New Pc problems.....or operator

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

RamRod

New Pc problems.....or operator

Post by RamRod »

I got my new Pc Friday....set it up and Dl'ed a bunch of stuff like patches and the FH mod.

However all my downloads were corrupted. I tried severeal sources from the internet but all gave error messages (as to "files corrupted" or something along those lines) when I tried to run them....BF World, FileShack, File Front...

Also I could only run BF2 single player without problems (looks beautiful). BF42, BFV locked up when loading the maps as single player(these also took several attempts to install correctly). Since I couldnt patch them I was not able to run internet games on any.

TS also had problems installing but after several attempts and telling it to ignore the problem.... it installed. PunkBuster also took several instances before installing (PunkBuster Setup...new?...lists all games and updates them automatically). PB was the last thing that I tried to install so I dont think it has anything to do with corrupted data.

I spent the most of Friday and Saturday trying to figure it out. Finally I had to take it back to the shop that built it...so I'm back on my old pc but still will not be available for gaming until it returns.

Hopefull they will figure it out but in the meantime any ideas would be welcome.

Computer Specs:

AMD 4200+ Dual Core
Asus Premium SLI Mobo
Asus 7800GTX video card (only one for now)
2 GB of Corsair XMS Pro
Raptor 74GB 10,000rpm HD (Games, Windows Files)
Western Digital 160 GB HD (Misc. Data)
Liteon DVD-CD combo drive
NEC DVD burner drive
Windows XP Pro
Norton Corporate Anti/virus
Nvidia Firewall
Windows Anti-virus and Firewall off
Daywrecker

Post by Daywrecker »

Would you happen to be using wireless internet?
--- Campaign 6 [SFB] --- --- Campaign 5 [HH] --- --- Campaign 4 [SCUM] ---
Image --------- Image ---------------- Image
--- Campaign 3 [SCUM] --- --- Campaign 2 [EC] ---
Image - Image
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

Nvidia has/had a problem with the firewall thats included with the drivers for nforce4 chipsets corrupting downloads. Just google for nforce4 firewall or something like that. Hope that helps. I need to win the lottery! Damnit. My athlon xp 2400+ and 9800 is barely enough to play bf2.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!

Post by Guest »

Nice rig!

Try uninstalling and then installing the Nvidia PCI Bridge Device File. Try uninstalling the Nvidia PCI Bridge Device File (in control panel-add/remove hardware, its called Ethernet Driver Componets, DL the file from here first).

Hope it helps.

Obviously since your rig is having problems burn the device file onto a CD on another comp and then install on yours. You probably realize this but I thought I would add it anyhow. GL!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

When you check and download the windows critical updates windowsupdate.microsoft.com (you better be), are those also corrupted when downloaded? If you're current on the criticals then do a custom check and install 1 or 2 software updates.

Where did you get the patches you applied?

Follow up on the driver leads people have posted.

If you have built this system yourself, did you do any kind of burn in? Did windows go on smoothly? For piece of mind you might want to loop a memory check www.memtest86.com, which is a download and best burnt as an iso image (its a bootable CD).
RamRod

Post by RamRod »

Great responses all ...thanks :wink:

Daywrecker .....I'm wired to the net.

After some research (Google) on Nvidia Firewall (nforce4) it seems that there are known issues of files being corrupted on download..........(thanks phil)

It may just take a changed setting as to setting "Active Armor" from the default "Offload" to "Not Offloadable" .....which sounds like a load to me :P :.

Of course HD issues havent been ruled out either :roll:

Hopefully the tech will be able to solve the problem .......I got faith in him :D......

If not I will be trying the other ideas.

Thanks again........I'll keep you posted.
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

screw sp2 believe me every state computer in WV is sp1, sp2 is nothing but problems, stick with sp1
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
RamRod

Post by RamRod »

Tech that built it thinks that its the dual core processor or more so a compatability issue with the gaming software. ...i.e. BF42 and the installer used by EA for the game and its patches. BF2 runs fine in singe player but still wont patch due to the corruption of the file even with a clean install of windows and Nvidia Firewall disabled.

Basically the software technology is lagging behind the hardware in this case. There are tools to make the dual core act like a single in some instances but it didnt work in this scenario. Looks like he will be swapping the dual for a single......the 4000 processor. We shall see.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Er ... don't get me wrong but how should a dual cpu fubar a file when downloading it? Same goes for installing software. I just can't see the logical connection...
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

[OT] OMFG IT'S CHICKENSALAD [/OT]
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

There are plenty of reason how a dual core or regular smp system affects software.

Afaik Windows XP has a Problem with it's Scheduler. If one of the two cores goes to a lower mhz rate to consume less power the Windows Scheduler (the magic that distributes threads between the two cores) might get confused.
Try to disable cool and quiet and see if that helps. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;896256

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.x ... dung/65035
This is german but Babelfish might get it translated. Most of the links should post to english sites.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
RamRod

Post by RamRod »

Yeah Chicken I wasnt convinced easily at first either. But if you look at the links Phil has posted (thanks again) its kinda of along the lines what the tech was referring to. Rather than trying to configure around it and hotfix it I chose to allow them to change the processor (at their expense) to the 4000 which I have read is comparable to the FX53....single core, but tried and true.

Hopefully this will remedy the problem.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

mmm. I have:

AMD 64 x2 dual core 4600
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum /SLI with onboard Soundblaster 24
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
2x Hitachi Stripe 154G in Raid
2 Gig of Mushkin ram
OCZ 600w PSU
silverstone tower with 120mm tunnel cooling.
etc.

I have no software problems and can play doom3 on Ultra high with complete smoothness as well as Half Life and BF2. While doing that I can also run Excel, cad programs and others. So think again Ramrod. I remember the days when I had to make sure all background programs were off before playing. Give some thought to the power supply though. This was the last change I made after doing some more background reading. We can expect that the next crop of games will make full use of dual core and you may regret upgrading to a faster single core.
RamRod

Post by RamRod »

Nice system Brummie......I'll have to upgrade immediately to keep up with you... :D

I know you are right about the future of Dual Core and about the regret. If the processor switch doesn't fix the problem (which I kinda hope doesnt in a way) as he says will, then we go back to the dual core and look at other components/software/updates again as I had said :? . If it does fix it, fine... I will update later to dual core :roll: .

Since I dont build computers for a living as this gentleman does I have faith that he will remedy the situation in the near future before BF3 comes out.

The PSU that's in the machine is an Antec 550 SLI Nvidia cert. dual rails and all that. Of course what I asked for initally was a 650 Silverstone Zues SLI...but it was not available at the time.

Thanks for the input.

Anyway I hope to get back to gaming soon....... this blows
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

the mobo is it the asus A8N-SLI?
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image