BF 4 crash windows 10

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

BF 4 crash windows 10

Post by CaptJagermeister »

So I just upgraded to windows 10 last week and had no playing right after the upgrade but now all of a sudden BF4 keeps crashing on me. It's not a driver crash with a memory leak I've read about with other people , but it's BF4 crashing straight to desktop like randomly and also when using the chatwindow which is really strange to me. When I press J the game immediatly crahes or when I press J during the loading screen the chatbox will be open when I've loaded into the game and when I press esc the game also immediatly crashes.

My specs are as follows: GTX 970 with the latest Nvidia drivers, I5 2500k, Asus P8Z68 MOBO, Asus Xonar Essence sound card, 8GB corsair RAM and ofcourse running windows 10.

I also posted this to the Battlelog forum , but figured that maybe anyone from GC has some insight on this as I think it's really strange
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF 4 crash windows 10

Post by Jokerle »

FeelsBadMan

My upgrade to W10 went smooth and I had no problems so far.

Does the system log say anything specific?

Can u check if all drivers (also mouse, keyboard) are updated or if there is a windows 10 version out there.
I would also try a clean nvidia driver install.
Has there been a driver update since the last time BF4 worked?
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

The W10 upgrade on my laptop did weird things to my trackpad and I had to reinstall drivers for it to make it work properly. I'd recommend double checking your drivers/reinstalling them to see if it helps if you've not already, like Jokerle said.
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

I already did a clean gpu driver install which was necessary after the upgrade
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

I've always recommended against upgrading Windows from one version to the next because of unpredictable problems.

I suggest a clean install.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

So I just played an entire round without any crashes even when using the chatbox which made it crash before so I don't know what the hell is going on :|
Nix

Post by Nix »

Looks like another case of Frostbite™

For Windows 10, I'm having mouse issues. (Any mouse acceleration fixes yet?)
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Well the crashing is back now so I think I'm just going to do a clean install and see if that does anything
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

aaaaalways clean install ^^
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

The problem as I understood it is that in order to perform a clean install you need to first upgrade to Win 10.
you don’t actually get a Windows 10 product key — instead, your computer’s hardware is registered with Microsoft’s servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft’s servers, confirm it’s installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.
Since your Win 10 license seems to be tied to a specific hardware configuration I have no idea what's going to happen if you change your setup at some point and try to reinstall Win 10
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

You do get a key, but you have to pull it out of the registry. Look up guides for doing a clean install of Windows 10, they usually include a link to a tool that does it for you.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

CrookedBarrel wrote:You do get a key, but you have to pull it out of the registry. Look up guides for doing a clean install of Windows 10, they usually include a link to a tool that does it for you.

Look for the 'media creation tool'. You can either download an iso or use it to upgrade.
During the upgrade you can decide what you want to do: upgrade and keep all stuff, or delete it.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

CrookedBarrel wrote:You do get a key, but you have to pull it out of the registry. Look up guides for doing a clean install of Windows 10, they usually include a link to a tool that does it for you.
It's just a generic key to get the process going. The activation is still validated against your hardware signature. Regardless, in order to get that Win 10 generic key you need to complete the upgrade at least once. This is for a clean install from an external media.

It is possible as Joker mentioned to use the Media Creation Tool and do something similar to a clean install. The difference is that the application starts from within Windows and not from a boot device, so I'm guessing the software can validate you're using a genuine copy of Windows.

You can reset your Win 8/10 back to a clean state at any time: http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everyth ... dows-8-pc/
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Well I've found out that the problem is TS. When I have TS running I get the crashing I mentioned in the OP and when it's not running everything works fine which explains why I was able to play fine on Sunday. I've tried reinstalling TS3 but that doesn't fix the issue. I'm probably still going to do a clean install tomorrow
Edit: Well it's not TS itself but the TS3 overlay plugin I'm using
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

RazY70 wrote: It's just a generic key to get the process going. The activation is still validated against your hardware signature.
That's pretty much true of any Windows license key since Windows XP SP2 introduced activation though. The main difference between having the key or not, is the ability to call Microsoft when you've done some hardware changes and the signature isn't the same, and have Windows reactivated.
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col