For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

New PSU

Post by undrt0w »

Hi guys,

I was planning to do an upgrade of my hardware for BF4...now it seems waste of money cuz of the game being so crap but nevertheless I had a hdd problem so, my comp is now sitting at the pc shop and I decided to do the upgrade while its there.

This is the config

i5 3750K
asrock z77 pro4
amd saphire 7950
8GB RAM
1TB hitachi hdd
seasonic 650W psu

I want to add 8 more gigs of RAM and another 7950, which means a new PSU. I decided upon the Corsair TX850...which is obviously 850W. Now, the guy at the store told me that it prolly won't work and I will need at least a 1000W PSU. Now the money difference is quite significant so I wanted to ask about your opinion if I should stick with the 850W or go for 1000W.

Thx in advance.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New PSU

Post by Bock »

Guy at store is moron.
Have vodka.
Use 850W PSU.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

I've used this site before:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Gives a very rough estimate of the power requirements of your system as a base line. You then probably want to divide by 0.8 to cover PSU efficency to get a rough estimate of the size of the PSU you need.

But yes, 850W should be enough.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Bock wrote:Guy at store is moron.
Have vodka.
Use 850W PSU.
Hahah...this was funny!

@Sloth.
Yeah, on the reviews of the PSU it says its 80 - 85% efficient...which is quite good imo.

Thx a lot guys! I guess upselling is the key :D
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

i don't know how accurate those calculators are, but it says my system takes less then 350W. when i put the 780Ti as my video card it still takes less then 450W. depends on your system of course, your 650W might be able to deal with it.
850W would be more then enough.

Unless you use programs that require massive amounts of RAM (live video compression or something...) i'd say 16GB of RAM is an overkill. Even 8 isn't being utlized right now. By the time programs will utlize more then 8GB, these dimms would probably be obselete due to new PIN system on future motherboards.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Necromancer wrote: Unless you use programs that require massive amounts of RAM (live video compression or something...) i'd say 16GB of RAM is an overkill. Even 8 isn't being utlized right now. By the time programs will utlize more then 8GB, these dimms would probably be obselete due to new PIN system on future motherboards.
Oh, i didn't know that. I will think about it....might save me a few bucks. :thumbup:
Welcome Committee Member

Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

I meant unless you have programs that were designed to utlize massive amounts of RAM. These are special programs and you'd know if you used one. Extremely rare.
Most programs we use today started development few years ago, when the standart was lower (4GB). My system utlizes 2-3Gigs under normal use, and gets up to 4.5GB with BF4. Roughly half of the available space. Its not going to change in the coming two years.
And next gen motherboards will probably have different Pin count so you wont be able to transfer it.

Small note : on rare occasions BF4 has memory leaks that make the system require more then 8gigs. The whole system becomes unresponsive and closing BF4 doesnt free the memory, only system restart.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

750w is enough. 850w is plenty. 1000w is overkill.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0

I haven't updated it for 2013 cards, but most of it is still accurate.

tl;dr: Assuming you don't overvolt and you've got a decent unit already, you might not even need to upgrade the PSU.
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Oh expandas, you and your google docs :clap: I recently got rid of my Nvidia GTX 460's in SLI and upgraded to an evga superclocked Nvidia GTX 760 for BF4. But as flummi says I was far too busy shouting "LEVELUTION!" and blowing up crap to notice that I needed more power, so now I have to unplug my mouse, keyboard, screen, headphones, etc. before turning on my PC because it takes too much power on startup to actually boot up with my 875W PSU.. Oh I might have to upgrade soon but as it still works (I guess) I will wait and see what happens k:cry:
the end is really fµcking nigh
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Nvidia states the 760 consumes 170W. Lets round it up to 200 and double it for SLI = 400W.
Don't know how much your ultra clocked GPUs actually require or what kind of keyboard you have that could possibly consume another 300W, but id say something is fishy with your setup if that what happens.

Edit:THG 760 consumption tests get up to 160W tops.
EVGA SC 760 is also rated at 170W.

Good PSU have 5 to 7 year warranty. If its still falls under warranty id suggest you check it.
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

I've only got one 760, but I do have an overclocked i7 CPU, 4 slots of RAM that add up to 6GB, water cooling, fans galore, a SATA hard drive (i think, i have the input plug thingy) and some sort of motherboard.
the end is really fµcking nigh
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Only one? 8O
I would definitly check your system then.
Usinh this as a reference, putting 200W for your GPU and the tought you had two, i still ended up with 580W consumption. You can throw in all your DDR3 dimms in with their 3W, keyboard and hard drives youll still get 600W. Way more then enough. Considering you only have 1 GPU, subtract 200W. Something is wrong with your system, not expandas's google docs.
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

LOLOLOL what a moron.

Your 650w is enough, 850w is overkill, 1000w is just plain idiotic.

@Tea, a 760 uses less power than two 460s (maybe even less than one, but I'm not sure) 875w is WAYYYYYY more than enough power. You have something else wrong with your system... What brand and model is your PSU?
ImageImage
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Well, thats feked but I already ordered. No biggie though, I am getting some money for my bday and I couldnt think of a better way to spend them. Plus I plan to sell the older PSU so we good :)
Welcome Committee Member