bying a router-> configuration advise

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

bying a router-> configuration advise

Post by sushi »

My Connation problems might be caused by my router/DSL modem box as far as testing was able to prove since I was able to access several servers without problems using the connection of a neighbour. Since I understand that several of you guys use T-online as well I assume it is not T-online in general. Also I have to restart my box at least once per weep since it seems to FUBAR it self completely and stops all connections.

Conclusion I guess I need a new box! :roll:

What shall I buy? I want a plug and play thingie without days of router configuration madness., but I want to make sure I do not suffer problems in gameplay.

Shall I go for a fritz box or for something fancy like this? (Links lead to shoping site in German language)

Suggestions appreciated.
Last edited by sushi on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
gribble

Post by gribble »

I have a fritzbox (i think it's the 7050, the one with voip/wlan included) and it works without any problems.
ok, let's say, the basic things works flawlessly.. but you can't do advanced stuff (like mac adress filter for dhcp/wlan and so on). Therefore i personally would buy the d-link one for my pleasure of being able to controll everything :)

ohh.. i just noticed your plug'n'play attitude :-) .. go for the fritzbox then, i didn't have to open any ports for my bf2 experience with my fritzbox, so it should be fine for you tech-noob :twisted:
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

go for d-link (i use router only, model 604) but u should look at:

ADSL Wireless Router + ADSL Modem, D-LINK DI-664, 4x LAN 10/100 Mbps, External

Standards
IEEE 802.3 10Base-T Ethernet
IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
IEEE 802.3 NWay Auto-Negotiation

VPN Pass Through/Multi-Sessions
PPTP
L2TP
IPSec

Advanced Firewall Features NAT with VPN Passthrough (Network Address Translation)
MAC Filtering
IP Filtering
URL Filtering
Domain Blocking
Scheduling

Device Management
Web-Based – requires at least Microsoft Internet Explorer v5 or later; Netscape Navigator v4 or later; or other Java-enabled browsers.
Media Access Control
CSMA/CA with ACK
LEDs
Power
WAN
Local Network—10/100

or if u want to spend more money take a look at some of ZyXEL models
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
Yob

Post by Yob »

I use a D-Link cable modem and a D-Link Airplus Extreme G wireless router. Very happppppy. Used to use Linksys :(
Try calling your broadband provider and asking which router they support.
If you don't ask, the answer is, "No."
My Campaign ribbons are around here somewhere!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

All these are good advises. I am still confused and will go to the Octoberfest. Image
Keep the info comming I will try and read tomorrow provided I am able to focus on Computer again.
Yob

Post by Yob »

You need a headband to keep your Beer Goggles on? :lol:
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I use a Linksys wireless, it has four wired and over a hundred wireless connections. One of the best and cheap at any store like Walmart or Comp. USA. I love it and it gets along with my various wireless and wired network cards without fail.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Having to reset your box is a good indicator that the box is trouble. Can you get a manual for it as some have internal logs that can show what errors are causing problems. Some of them have heat issues when crammed in somewhere. Most DSL routers tend to be separate from a DSL modem requiring you to have both if you want router features.

Does your ISP supply and warranty your box?

Your router will be dependant on your modem functioning correctly. Your modem will be dependant on your DSL line and your ISP's modem working correctly. Its not uncommon for a flaky bank on your ISP's end causing problems for a few customers while the rest have no problems.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

okokokokokokokok!!!

I bought the D-Link box and after a hard configuration fight I got it working with my new DSL modem and can go online again....

and....

keeping my fingers crossed....

I had no more Connection Problems since then 8)

I still have to figure out what prevents my system to go online “on demand “ only, there is this setting in the Router Confi utility, but somehow the router then does not seem to understand that I expect it to get going when I try to open an a webpage for instance.
Yob

Post by Yob »

Funny this router talk...my wife just brought home a new DLink and a pile of CAT6 cable. Now we are using a DLink Gaming Lounge http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/d-link_dgl-4300/. Fun fun!
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

sushi25 wrote: I still have to figure out what prevents my system to go online “on demand “ only, there is this setting in the Router Confi utility, but somehow the router then does not seem to understand that I expect it to get going when I try to open an a webpage for instance.
Any reason you don't want to be connected all the time?
I have seen trouble with every consumer router that went through my hands. Be it D-Link, Linksys or Fritz!. I try to reboot my router every now and then to keep things going smooth. Not convenient but works for me.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Yob

Post by Yob »

I reboot my modem more frequently than my router. Making sure to unplug the power and cable cords for at least 30 seconds as per the manual 8)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

sushi25 wrote: I still have to figure out what prevents my system to go online “on demand “ only, there is this setting in the Router Confi utility, but somehow the router then does not seem to understand that I expect it to get going when I try to open an a webpage for instance.
Not enuf info from the description. If you are not online, it can take 15-30 seconds for a DSL connection to be negotiated before info can stream. I leave mine connected.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

@Yob: as you surely have realiced already we both have the same router 8)

Does this DSL on demand work for you?