"there is a problem with your connection" :-(

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

"there is a problem with your connection" :-(

Post by sushi »

in some 95-99% of ,y onlinegaming experiences (unfortunately 100% of my efforts getting on the GC BF2 server) I get the message "there is a problem with your connection" after the verification of the client data when the "join game" icon shows in the loading process of any map. I takes some seconds and the message is shown usually in the menu where you chose your side and kits. After that I am getting kicked to the Multiplayer menu again an get the message "your connection to the server has been lost".

I sometimes also get the "check your network settings message" that some other guys apparently also seem to experience while I hear other guys talking on TS so I assume my network is working alright.

I did update PB, I did try disabling my firewall and yes i did try cursing.
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Well, I asked you on TS but you never responded, but do you have a router?

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eate ... aqid=17654

^Thats ea tech support thing for connecting, most will find it useless^

Also if you edited any con files or anything like that you will be unable to connect.
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

You could try replacing your patch cable, or your cable/DSL cable, or plugging it into another slot on your router, or try a diff. NIC...shotguns work nicely too.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
KillShot

Post by KillShot »

Buddie of mine had similar problem. Ended up being his Fire Wall make sure you have it down. And including the Windows thing as well.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

yes I do have a rooter, as far as I understand my rootersettings I do not have any ports/things blocked.

8O here is what i experienced today: i disengaged my rooterfirewall, the MS firewall of WinXP and the softwarefirewall that I have and got on the GC server alright. I was able to play.

Than I reengaged all firewalls and was also able to get on the GC server without any problem.

Only difference to last night: there were only 4 ppls playing and the thing was not passworded.

So my guess is: it is not a firewall issue or a port issue since the ports don't change, right?

I got the same errormessages when trying to hop on other servers today though. 8O

What do you make otu of this part of the puzzle?
Night_S

Post by Night_S »

I get it is router :)
ImageImage
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Hmmm...you could always release and renew...sometimes fresh IP works well...

...when you say four people, it makes me wonder...'cause the amount of other people playing on a server shouldn't matter really unless your hosting...unless everyone else on that server has 56k and computers below the minimum specs...

You can try and just plug your modem directly into the cable and network feed, without your router and see what happens...
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Rooter? Hm, thing is the rooter has the DSL modem included. Will try to use this thing as a direct connection without using the rooter abilities.

Will report progress.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Awaiting the results of your in depth analysis in earnest. I was getting a similar problem on Saturday. Ping plotter gives me an ave. 115 to the server. In game console I was getting anything from 160 up with spikes to over 600. Along with the annoying "connection problem' messages - every 10-20 seconds or so.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

ok it doesn'T seem to be any firewall I use since turning them off does not do any changes.

I updated the firmware of my rooter/-dSL-modem-thingie (T-sinus 130 DSL) no effect.

I turned of the Voip in the audio options after finding this in some tech forum "Voice Over IP: Enabling Voice Over IP (VOIP) will cause slowdowns, and regular pauses on many systems due to the system overhead (mainly bandwidth) that it requires. Disable this option unless you really want to use VOIP and/or you have a high-bandwidth connection" -> no effect. (this would have actually explained why I had problems joining the full 'GC server while it worked on the empty one -but no)

I changed the Lan1 to cable setting- no effect.
I called the telephoncompany hotline - they told me that all port settings are open so - its not that either.

Oh and tonite i keep getting these "you have failed to connect, check your network settings" messages
Damn!

BTW: a computer wiz in the neioghbourhood said if the rooter would be broke it would be inpossible to get online at all somebody please confirm that. :roll: It would spare me looking in that direction
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

you have failed to connect, check your network settings"

I just ran into the same message after lots of games without a problem. Maybe its a failure on EA's part to provide adequete services for the expected fan base. Thats all I can come up with at this pointl. Update to follow.

Winter
ImageImage
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Update PB from there site, this seems to help the conx part of things.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

I'm thinkin' once again it might be EA (and their holy trinity of software inclusions), side of things....yes, if you have one of those combo. things with the router/modem together then if the router dies, the whole unit is gone, but I assume you've been able to browse the Internet (Humans are so pretentious, we capitalize 'Internet'), and at least connect to the games, so I doubt the whole unit is down.

...didn't catch if you checked your Network Card...actually I'm not a pro on DSL connections, because they need a bunch of wierd things to make them work, and if you have certain other electronic devices that you use, like phones, some satellite t.v.s, digital cable, or even security systems, it can mess with your connection.

I had the problem last night, just randomly, after normal fluid gameplay, so I think it's one of those things we're going to have to wait on/deal with.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
grinder

Post by grinder »

the problems you are experiencing with BF2 is familiar to me, when running on the Ranked servers the ping rates are very erratic - mine tonight was 156 but on the Un-ranked servers they always have low pings mine approx 17. I turned off Voip and reduced settings to medium and enabled upnp on the router and my ping came down on the ranked servers
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Update as follows: I rebooted and reset my linksys router settings to factory default.

I started the game back up and it registered nicely and took me to the empty server of my choice. Too bad there weren't any out there!
But hey, the network connection messages went away and the server that I did play on eventually was smooth as BF butter.

I hope to play on the GC server for my B-day. It's next April, so I should be able to get a good table near the ammo dump.

Does EA allow ranked servers to take reservations, hmmmm, probably not. LOL.

Winter :D
ImageImage