Can't Install nVidia driver

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Can't Install nVidia driver

Post by Kismet »

I'm running 64 bit Win10, btw. Can't tell if I have the Anniversary Update or not. (Inscrutable Windows Update)

So, I got access to BF1 Beta today, and it required an upgrade to my graphics driver. I've had massive issues with this in the past, but I can't remember how I finally got it to work last time. I tried updating through GeForce Experience - failed. I tried downloading the driver from nvidia, installation failed. I restarted. Tried again with GeForce Experience - failed. Restarted. Downloaded driver failed.

Uninstalled device in Device Manager (which, strangely, didn't make my screen even flicker).
Scanned for Hardware Changes - detects a display device and uses the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
Some seconds later it shows up as NVIDIA GeForce 760 GTX with a yellow triangular ! sign for the icon.
Some seconds later the device is moved to the Other Devices group as a Display with that same yellow ! sign.
The properties of this Display say there is no driver installed (code 28)

Any recommendations to get the driver installed?
BF1 punked me, and now I can't play ANY 3D graphics games. Not even Rocket League :(
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Can't Install nVidia driver

Post by CognitoCon »

If you haven't already, you may want to use a driver cleaner before trying to update your drivers:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html

I had some issues with driver updates before and using this in safe mode as it instructs and what not seemed to help.
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

Should basically always do what cognito mentioned there. It's quick and painless and should all but ensure that crap works, outside of the drivers being shitty.
"fraking game mechanics"
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

Thanks! That did the trick.

WTF, third party tool necessary for driver install... yikes...
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

with the nvidia installer you can also choose between express and custom. With custom you can make a 'cleaner' installation as well.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

Yeah, I tried every variation with the "clean install" options and it failed every single time. It's a mystery.