FPS issues on everything

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

FPS issues on everything

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

SO, about halfway through the last battleday by frames dived. i was only getting between 7-15 fps and i can figure out the reason why. my GPUs are barely working but i noticed by CPU was being maxed. I cant find the reason for this but it also occurs when i do other things than BF4 ( cant watch youtube without massive CPU usage and stuttering and the same happens in any other game i play.)

Anyone have any idea what this could be and why it start suddenly?
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: FPS issues on everything

Post by Necromancer »

1. post computer specs
2. check your cpu isn't overheating/throttling, you can use hardware info, download the portable version -> no installation required.
3. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open task manager -> details tab, check what process eats up all your cpu.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

Necromancer wrote:1. post computer specs
2. check your cpu isn't overheating/throttling, you can use hardware info, download the portable version -> no installation required.
3. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open task manager -> details tab, check what process eats up all your cpu.
Gigabyte P67-UD7-B3
i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz
(2) GTX 580 SLI
16Gb RAM

Im not sure what im looking at with this program you suggested but nothing is really sticking out. And yes i have already looked at the Task Manager. thats what i mean when i say i cant figure out where its all going. it looks like only a fraction of CPU use is showing in tskmgr even when the CPU is maxed
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

does the task manager shows 100% cpu usage? if you click on the cpu and sort the processes in descending order by cpu usage the top process doesn't use much?

looking for cpu temperatures and stats
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

ok so i started up youtube and it seems that the issues doesnt start until i try to watch a video in HD. Then the CPU starts spiking from 50% -70% and i get the stuttering.

i was watching the sensors at the same time and it does seem like there is throttling going on. Why would this suddenly start happening? i never had any issue like this before

so i am assuming that its a heat issue so i am going to open it up and try cleaning everything and see if that helps
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

If the CPU heats too much, its starts throttling - running slower in order to not heat up even more while still allow working. If it continues to heat up it shuts down to prevent permanent damage.
the Tcase for 2600k is 73C, if your cpu reaches this temperature it is likely to start throttling.
intel 2600k specifications
nx-jojo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by nx-jojo »

usually the magic number is around 96. As in computers shut usually shut down when the heat sensor reaches 96°C. I do some overclocking myself and never had problems when being around ~80°C.

watch the temp of your cores in the task manager.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Intel provides Tcase for desktop processors and TJmax for mobile processors.
I posted whats available. Since i don't know the true TJmax i can only guess its 98C for 2600K as CPUID shows, but thats a software constant (which can be changed). Its typically either 98 or 105.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

so i did a little cleaning. the radiator for my closed circuit water cooler was covered in dust. i did my best cleaning without having compressed air handy and it looks better. i took the time to do as much cleaning of other areas as possible.

it seems it hasnt helped much. my temps are still around 95-97 while idle. I have no idea why its suddenly getting so hot. the rest of my case is cool it only seems to be warm around the CPU. i will try to get some compressed air tomorrow but its not promising if the large amount of dust i removed did nothing to help.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

did you assemble it yourself?
if not, perhaps they used a thermal tape or too much thermal paste, replacing the heatsink thermal paste with a thin layer can help a lot.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

Necromancer wrote:did you assemble it yourself?
if not, perhaps they used a thermal tape or too much thermal paste, replacing the heatsink thermal paste with a thin layer can help a lot.

No it was assembled by Maingear which has been known to be very good quality. Its been nearly 3 years now. I will contact their customer service as well. They are usually really good with helping any issues and there is still the warranty.

Thanks for all your help Necro.
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

Try downclocking your cpu a bit?

The 2600k doesn't run at nearly that clock speed unless overclocked, and while it certainly should be able to do an overclock like yours it might help.
"fraking game mechanics"
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

I agree with Necro. Seems like the thermal paste has "dried up" and needs to be reapplied. That could be why it was fine before but you started noticing it more now.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

Just saw this, just a long shot seraph but do you run utorrent?
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

I have utorrent but it does not run automatically and i haven't used it in a while. I dont think that is a reason because its not running when i have the issue. Im looking at getting some thermal paste