Arg! New video card pwned me!

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Arg! New video card pwned me!

Post by Shrapnel »

Well I was able to run the BF2 demo fine on my projector when I was running with an ATI 9600XT. I've now upgraded to the 6800GT and neither the Demo nor the fullgame will run on my projector. When I start the game it loads up to the login screen and then crashes to desktop before I can click anything. It runs fine on my monitor with or without the added widescreen text (from an earlier post).

I don't think it's a card settings issue because I can run FarCry and Theif 3 just fine. It's just BF2 that is the problem. Any ideas or possibly something stupid I am missing? I installed the lastest 77.72 drivers (came out today). I'll try the ones that came with BF2 and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Tried the drivers that came with BF2 (77.30), problem persists.

BTW, can now run FarCry maxed out (including AF and AA) with no slowdowns. It looks wicked. :twisted:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Far Cry on full? That's nice...could be projector card incompatibilty...that's all I could think of with process of elimination...are you sure you didn't use a hammer to plug it in?
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Well, I recently upgraded my drivers for my ATI x800xt platinum, and after doing so noticed I was having the exact same problem as you, a black screen would appear, flash a bit, then back to desktop, then I realized my problem was in the video.con file in the default profile in my documents, in the file the games resolution was set to a resolution no longer supported by my graphics card. so I just set it back to 800x600 and everything went perfectly, got back in the game, found 1600x1200 to be the best resolution for me, and tada, worked fine, btw, I am running everything on max settings, except dynamic light and shadows which i have on medium as I found they help reduce the laggy effect, and I found farcry to look awesome on full settings, but the terrible voice acting and story killed it for me :P.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Thanks Dag, I'll check that out when I get home.

Yeah the story in FarCry is bad and the voice acting is some of the worst I've seen...heard. It is a fun game though, but it went downhill fast after you had to start fighting those stupid mutated monkies. :roll:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Yeah...and the boss battle...wow so anti-climatic, but no one said they were screenwriters...make a sweet graphics/physics engine...agreed those monkey things...it was like Half-Life at the zoo or something...
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Send your hardware specs and problem to EA support. They will get you an answer back, very quickly. That's part of the reward for registering your game, good support.

Winter :D
ImageImage
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Shrap, you were playing last night weren't you, did you get your new gfx card working after?
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Well the game runs fine on my regular monitor. I just have problems with getting it to run on my projector for some reason. I did contact EA about it the day after I got it. They have given me some things to try that haven't worked. I tried editing my video.con files as DaGrooved suggested but no luck there either. Now they are suggesting I run in windowed mode so I guess I'll give that a try.
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

I thought the problem was the graphics card, thats why I said edit the video.con file, I have no clue how a projection monitor works, I'll probably be 80 years old before I can even afford one.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Lol, they really aren't that expensive. 60" or so TVs go for $2-3000 and you can buy a nice projector and screen for the same money and get a 90"+ screen and much better connectivity for your PC.

It is not entirely problem free as you can see but it is much easier than trying to get your PC to display nicely on a RPTV.
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

I don't know, I think an IMAX theatre would be more fitting...beats both of them out.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage