New Mobo: PCIe or AGP? (Intel or AMD)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Templer

New Mobo: PCIe or AGP? (Intel or AMD)

Post by Templer »

I am thinking of buying a new mobo.....still not decided wether I want a
PCIe or AGP port on it....

Please gimme your Pro´s and Con´s and help me to ease my decision!

Thanks!
@8-Oblt.Templer|1st
@7-Oblt.Templer|TB (Infantry Orden Bronze, Infantry Orden Silver, Panzer Orden Silver, Kriegsverdienstkreuz)
@6-Obfr.Templer|KD (Infantry Orden Bronze, Panzer Orden Bronze, Panzer Orden Silver)

Smudge

Post by Smudge »

If you can afford it - go with the latest (PCIe)

Processors is a matter of ones own opinion, I have one of each in my machines and have no complaints about either, I just buy the best my (little) money can buy at the time.
Stirring it up since WAW #1
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Think A's

AMD
AGP
Asus (mobo)

you can get the asus 32bit boards w/AMD 3000 for under $100, and they are freakin solid.

I am not sure about AGP vs PCI, it seems the new cards are being offered on both. I have heard the AGP cards have better stability but have never had a PCI card to compare it to.

Good luck
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

I thought A's and got AMD, ASUS and AGP and Im very happy.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

PCIE - agp will not last now IMO.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

My 900th post guys, wow, has it been that long?

Yeah, I have bought my last AGP card. My lappy has an 8x AGP interface but I won't be upgrading that either. Alienware decided to put their engineers on PCI express software instead and no more upgrades past ATI 9700 Pro\128 8xagp will be made.

They lied big time about that and being upgradable is the biggest reason I bought it. I mean its easy enuf to change the vid card in it, just no reason to do so if nuthing new is being made for it.

PCI express and DDR2, multi core cpu's and 64bit Windows are the new wave. Catch the next crest, mate. It will do you good hardware wise for awhile.

AGP is done, Amd is dumb , ASus is run by the EC political communes, and I hear rumors of child labor laws being mangled over in the squad forums. Hmmmmmm! :oops:
ImageImage
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

ASUS = Affordable Systems by Underaged Slaves.
Mechlar
Location: Germany, Leverkusen, owning the parking place called Cologne

Post by Mechlar »

AGP is not supported anymore by the companies which want to be in the top10. Get a board with PCIe on it if you want to buy a new mobo.

(Hint for you: I have reinstalled latest drivers and I am on with the 'small' 128MB ATI 9800 Pro... I don´t think I have to switch the graphics board... If you think the probs are combined with your graca AND mainboard ignore these brackets ;) :D )

EDIT: Hey, don´t use triple A in combination with computer technologies, just for your personal joy to get best financial interests ;) Never ever listen to these triple A rumours in the IT-technologies... :D
US|101|Pvt.Mechlar|2B<br><br>@6-Obfr.Mechlar|KD<br>@7-Obschtz.Mechlar|TB<br>@8-Schtz.Mechlar|1st
PsycoGeek

Post by PsycoGeek »

PCIe, unless you are retarded. Then go with PCI, 32mb.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Yeah, I think by now it's secure tp jump on the PCIe bandwagon rather than sticking with good ole AGP. Not that it'll get you some performance gain now but at least it'll ensure you upgradeability in the coming years (and vcard upgrades are the most common, next to cpu).

As for the cpu brand, well I guess that doesn't realy matter that much. My P4's served me well during the past years but I'm quite confident that AMD's would've done just as well.
But for the mobo all I can say is that in my rig (4 years old and still going strong) and my girl's rig there's 2 Asus mobo's working and damn do they do a fine job. So my next mobo will most probably be an Asus again. :)
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

IT's all about price. If the sht costs the same get PCI-E. motherboard and vid card.

iF you can save alot by going agp you'll be fine with that.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

PsycoGeek wrote:PCIe, unless you are retarded. Then go with PCI, 32mb.
That would be funny cept I saw that card at Walmart last nite. Couldn't believe they would find a buyer. Probably won't. I also saw at one of the affiliated BF2 sites this morning that BF2 actually supports at least one vid card with 32megs of memory.

Wouldn't that be just like going to the movies just to find yourself at a crappy slide show. One frame at a time and someone keeps killing me.

I knew I should have bought that Dell!
ImageImage
Wrath-man

Post by Wrath-man »

Well...This is my understanding...AMD smokes the P4's, and PCI-e is the future of video cards. AGP has pretty much hit its limit...So in terms of cost, I would go with a PCI-e that's SLI ready, with the intention of buying another one when you can afford it.

This system that I have now, I just built within the last 2 weeks, and as far as performance in game, I haven't seen that much of a gain. (I had an AGP LeadTech Winfast 6800 GT), but everything that I have read is that SLI produces incredible gains.

If you're looking for some pretty good deals go into Ebay :lol:
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A VOTEABLE MEMBER

BF2/Camp 1
Image1E|FT|SoWi Wrath-man
WPGambit

Post by WPGambit »

i would say amd and pcie there what i have in this comp and it runs sweet as

i have a 64 bit still a bit unsure on it at the min still a problem with drivers

but i do have 2 other comps all amd 2100 amd athlon xp +
and a 3000 athlon xp +
You Do Your Worst - and We Will do Our Best"
ImageImage