For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

OBS nvenc / shadowplay

Post by Jokerle »

Hey folks,

OBS now supports the Nvidia GPU encoder nvenc (same what is used in shadowplay).
For BF4 i use the borderless window and shadowplay does not work with that (it seems?). Now I am gonna play around with OBS, but I am really not sure what settings to use. I probably only want to record to disk and not stream.
From forums, people seem unhappy with the encoding quality compared to x264 encoder.

Anyone experience with a good set of values (bitrate etc) that are a compromise between quality and expense? maybe from shadowplay recordings?
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Snookfingers

Re: OBS nvenc / shadowplay

Post by Snookfingers »

Shadowplay is amazing for recording... if youre playing in windowed mode, try enabling desktop capture. As for streaming with OBS and nvenc, the quality loss compared to CPU encoding is very noticeable. I streamed using nvenc and it was always a little bit pixelated. However there was little to no loss of frames, so if you dont care about the quality loss or can't stream with x264 on OBS, try the nvenc as you will be able to stream no problem. Let me know how it works for you, my hope is eventually Nvidia will tweak the gpu encoding to look as good the the cpu encoding, but as it stands now its not quite up to par, however its still AWESOME that you can do it.