Video card temps and artifacting problems...

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Video card temps and artifacting problems...

Post by WoodenPlank »

Anyone know what the standard safe ranges for video card temps are? Ive been getting really nasty artifacting on some textures in BF2 lately, and its getting to the point where its all but unplayable. nTune (HW monitor) currently lists my GPU temp as 118deg Farenheit, with a CPU temp of 100deg. nTune thinks this is too hot for my CPU, but its WELL below the posted safe temps on AMDs website....
Last edited by WoodenPlank on Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

If that's both Fahrenheit and not Celsius then they are both well withing specs.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Yeah, thats F for both.
At least that rules out overheating. Now I just have to figure out whats screwing things up.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

What card is it? ATI are terrible for Fast writes, so always have that off in bios and in software.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Im running an MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-Express card. I also know its not a PSU issue, as this PC has a 680w PSU with three 12v rails.
Anyone have any other ideas as to what the heck might be causing this?
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ive decided to throw in the universal fix-all....
Time to reinstall Windows. Didnt wanna have to do it, but if its a software/driver issue like Im thinking it is, this will darn sure fix the blasted thing. Back in a couple hours after I get all my drivers back into place and get BF2 and X3 reinstalled (stupid Starfarce, stupid CD key registry entires....)

EDIT:
Ok, Ive got -almost- everything back in that I really play. So far, no more artifacting. Installed the latest video, sound and motherboard drivers, got Firefox reinstalled, and Im doing some selected security updates and trying as best can to avoid having to install Service Pack 2. The "security" features in it frankly suck and get on my nerves. I need SP1 for USB 2.0 support, though. *mutter*
Im on TS right now waiting for security updates to run and tell me its time for a restart.

FFS...I just realized that when I repartitioned, I set my windows partition as 1.5gb, not the 15GB I wanted. Missed a damn zero, and now I get to do this crap all over again. Wonderful.
Monk

Post by Monk »

Partition Magic can resize that for you.
If you have it.
Or can aquire it.
E2*PVT MonkMann
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Eh, too late. Already reinstalled AGAIN and fixed it the fun way. Ill makie sure to get that from my boss (hes got darn near any software you can imagine) and hang onto it in case I need it again. Im done with reinstalling drivers again, now I just need to get my games reinstalled.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I personally avoid partitions, but thats more of one's mindset. Also, I have a crappy old 10gig drive I use to see if I really need to wipe my main 80gig drive.

Pull main drive out. Throw in the 10gig. Slap windows on it with drivers, install game and see if problem still exists. If it does, then I point my finger at hardware and rehook my main drive back up.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ive got three drives in here, a 30GB PATA with Doze and a few small programs on it, a 100GB PATA with my downloaded files (patches, maps, demos, etc), and a 200GB SATA with all the actual game installations on them. ive gotta reinstall BF2 because of registry info, despite the fact that the files are still present on the SATA drive.

ARGH! I went to redownload iTunes from apple.com (using firefox) and the frellin artifacts appeared again!
Ive uninstalled firefox to see if that fixes it, as it always seemed to do it first there, then spread....

Edit again:
Well, no artifacting so far in BF2, but its still evident in X3: Reunion. Bloody hell.
GPU and CPU temps are fine, so thats still not the issue.
On a side note, if you have an nVidia card, you might want to hold off on the newest drivers, they seem to be causing graphical corruption on some weapon and vehicle models in BF2.

Post by Guest »

I ahve tried all the drivers and I went back to 72.72. Thats for a MSI 7800GTX and XP64. Everything works great now.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? A total reinstall of windows and drivers (TWICE!) hasnt fixed it, GPU temp is well within safe temps, its not overclocked, and theyre still appearing.
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

You have a bad vidcard? Maybe exchange it for a new one? Do a little return switcharoo or use your warranty?
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

I already sent in a ticket to MSI tech support and have gotten nothing back from them. Im really hoping it isnt a failed card....
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9771/screen0007px.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5153/screen0018et.jpg
Theres two screenshots showing what is happening. Ive seen similar problems on road textures, trees, vehicles and weapons.
The same problem is appearing in BF1942 as well. Heres a screenshot of our very own GC forums with some artifacting problems...
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8436 ... cts8yw.jpg
In firefox the artifacts will actually move when I scroll, too, depending on the layout of the webpage. Notice the artifacts are only visible on the background image, not on the forum sections.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Thats usually memory on the video card overheating or failing. Especially since scrolling just shifts the video memory. Memory tends to fail in rows or columns depending on how they manipulate it. Also look for any artifacts while windows is booting up before you even get to your desktop.

Only way to convince companies is to try the card in a second computer and tell them it does the exact same problem in another computer.

You can use Coolbits 2.0 to under clock your memory (in 2D and 3D option) by 25% to see if its a heat and not a failing memory issue.

Either way, I'd be deadset on RMA'ing that card ASAP as it can take a couple weeks total turn around.