Minimum Requirements

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Minimum Requirements

Post by BRUMMIE »

I'm building a system for my son (BASHER) with parts that I have kicking around and with some new parts I'll buy him for xmas. I'm curious as to whether this system will play the game well enough. So is any one playing (and enjoying it) with less of a system than this:

P4 2.6 with FSB of 536 MHz and 512 L2 cache on an older ASUS A4T mobo.
512 mb of Rambus RDRAM
Video card - Radeon 9600
X16 cd-rom/dvd
HD Maxtor 6Y160P0

SiSoftware Sandra performance rating of PR2940 .

I will upgrade the vid card to a NVIDIA 6800gt . I'm stuck with an AGP card. I'm also stuck with the ram as an upgrade to a gig costs more than a new mobo and processor.

I'm going to put this in an Aspire case (lots of blue neon lights/fans and plexi panels etc to make him think hes getting a better machine than he is LOL) with a PSU of 350 watts.

For the super Geeks I have a secondary question:

SiSoftware Sandra tells me I have a P4 2.66 with 512kb of L2 and FSB of 4x 134 MHz (536 MHz), yet my reference book tells me that Intel doesn't make a chip with those specs. A Celeron Prescott exists of 2.4 to 2.8 has an FSB of 533 but only an L2 of 256 KB. A P4 Northwood exists with 533 and L2 of 512 KB but is rated at a clock speed of 2.4 GHz. Anyone got a better reference book or is Sandra off?
sushi
Executive
Executive

Re: Minimum Requirements

Post by sushi »

BRUMMIE wrote: I'm also stuck with the ram as an upgrade to a gig costs more than a new mobo and processor.
this is good I than stand a chance to actually get him cause his maschine will have some hard times running the game.
BRUMMIE wrote: I'm going to put this in an Aspire case (lots of blue neon lights/fans and plexi panels etc to make him think hes getting a better machine than he is LOL) with a PSU of 350 watts.
Love that one.
For the super Geeks I have a secondary question:
Since I don't fall under this specification I can only guess, that these guys simply used whatever processor they had in stock.

Still laughing about the flashy case thingie.
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

ram will be problem :(

350w might be bit to weak for 6800gt

yep, theres also p4 northwood b (533 fsb, 512 l2) from 2.26, 2.4, 2.6(6), 2.8 ghz
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Leroy wrote:ram will be problem :(

350w might be bit to weak for 6800gt
If its a high quality PSU, then 350w would work as I had one drive my 6800GT. Be safer with a 400 or 450 rather than risk random unexplained problems.

RDRAM, expensive stuff. I personally cant see playing BF2 with less than a gig. I have a friend that can barely play BF2 with P4 2.0 and 512MB. Takes him 5 minutes to load levels and a couple minutes for the chop to die down. Then he hopes the map isnt going to change soon. But he can play with everything set to LOW. Plus removing unneccessary processes helped. He has a 5700 vid card so that may be part of his need to set all to LOW.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

I have 768 crappy ram with a 9800 Pro and a P4 2.66. The levels take a little while to load but once I'm in I play fine. I have some settings on low but most on medium.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

P4 2.53 ghz
512 mb PC2100
Radeon 9600 XT

BF2 run perfectly with all on LOW, a level take (with the Verifing data) no more than 2 min to load (It became pretty quick to load a 16 players map with the new patch, less than 1 min).

Yeah, that still a low configuration, but it's the family computer, and I didnt upgraded it and it is a little old.
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Norwegian_Power

Post by Norwegian_Power »

P4 1.8 ghz
512 mb pc800
Geforce 6600 256mb

All settings set to low.
Frame rate depends on map, but on average 30-40fps.
A pain to fly with, but works well in other cases :)

Remember, its not the specs that make the gamer, skill wise that is :wink:
<3 BF42
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Athlon 64 3000+ (939), 1GB DDR (3200, not sure if I have it set as dual-channel; or not ATM), GeForce 6600GT PCI-X card
I run everything at the defaults (medium) except terrain quality and draw distance, which are both maxed (to aid in distance shooting in aircraft), and I easily average 60-80FPS. Levels load in ~60 seconds, ~90 for verify on DSL. Cant wait to see what my upgrade does.
Personally, if it isnt too late, Id drop money on the new motherboard and processor, especially since DDR is so much cheaper than RD, and you could get a PCI-X entry-level motherboard and save a bit on the video card (the PCIX cards are less than the AGPs usually). Youd have plenty of upgradeability for him down the road. If you go that route, Id go with an AMD system instead of Intel, mainly due to the price differences on the procs. My 3000+ cost me $150, and the 3.0GHZ P4 that was 64-bit enabled was $250. The Intel board to match it with LESS features was about $50 more than mine, too, and I got a top of the line SLI board.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
spesknight

Post by spesknight »

I have only 512 Mb of Ram and a Ge Force FX 5600, I play 800x600 or 1024x768 with medium details. The only thing that really goes slow is loading the maps, when connecting to a server, and some others slowdown while you enter a battle.
It is getting worse with the new patches, so I suggest to upgrade the RAM, too bad your RAM is so expensive...