For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

kidbagz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Looking for new video card for $200

Post by kidbagz »

Hey guys,

Its about time I upgrade my HD6850 to something newer. BF4 is the perfect excuse.

I am looking to spend about $200 (maybe a bit more) and the only requirement I have is that the card has 2 DVI outputs for my dual monitor set up. Or is a Displayport->DVI adapter good enough? ( seems single DVI cards are cheaper)

I am leaning on a 7850 chipset. Always been a AMD fan... but i can swing either way.

I was looking at these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102998
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121651

Any thoughts, tips or recommendations? Or should I wait a bit for 7950s to come down in price?
Last edited by kidbagz on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image FOR THE MOTHERLAND!
Gardalop
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Looking for new video card for $200

Post by Gardalop »

I just built a pc with a GTX 760 and I am very impressed with the card. It has all of the features you want however it is around $250.
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

yeah I just got the GTX 760 superclocked and its amazing, I'm still trying to max it out.. planetside here we come! :twisted:
the end is really fµcking nigh
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

In terms of current-generation cards, the recently released AMD R9 270X is the obvious choice. It's basically the 7870 with some minor optimizations and higher clock speeds. MSRP is $199. There is no competition until NVIDIA drops the price of the 760.

In terms of previous-generation cards, if you can find a 7950 in that price range, it might be a good buy, as it'll perform a hair better than the 270x. Another good value buy would be the 7870 of course. It'll perform a bit slower than the 270X, but you can find good, new cards down around $170, which is a good value.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
kidbagz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by kidbagz »

Thanks for the replies...

Should I go straight for a card with 3GB memory size? For future proofing? Or is it a little overkill right now?
Image FOR THE MOTHERLAND!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I'm running the sapphire card you posted in the top post, and until now have had 0 issues with it in anything I've tried, but with BF4 I'm getting like half the fps I got in the beta for no known reason (beta was smooth at like 80-90 fps easily, now I'm lucky to hit 40).

if you can run bf4 reliably at the moment, I'd wait a bit to see what price drops occur around/after thanksgiving, newegg normally does huge black friday/cyber monday sales that you could probably net something really good for a great price.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died