Hmm... 7800GT vs 7800GTX...

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Hmm... 7800GT vs 7800GTX...

Post by WoodenPlank »

Anyone know what the difference is between the two chipsets? Theres a small possibility I might be getting one of these and a new processor, and Im really wondering what the technical differences are.

Also, on Athlon 64s 4000+ procs, what does everyone think of 90nm v 130nm, ie: San Diego vs Clawhammer? I know the 90nm San Diego core is supposed to be cooler, but Im worried about it being pushed too far, like what happened with some of the 90nm Pentium 4s and seeing power issues with it.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!

Post by Guest »

X2 is the way to go.
GTX has more pipes.
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

90nm is better, havnt heard of any power problems yet
(make sure you get the e6 stepping with 1mb L2 cache, same price better gaming performance)

dual core (X2) only if you have to much money or do a lot of non-gaming multitasking.
for gaming the single cores are faster than the dual cores of the same type and i dont think that will change in the forseeable future.
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

I had a 7800 gtx and wasn't impressed in bf2. I thought my x800 xt ran better so I returned it. YMMV
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Dell has the 7800's listed as GTX and GTX overclocked. The ram was bumped up to 1300mhz on the Oc from 1100 on the GTX. Both running on dual 400mhz ramdacs.

Turns out the 7800 pci express with 256megs(429.00) is cheaper by a hundred bucks then the 6800 GTO w\256 megs on AGP(519.00).

Wow, they are charging you for having a motherboard that is out of date, eh?

Bottomline is that anything above a 6600 with 256 of DDR3 on a pci-express or agp for that matter is gonna get almost any rendering job done with all due speed and perfection. Look for a deal and call it a day, mate.
had a 7800 gtx and wasn't impressed in bf2. I thought my x800 xt ran better so I returned it. YMMV
That's weird and must be hardware centered, because I have my 6800 cranked up all the way settings wise and I have yet to see any graphics lag and Battleworld looks great, not great enuf to live there but it sure makes BF42 look it's age. lol.

Winter :D
ImageImage
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

What Rag said about Duals is exactly why Im not going to an X2 yet, even though my motherboard does support them. I use this box almost exclisively for gaming, so I really dont see any need for the dual-core yet.
Ive got a PCIX 6600GT with 128MB of RAM right now, which works well, but Im wanting to future-proof this box for a while, especially consdering my first gaming love is still the Unreal series (coughUnrealEngine3cough). Plus Id love to see what HL2 will look like with HDR lighting enabled....

Also, Rag: AMDs website doesnt even list an A64 4000+ with E6 stepping. The highest single-core Skt. 939 with it is a 3800+.
Ragman

Post by Ragman »

ClueXFour wrote:Also, Rag: AMDs website doesnt even list an A64 4000+ with E6 stepping. The highest single-core Skt. 939 with it is a 3800+.
right, i was thinking about the venice (has e3 and e6).
4000+ are all san diego with e4-stepping
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
DrZoidberg

Post by DrZoidberg »

If these sell sheets from ATi themselves are correct, you may want to starve off a 7800 until the new X1800's come a knockin'.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/R5XX/3

It's coming out in the next few weeks and has all the latest technologies.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

DrZoidberg wrote:If these sell sheets from ATi themselves are correct, you may want to starve off a 7800 until the new X1800's come a knockin'.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/R5XX/3

It's coming out in the next few weeks and has all the latest technologies.
After the last ATI product I used, Ill never go back. Ive come to hate their software and their methodology. I had an ATI video capture card that worked perfectly out of the box. Updated drivers and software, and it refused to function because I didnt have an ATI video card. When I got it working, the video had a 10+ second DELAY, and I was trying to record demos from a Gamecube game with. Hard to do drift racing when youre seeing what happened several seconds ago. Took forever to get everything uninstalled and reinstall with the older drivers, but I got it working again. After that, Im not interested in ATI product.

Not to mention Ive got an SLI motherboard...wouldnt wanna give up the possibility of two 7800s down the road ;)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

ATI = hopefully the latest drivers work with the latest game. Not just their paper launches and then many months later the product is readily available.

Nvidia = whores, but at least you know you will have a good time.

Decent review of GPU's
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... 17gpu.html

Battlefield2 results for the ADD people.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ ... gpu_8.html
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

And its those driver issues that make me really wary of ATI video cards. That and I LOVE nVidias display control system.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

ClueXFour wrote:And its those driver issues that make me really wary of ATI video cards. That and I LOVE nVidias display control system.
The NvTweak program is righteous stuff indeed. I had an ATI 9700 Pro with 128 megs on an 8x agp bus in my alienware lappy. Well, I still do.
It was very picky at times about drivers, I agree. But overall besides heating up enuf to remove upper leg hair of the non public kind if you tried to use it as a lappy, video was excellent.

Both of the graphic card giants put out bad drivers on occasion though. I have spawned into bf42 to witness invisible tanks and iraqis in desert combat riding around about 8 ft of lhe desert floor. Looked like they were on magic carpets with very deadly gun mounts you couln't even see as they rotated around to get a bead on ya. Same drivers caused snow blindlness to me if I got anywhere near a firefight on the maps.
I went home and reinstalled the old drivers, problem fixed. It came out officially two weeks later that those new drivers were defective and being recalled by ATI.

Just the opposite of what they taught us when we were driving pc's with 486\66 mhz cpu's, 32 megs of memory and the fastest bus on the mainboard maxed out at 33 mhz.A good vid card had 8 megs of ram. USB was still a dream and if you went into the system folder, plan on windows making you reboot, period. OMG!

The first rule of hardware maintenance was always use the newest driver version available to you. That is bad advice these days, if your drivers work well, don]t feck with em. Straight up!

Can still do a bang up job navigating around DOS 6.0 though. That was an operator dependant OS for sure. Made yoiu work at learning how it operated though, constructive way of playing, learning something as you play.

ImageImage

Post by Guest »

If you are familair with overclocking avoid the stock overlcock, do it yourself and save a bunch of money. X2 looks like the future. But an FX-57 would be nice. :D

My specs:
Amd X2 3800+
XP64 Pro
Abit fatal1ty an8 sli
msi nx7800gtx
1G corsair xms pc3200 (soon to be 2 G)
OCZ modstream 520
thermaltake xaser III 2000a

Runs BF2 on highest everything on a 64 man server perfect.

I have mixed feelings about xp64. Especially since I cant use the guru software. I am probably going to go back to XP32 untilo abit releases Xp64 compatible software.

64 bits is the wave of the future isn't it?

I hope.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

64 bits is the wave of the future isn't it?

Probably, but at the moment, the only benefit of 64 is its ability to manage much larger amounts of virtual and system memory.

Microsoft sent me a copy in exchange for an old copy of XP and six bucks for shipping costs.

I havn't installed it yet, as there are still perephials that have not had drivers released for that OS version.

ImageImage
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

A dual-core would be cool, but since this box is used 99.9% of the time for nothing but gaming then Im NOT concerned with dual-core yet. I can always upgrade later, but a 4k A64 smokes regardless, so no worries.

Xr: I never buy OCed cards, as Im quite happy with stock on anything. Plus MSI includes some kickass overclock software..whatcha think of your MSI card, as thats the exact one Im probably getting.