Windows 7 vs Windows 8(.1)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Windows 7 vs Windows 8(.1)

Post by A Docile Sloth »

I am hoping to get my rig and give it a much needed upgrade. This would probably also mean a new installation of the OS. I have looked about the internet for reviews on Win 8 (and the up coming 8.1) and wondered if anyone here has any experience with living with it. I'd be coming from 7 so would it be a massive change for the better in the long run?
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8(.1)

Post by RazY70 »

From what I've been reading and hearing from people who upgraded the impact on BF4 in quite significant. If not performance then stability and overall feel (at least in the beta).

If you boot straight to desktop and add Classic Shell Start button (or similar) it shouldn't be that much different from Win7

http://www.classicshell.net/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Classic- ... 8729.shtml
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

it does seem to be faster.
but the Metro UI is very uncomfortable for a desktop, so starting programs you would normally fire from the start menu is now very annoying (shortcut to every program on desktop?)
another thing is that you need to do like 5 clicks to shutdown/restart the computer, since these options are buried deep in the settings menu.

with 8.1 they "brought back" the start menu button, but its useless since when you click on it - TA DA - it opens the Metro.
so it doesn't help too much. right-clicking it does bring up some useful options like shutdown menu, search, run, control panel and some other managers from the control panel.
they also added an option to boot straight into Desktop (instead of metro in win 8)

thats about the only changes between 8.1 and 8.
you can also install 3rd party programs that would bring back the normal start menu. its only sad its not possible to disable metro altogether so it won't come up when you click the start menu button, or the windows button on the keyboard or any other combination, just to save much needed resources.

the problem with the metro UI is its a mess. every program is presented as a big-ass icon (several actually). just with the stuff that comes with the windows it already doesn't fit into the screen, so you need to scroll to the side. scrolling with the mouse wheel is fine, but scrolling by moving the mouse to the right/left of the screen is simply awful.
still, id rather have a small menu with all the programs organized in a tight place.
right-clicking the start menu -> search -> typing part of program name is much faster then trying to use the metro.
but what happens when you try to find these programs you use only twice a year?

regarding BF4 beta - it didn't add a single FPS for me, but it did get rid of the FPS drops.
but that probably has more to do with DICE rather then windows 8.

also, you might right into a program that doesn't support windows 8.1 (yet).

TL;DR - a bit faster, less convenient.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Necromancer wrote:it does seem to be faster.
but the Metro UI is very uncomfortable for a desktop, so starting programs you would normally fire from the start menu is now very annoying (shortcut to every program on desktop?)
another thing is that you need to do like 5 clicks to shutdown/restart the computer, since these options are buried deep in the settings menu.

with 8.1 they "brought back" the start menu button, but its useless since when you click on it - TA DA - it opens the Metro.
so it doesn't help too much. right-clicking it does bring up some useful options like shutdown menu, search, run, control panel and some other managers from the control panel.
they also added an option to boot straight into Desktop (instead of metro in win 8)

thats about the only changes between 8.1 and 8.
you can also install 3rd party programs that would bring back the normal start menu. its only sad its not possible to disable metro altogether so it won't come up when you click the start menu button, or the windows button on the keyboard or any other combination, just to save much needed resources.

the problem with the metro UI is its a mess. every program is presented as a big-ass icon (several actually). just with the stuff that comes with the windows it already doesn't fit into the screen, so you need to scroll to the side. scrolling with the mouse wheel is fine, but scrolling by moving the mouse to the right/left of the screen is simply awful.
still, id rather have a small menu with all the programs organized in a tight place.
right-clicking the start menu -> search -> typing part of program name is much faster then trying to use the metro.
but what happens when you try to find these programs you use only twice a year?

regarding BF4 beta - it didn't add a single FPS for me, but it did get rid of the FPS drops.
but that probably has more to do with DICE rather then windows 8.

also, you might right into a program that doesn't support windows 8.1 (yet).

TL;DR - a bit faster, less convenient.
And all of that gets fixed when you get a start button.

TL;DR* - An overall faster OS.
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sarantini »

Necromancer wrote: thats about the only changes between 8.1 and 8.
You can hide , I'm using classic start menu and whenever i press the windows key it just opens the "old"start menu. I have disabled metro borders as well and it skips the terrible tilescreen at start. Just have to tinker in the settings. If you are interested in can paste my settings which you can just import then.

my thoughts on win8:
Metro UI is terrible for desktops. tiles are huge and there is so much wasted space at the top and bottom. Controls are based on touch and you have to drag a lot of stuff to the borders.
Luckily you can hide all this stuff with the aforementioned classic start menu. You then have faster windows 7 with some better functions and options. Booting the pc is definitely faster.
I could upgrade for free but if you have to choose between staying with windows 7 or paying for win 8 I would stick to 7. If you have to pay either way I'd get win 8.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I still don't see any purpose in upgrading to 8. 7 runs everything fine for me and has basically moved into the "industry standard" spot that was held by XP for a while, while 8 you have to hassle through getting rid of the "tablety" (for the lack of a better term) features of the metro UI. I still run 7, but having played with 8 on high-end machines I didn't notice any discernible difference between 7 and 8, and don't see the purpose of using 8 if it isn't significantly better (which it isn't)

TL;DR: spend how you feel, but my vote will be with 7 until there is a real (like 50%) performance increase, which there simply isn't right now.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
cairdazar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cairdazar »

If you run on SSD(s) 8 might be the better option as it is supposed to be better at dealing with them.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

but having played with 8 on high-end machines I didn't notice any discernible difference between 7 and 8, and don't see the purpose of using 8 if it isn't significantly better (which it isn't)
But 8 has picture password! :roll:
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

I made a huge mistake when purchasing my laptop. Do not buy the 32 bit windows 8 OS. It's terrible and can't even run java properly, you have to get some weedy version of java that honestly just makes me mad. I have to admit windows 8 does start up remarkably quickly, but you have to get used to using the least intuitive menu system in the world.
the end is really fµcking nigh
Marseee

Post by Marseee »

I have just upgraded to Win 8 and I would go for 8 if I was you. Everything that people complain about can be changed within the settings fairly easily. I have a start menu and can disable the corner metro features if I wanted to. It is installed on my SSD and is super quick, like from BIOS to on in 10 seconds quick. The only thing I don't like is the Skype app but I may be able to download and install/run it in windows 7 compatibility mode but I haven't tested that yet.

I took a few clips of me walking around the beta on Windows 7 and 8 which I will most likely upload tonight and post tomorrow if you're interested in them. I didn't notice a massive increase in fps but it did seem more stable.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Is upgrading from win7 to win8 safe (keeping all applications, etc.)?
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Marseee

Post by Marseee »

I made a copy of all my files and then did a clean install from the upgrade disk. I installed all the applications/drivers again but copied the large game files over into the correct directories.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

yeah, clean install is always a good idea, but i am so lazy... :(

I planned to upgrade this year and once 8.1 is out.
Maybe together with a new GPU around christmas :D
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Marseee

Post by Marseee »

Here's my comparison between Win7 and 8. I didn't notice a massive difference but others have.

phpBB [video]
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

was that after the patch?
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!