Building a PC

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Mack

Re: Building a PC

Post by Mack »

BlackIce Drop out Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) lol, use that money for better grafic or intel i5. :wave:
V_

Post by V_ »

Mack wrote:BlackIce Drop out Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) lol, use that money for better grafic or intel i5. :wave:
That version of Windows is just there as a placeholder. I can get a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro for Students (64-bit) for $70. Gotta have an operating system, right? I'd rather be legal with it, get the upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out.

Mongo, I'll check out the Fx8370, see if it's better than the Fx8350 or the i54690K. From what I can tell, it's about $40 more than the fx8350 for about 0.1GHz faster speeds. Am I missing some other benefit? Also, you're not the first person to mention 990X chipset, but I'm having a hard time finding one. Does anyone have an recommendations that I can start looking at?

What are people's thoughts about dual GPU's? Could I find something to rival the performance/price of the Gtx 960 and R9 280x?
BF3 C2: KI - Sgt | C3: Pride - Sgt | C4: Gladius - Sgt | C5: KART - Col | C6: UNSC - Col
RS2:V C1: A1 - Ofc | C2: SLOTH - HC
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

Crossfire/SLI is kind of a pain. Just get the best card you can afford.
Mack

Post by Mack »

for domestic use you buying a license, :roll: but whay spend any $$$, on net its free?
I see you support billionaire Bill G. k:shock:
250$ ower budget but but it is worth, peace till 2020
that I would have chosen http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjQ4vK
Last edited by Mack on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

FYI, I bought my parts at the MC on Ogden Avenue and they knock the motherboard price down to like 20-40$ when you buy together, AND they have an extra cheap price for the FX 8350 CPU. I think it was 120 in store.

Also, don't buy a copy of windows 8 yet. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/ ... users.html
V_

Post by V_ »

Fields wrote:FYI, I bought my parts at the MC on Ogden Avenue and they knock the motherboard price down to like 20-40$ when you buy together, AND they have an extra cheap price for the FX 8350 CPU. I think it was 120 in store.
Yeah, I'll definitely be going to MC. Good to hear that it'll make things cheaper.
Fields wrote:Also, don't buy a copy of windows 8 yet. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/ ... users.html
I'm not actually going to be putting this together until early June, so I'm not rushing out to buy Windows asap. Don't I actually have to have a version of Windows in order to get this upgrade though? Or are you pointing out this aspect of the free upgrade? http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898668/ ... s-too.html
BF3 C2: KI - Sgt | C3: Pride - Sgt | C4: Gladius - Sgt | C5: KART - Col | C6: UNSC - Col
RS2:V C1: A1 - Ofc | C2: SLOTH - HC
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

You have an OEM win7 key on that laptop; it SHOULD upgrade to 10 for free just like any other.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Just a reminder that discussing pirating of software, or any other illegal activity, is prohibited on these forums. Since no discussion of methods of acquiring or using pirated software have occurred I don't think any one has crossed this line, but several posts are skirting it by implying that the op should just pirate Windows instead of acquiring it through legal means.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :thumbup:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Shrapnel wrote:Just a reminder that discussing pirating of software, or any other illegal activity, is prohibited on these forums. Since no discussion of methods of acquiring or using pirated software have occurred I don't think any one has crossed this line, but several posts are skirting it by implying that the op should just pirate Windows instead of acquiring it through legal means.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :thumbup:
You're reading it wrong; he has a perfectly legitimate OEM key to use. :roll:
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

BlackIce wrote:What are people's thoughts about dual GPU's? Could I find something to rival the performance/price of the Gtx 960 and R9 280x?
Dual GPU is only worth if you're A) buying the top-of-the-line and want even more power or B) upgrading to get more life out of your old GPU/rig. Buying a 960 you're getting latest generation hardware/technology. For the same price you'd be looking at much older, used GPU's to pair. So unless you find an amazing deal on 2x 680's, you're probably better off going with a single card. A year or two from now if you want more power out of your rig you could buy a 2nd 960.

Dual GPU doesn't do a linear scale- you don't get twice as much power. It has some compatibility issues. The drivers and settings can be finicky. Also DX12 is supposed to utilize any mixed GPU's which will render current SLI/Xfire technology unnecessary.

I bought my 2x 680's because they were the best cards (short of Titan) at the time and I wanted to play in Surround (3 monitor). Since I no longer play in Surround, I could probably get by on a single 680. I occasionally (rarely) have to disable SLI for some games to work. Lots of problems if I try to install some Linux distros (Steam OS couldn't handle 2 GPU's for a while). Adobe Premier sometimes gets confused on GPU utilization with 2 cards. Over all it doesn't add much to my experience but it probably keeps me closer to my 144fps max than a single card would.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

for domestic use you buying a license, :roll: but whay spend any $$$, on net its free?
This is what I was referring to, not your post.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Dual GPU doesn't worth it. Theres micro stuttering and other problems. Better invest in stronger single GPU.

Discussing piracy or pirated software is legal. Pirating is not.
Activate with MTK.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Necromancer wrote:Discussing piracy or pirated software is legal. Pirating is not.
Forum Netiquette wrote: No Illegal Content! For clarification this also includes any endorsement of internet-piracy, hacks, cracks etc., as well as linking to such content
Forum Netiquette