New Rig

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Róka

New Rig

Post by Róka »

So I'm trying to build a new computer for Christmas :thumbup: but I would like all of ya'lls opinion. I generally want to stay within $600-$800 but I can squeeze into $1000. I am mainly looking for help with picking out the parts (assuming newegg or something). SLI compatibility and a durable and powerful GPU + CPU with liquid cooling (nVidia preferred unless someone can very well convince me otherwise). Oh and I'll be using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146097.

If you want to help please post below and I'll also be on TeamSpeak on Sundays at SBT +5 if anyone cares to help.

Much appreciated guys. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New Rig

Post by o1oo1 »

do you want sli ready or sli ?
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

1) intel's new processors are scheduled to be released at the end of 2014. 14nm architecture should bring big improvement over the current 22nm.
2) DDR4 is rumored to launch before the end of the current year. it means nothing though as the current MoBos and CPUs don't support it.

So im guessing that next year we'll have new CPUs, new memory and new motherboards that can house all that, and all of it won't be compatible with our current hardware. Maybe you should wait.

I too think Nvidia cards are better then AMDs, but they are pricey as well. AMDs 280x seems to be the best value for performance card, and can run BF4 well. Take gigabyte's as its runs cooler and quieter then Sapphires while OC almost to the same specs.
for current gen CPU take the i5-3570K for overclocking or 3570 if you're not going to explore that feature.
Last edited by Necromancer on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Róka

Post by Róka »

o1oo1 wrote:do you want sli ready or sli ?
What's the difference? :? Like sli-ready mobo cards or....
Necromancer wrote:1) intel's new processors are scheduled to be released at the end of 2014. 14nm architecture should bring big improvement over the current 22nm.
2) DDR4 is rumored to launch before the end of the current year. it means nothing though as the current MoBos and CPUs don't support it.

So im guessing that next year we'll have new CPUs, new memory and new motherboards that can house all that, and all of it won't be compatible. Maybe you should wait.

I too think Nvidia cards are better then AMDs, but they are pricey as well. AMDs 280x seems to be the best value for performance card, and can run BF4 well.
for current gen CPU take the i5-3570K for overclocking or 3570 if you're not going to explore that feature.
Well if it won't be compatible what would the point be of buying it all immediately when it releases :roll:
either way, once I actually build my PC it'll be cheaper to just switch out the parts assuming I carefully choose out compatible parts. Plus, I can buy that stuff next Christmas if it won't release until then :?:
About the cards, I think I can take slightly-pricey.
About CPU, aren't i7's generally better?
ImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Róka wrote:Plus, I can buy that stuff next Christmas if it won't release until then :?:
if you can afford a new PC every year, then forget what i wrote.
Róka wrote:About CPU, aren't i7's generally better?
better at what? drilling a whole in your pocket thats for sure.
its the same core but with Hyper-Threading enabled. adds 4 more virtual cores.
My i5-2500K wasn't stressed out, and thats without its great overclocking potential. i see no reason to buy anything more expensive when they all get obsolete at the same time.
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

Róka wrote:
o1oo1 wrote:do you want sli ready or sli ?
What's the difference? :? Like sli-ready mobo cards or....
well yes there are boards that are better for sli than others, but i was asking if you wanted two graphics cards or one
Róka

Post by Róka »

o1oo1 wrote:
Róka wrote:What's the difference? :? Like sli-ready mobo cards or....
well yes there are boards that are better for sli than others, but i was asking if you wanted two graphics cards or one
Well, one at the moment. So SLI-Ready (possibility to have two later on).
Necromancer wrote:if you can afford a new PC every year, then forget what i wrote.
Well, I won't be buying entire comps, it's pretty easy to just buy whichever part you want to replace at the moment...
ImageImage
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

Will you be needing any peripherals ? Operating system ?
what kind of monitor do you have/want. this is for how many fps you want to run at 60/120
do you want to run it on ultra or low?
interest in any other games or just bf4
Róka

Post by Róka »

o1oo1 wrote:Will you be needing any peripherals ? Operating system ?
what kind of monitor do you have/want. this is for how many fps you want to run at 60/120
do you want to run it on ultra or low?
interest in any other games or just bf4
I'll have either Win 7 or 8.
Monitor: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/product ... 30A12.html
I want to be able to run smoothly on max settings. But I dont mainly play BF, but it's for that and ArmA, PlanetSide, probably a couple of the newer games coming out (Watch Dogs, The Division, etc. [GTAV if that ever comes true]).
ImageImage
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Does it need to be an entire new computer or do you have an existing one that you can use a few parts from? Case, HDD(s), possibly PSU. If yes, what are they (especially the PSU)
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

TheYonderGod wrote:Does it need to be an entire new computer or do you have an existing one that you can use a few parts from? Case, HDD(s), possibly PSU. If yes, what are they (especially the PSU)
I'm using the case I linked above. I can hopefully use my HDD (as it's 2-TB, I just need to check which). My PSU is from corsair, but is only 750W so I probably need a better one(?)
ImageImage
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Ok, great, that makes it much easier to build a beast rig for $800. 750w is way more than enough.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.30 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $892.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-16 01:21 EST-0500)

About the RAM, you don't really need 16gb or 1866 mhz, but it's an amazing deal for what it is so I added. You could easily downgrade to 8gb 1600mhz if you'd rather save $60.
ImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Róka wrote: Well, I won't be buying entire comps, it's pretty easy to just buy whichever part you want to replace at the moment...
You won't be able to fit an old cpu on new MoBo.
You won't be able to fit an old memory on new Mobo.
You'll need to buy all three - cpu, Mobo and memory togather. Which is pretty much a new computer.
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Necromancer wrote: You won't be able to fit an old memory on new Mobo.
DDR3 has been around for like 4 generations. Will definitely be on the next gen too, and possibly even the next.

Either way, CPU+Mobo+RAM is like half the cost of an entire computer.
ImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

DDR4 is electronically incopatible with DDR3 and has a different safety notch. So it won't fit into your current MoBo and vice versa, DDR3 won't fit into DDR4 compatible MoBo. New cpus are the same, they always change the socket forcing you to buy new MoBos