Time for a new headset.

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Time for a new headset.

Post by undrt0w »

ZombieToof wrote:But in the end it's a matter of taste. I will never have two Headphones of this quality here that I can test with BF extensively and compare them. If I'd own AD700s I'd probably use them for gaming after I compared them to my current ones. If I'd buy headphones for €150, that's what they roughly cost here, I'd buy Beyerdynamic DT-990 instead.
Ohh, yes the Beyers. I am considering them for a next purchase as well...they are also super praised! Price for the AD700 is the same here. I have a friend going to the US and I will be trying to get a pair from there. I will be able to tell for real then.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

Fields wrote:
waxass366 wrote:
Fields wrote:Illinois, outside of Chicago.
Zipcode? :P
Why don't you just pm me your address and I'll figure out what shipping would likely cost?
what's faster?
air VIA nyancat or ground VIA GTA Dubai camels?
BanzaiLang

Post by BanzaiLang »

undrt0w wrote:
ZombieToof wrote:But in the end it's a matter of taste. I will never have two Headphones of this quality here that I can test with BF extensively and compare them. If I'd own AD700s I'd probably use them for gaming after I compared them to my current ones. If I'd buy headphones for €150, that's what they roughly cost here, I'd buy Beyerdynamic DT-990 instead.
Ohh, yes the Beyers. I am considering them for a next purchase as well...they are also super praised! Price for the AD700 is the same here. I have a friend going to the US and I will be trying to get a pair from there. I will be able to tell for real then.
I've also got my eyes on the DT990s. If you guys ever get a chance to listen to them let me know your impressions. :thumbup:
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

I got a pair of AD-900s because I couldn't stand the metallic purple color of the AD-700s and wanted something that I could use for both music and gaming. I don't have a dedicated sound card just yet, but I get by by using Razer Surround. I've often heard the Audio Technica headsets compared to Beyers and Seinheisers, but you should consider paying a visit to a guitar/music/audiophile shop to experience the difference yourself.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Even better, some shops will actually let you take the headphone for testing at home. Quality will be different depending on the equipment in the shop and what you have at home.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

Well guys, it looks like I'll be getting a Steelseries Siberia V2 from a buddy of mine. Thanks again for all the input.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

I'm so happy this thread is here. :-D

I had a Sennheiser HD201 that didn't survive the Durability test as administered by 12yr old son, frustrated with his Minecraft server. :lol:

They almost lasted one year. :-)

Seems the Steelseries Siberia V2 is the general favorite. And I can get a pair from Amazon! :thumbup:
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Nobody seems to dig a desktop mic and hifi headphones. I tried to find a decent headset but they either cost more than standalones and offer worse sound quality or they are hideous.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

a standalone or this: http://www.modmic.com/ - imagine it on one of these:

sup...anything for sale?
Welcome Committee Member

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Clean mod but an extra cable tangles down.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

This is true, although they are working on a new version of a noise-canceling mic that will maybe have a "PRO" version with removable cable and cable management system. :)
Welcome Committee Member

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Ok, so my current Koss headset is ok, but it destroys my ears after a few hours (uncomfortable to wear), so I'm looking to get something new.

The question is, is it better to get a clip on mic like the Zalman listed earlier and use my existing "music" phones, or get a dedicated gaming headset.

I currently use the DENON AH-D2000 for music listening with an older headroom "little" headphone amp. I love them for music, very detailed and neutral but with enough authority in the low end to make hard rock and bass heavy music "fun" to listen to.

Now I want to keep my headphone amp in the bedroom to listen while I lay in my bed, so I'm not going to move it to the PC for gaming, which means I'd need to buy a new amp to use the DENON's for gaming (their impedance is too high for the PC output). Headroom doesn't make the little any more but a similar headroom amp goes for $250. Combined with the cost of a clip on mic that puts the cost up there with other high-end headsets.

I'm looking at:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/bey ... g-wmic.php
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sen ... gaming.php

I've heard nothing but good things about the Beyer so I'm leaning towards them. I'm reticent on the sound quality of the Senns as other Senns I've listened to are great for classical and jazz, but don't have the low end impact needed for gaming. Any others I should be looking at?

For reference, my DENONs were $350 new. Not that cost is the measure of sound quality, but they are regarded as being exceptional at that price point.

I guess the amp route may be cheaper, but it's definitely more of a hassle than having a dedicated set. Is there a headset that can offer similar sound at the same price? Is it worth the hassle and extra wear and tear on my DENONs to go with a second amp? Is it even worth the cost of the amp or should I just aim for a comfortable headset that is adequate?

I am an audiophile, but I'm not nearly as picky while gaming as I am for music and movies.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

I guess it depends if you wanna move your headphones around.

How are you going to connect the amp to the PC? Would you need a DAC as well or straight to audio card?
Here is another even cheaper option for an amp. I will prolly get the english version of this after Sup's suggestion:
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full
Also, as I mentioned before if you are willing to pay more, the quality of Modmic is better than the Zalman (I have both) and more comfortable (this clip thingy doesn't work for me)

If you go for headset the Beyers look suuuoper comfy...but I have no idea. I can see both on the below list (well the DT770 at least)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lus ... a900-added
Welcome Committee Member

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Sennheisers gaming series is crap. I would go with Beyer if you want it with mic.