BF2:SF Install problem

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

BF2:SF Install problem

Post by WoodenPlank »

Every time I try to install SF, the splash screen pops up before install, the loading bar fills, and the whole lot disappears, never to be seen again. No install, no CD-Key prompt, nothing. It does this with the 1.3 patch installed, AND with a fresh BF2 install. Ive tried copying the install files from disc 1 to a hard drive and installing from there, but it gives the same result. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Bernout

Re: BF2:SF Install problem

Post by Bernout »

WoodenPlank wrote:Every time I try to install SF, the splash screen pops up before install, the loading bar fills, and the whole lot disappears, never to be seen again. No install, no CD-Key prompt, nothing. It does this with the 1.3 patch installed, AND with a fresh BF2 install. Ive tried copying the install files from disc 1 to a hard drive and installing from there, but it gives the same result. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.
Just to state the obvious, you've done the above in the following order right?

1. Install BF2.

2. Install SF.

3. Install 1.3 patch.

Bernout
BF2 C-8 SFB Image
BF2 C-5 Cpt, Hogan's HeroesImage
BF2 C-4 Neutral BuccaneersImage
BF2 C-3 =EC= Cpt, 2nd Simian CrapflingersImage
BF2 C-2 =EC= SSgt, Hand of MontuImage
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Attempted to, yes. SF wont install, either before or after any patching.
Thoronath

Post by Thoronath »

I've had similar problems and i deleted the game the deleted any referance in the registry, rebooted and it installed fine.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Tried that, too, and its still not working.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

You may have to clean out the registry. Sounds like you have some strings that did not uninstall. Or they were damaged by the patch and won't uninstall because the uninstaller does not recognize them now.

Check EA troubleshooter page for strings to look for mate.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

If you've done a truly clean uninstall/brute force removal of BF2, then its back to doing a clean install of Windows. A few threads ago someone posted a BF2 reg cleaner.

You can try the "SFC /scannow" to see if windows files are corrupted.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I am now also having this problem where do I do the scan now thing that ash talked about?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Charger

Post by Charger »

It sounds like the install media is corrupted. When you copy to HD and try the installation from there, it's just passing on the corruption from the disc. :( SF from a disc??? 8O Since you have the key, can you install from network via EA Downloader?
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I dont know havent tryed that
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

My problem was solved with a reformat. It had to happen anyway due to graphics issues that cropped up, but BF2 and SF both installed fine afterwards.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Charger wrote:It sounds like the install media is corrupted. When you copy to HD and try the installation from there, it's just passing on the corruption from the disc. :( SF from a disc??? 8O Since you have the key, can you install from network via EA Downloader?
Not neccesarily. I had the same problem with my BF2(cd version), right out of the box. If it was corrupted from the factory, it would have caused me more problems on subsequent installs and it hasn't.

The hard drive trick works lots of times because of the slow speed,(relative to even the slowest hard drive) of the CD drive can actually slow down data transfer to the point of actuall stopping. I just know that it is considered routine by many gamers and nerds to do that when symptoms like Matsif's are present. It has worked for me many countless times.

Just like when you get a corrupted patch file for your game from a reputable file server. You want to blame the corruption on the server or the net but actually if you turn off all background applications and don't be doing anything on your pc that is resource piggy, like BF2 or graphics programs for example. you probably wont ever get a corrupted download again.

This is only required during the last two minutes of the download(when your pc is copying the file from your temp folder to where you wanted it to end up. .

ImageImage
Charger

Post by Charger »

Winter_Lion wrote: Just like when you get a corrupted patch file for your game from a reputable file server. You want to blame the corruption on the server or the net but actually if you turn off all background applications and don't be doing anything on your pc that is resource piggy, like BF2 or graphics programs for example. you probably wont ever get a corrupted download again.

This is only required during the last two minutes of the download(when your pc is copying the file from your temp folder to where you wanted it to end up. .

Nice catch, Winter! 8)

Do you guys really run all kinds of shite while doing installs? I'd consider that "Software Roulette"!

WoodenPlank, I can picture you (wearing a headband like Bobby DeNiro in that scene from "The Deer Hunter") sitting at your rig, reaching for the ENTER key... :P

I'm glad you all got fixed up by the way.
Last edited by Charger on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

click on start,
click on run,
type "SFC /scannow" without the quotes.
Hit enter
Have your windows CD ready.