 256 Gb Samsung 830 SSD and for recording I bought some 2TB hard drive.

How is you current write speed?
Current HD drive should give over 100 MB/s in dxtory's speed test (mine has 150 MB/s). Are you recording on a separate drive right now?
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

there is no problem to record 1080p on an SATA HDD. recording bandwidth doesn't reach the HDDs limits.
its a waist of a LOT of money to record on an SSD.
use SSDs to run programs and OS instead.

recording videos uses the HDD extensively, anything else you try to run from an HDD that is being recorded to is going to be problematic. use dedicated HDD for recordings.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

So, I should get a new HDD and set my recording files there? That's all?
SSD are extremely expensive here due to the lack of importation and the price of the USD.
I could buy 1TB HDD (or 2TB whatever) and just place my folder with the recording files there? So I end up with 1 HDD with my OS, games, programs etc and the second one (1/2TB) with only recorded files.
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

yes, exactly.
Buy a hdd with high sequential speeds because the files will be pretty big

i bought http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... T1000DM003 for the same purpose. It was cheap and fast
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Pretty much, yes.

I would by 2 HDDs and replace the old one as well. You dont want to have data loss if it fails.
While you are already fiddling with the hardware, do it all at once.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
AdmiralGiggles

Post by AdmiralGiggles »

omg do not record on SSD lol.

i got Western Digital Red 3TB, you can record in 1080p no problem with Dxtory codec. 2 TB should be plenty enough though.
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Thanks guys, i'll go and try to get one next week.