Battlefield 3 - Some lessons learned

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

HumanSpeedbumpAK

Battlefield 3 - Some lessons learned

Post by HumanSpeedbumpAK »

Just thought I'd post some handy things I learned playing in a non-populated server today:

Guided Missiles do approx. 35% Damage to Tanks and APCs, but do 50% Damage when guided via SOFLAM. This applies to helicopters and jets, I have not been able to test Guided Shells from tanks or Javelins but I imagine it is the same 35%/50% swap.

The Guided Missile does 50% Damage to Jeeps/Buggies without a SOFLAM.

IR Flares, while selectable, are not actually functional when used by the Gunner of a Viper/Havoc. If using an Attack Helicopter the PILOT must use flares, the gunner flares DO NOT WORK.

The extinguisher is available only for helicopter pilots, not the gunner. It takes the same spot as the IR Flares.

The AGTM missiles on APC's do 40% to 50% damage depending on hit location. Flying the missile upwards then back down onto the top of the enemy tank/apc seems to increase the damage.

LMG's mounted on tanks WILL NOT damage helicopters, but the HMG will.

Lock on times with Jets are MUCH MUCH lower than lock on times for other vehicles when using Guided Missiles, seemingly to compensate for their rate of speed. This allows for jets to fire missiles at targets they've only seen for a few seconds. SOFLAM assistance accelerates this time even more, making jets possibly the most lethal anti-tank weapon on the battlefield if properly support by Recon or CITV.

The AIR RADAR unlock for Jets and Planes also reveals enemy LAND VEHICLES. This may be a glitch, but it is an obvious and glaring benefit over the Proximity Radar making it far more useful. Land Vehicles will not automatically be spotted but they will appear on your minimap. The Air Radar also increases the size and range of your minimap, expanded with the 'N' key.

Using the Extinguisher sets your vehicle health to 53% regardless of how much damage you had when you activated it. IE: if you have 1% health or 49% it doesnt matter, hitting 'X' will instantly put you at 53%. You must then wait for the Auto-Healing to kick in and do the rest.

Unlike the missiles on planes/helo's that are interupted by flares, man-portable AA can maintain a lock on an air vehicle even after flares have been fired. The only way to successfully remove a man-portable AA lock such as an Igla or Stinger is to hit the Flare AFTER the missile has been fired. Hitting the Flare early will allow the Man Portable to fire at you mere moments after you ignite your flares leaving you defenseless.

Smoke from a tank will lead active Guided Missiles away from you, even if you dont move. The smoke apparently scares the missiles into flying in random ass directions.

AGTM Missiles fired by APC's appear to generate a few feet in front of the vehicle, rather than directly from the barrel. The result is that firing at POINT BLANK targets may result in a miss even though you should have hit. To avoid this, make sure your APC is at least a few feet back from the target before firing.

That's all I remember for now... Happy Hunting!

Battlefield 3 Tournament Administrator
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Re: Battlefield 3 - Some lessons learned

I don't condone Stat Padding, but if you are having trouble obtaining some of the BASIC unlocks such as flares or heat seekers on public servers, try logging in to a LOW POPULATION conquest server. You can use helo's and land vehicles to Cap and Re-Cap points at 400-500 points a flag. This experience WILL be applied to whatever vehicle you are in when you take the zone. Don't be a douche and get EVERYTHING this way, but it's a great way to get yourself into competitive shape once you go back to pubbing.

That said, ALL of my unlocks are legit. I just noticed some other people doing this and thought it was smart, especially if you are having trouble. I don't have a life so getting shot down over and over again in a pub game didnt quite bother me as much, plenty of time to kill.

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Nice post HSB thanks. Good find on the tank health too Sup.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

HumanSpeedbumpAK wrote:
IR Flares, while selectable, are not actually functional when used by the Gunner of a Viper/Havoc. If using an Attack Helicopter the PILOT must use flares, the gunner flares DO NOT WORK.
I always roll with IR flares as the gunner in either heli, I can honestly say i have not had an issue with them not working.

Possible bug?
Smoke from a tank will lead active Guided Missiles away from you, even if you dont move. The smoke apparently scares the missiles into flying in random ass directions.
Not to seem nitpicky but.
Smoke grenades 'enhanced with metal filaments'that when launched remove laser-designation, spoof incoming guided missiles, and prevent enemies revealing your position to teammates.
So working as intended, it's basicaly the tanks version of flares not smoke that a normal tank would use for concealment.
HumanSpeedbumpAK

Ah good call on the smoke. I figured it was configured like flares for balancing but I didn't know they actually wrote it into the narrative.

HumanSpeedbumpAK

Im interested to try the Gunner flares with you ferrit.

We did a test with plank as the gunner firing flares with me locked on to him today, and while plank did receive a sound effect and screen message that flares had been fired, I never saw flares come out of his chopper, and my missiles continued to strike the aircraft. we tested at least 4 shots, and more than 10 "uses" of flares. He never once broke my lock or stopped a shot, but it could have been a bug with just that one game, or just that one map noshaar canals. we should test it again to be sure because if the gunner can in fact use flares then that makes attack choppers a whollllleeee lot more dangerous at high level. the pilot can take extinguisher, effectively saving the ship from anything the gunners flares miss making it one hell of a tough puppy to shoot down. combine that with guided rockets and guided missiles and it could take out anything on the map from beyond the infantry play area and deny any/all missile fire coming its way. LETHAL.

Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

HumanSpeedbumpAK wrote:Im interested to try the Gunner flares with you ferrit.

We did a test with plank as the gunner firing flares with me locked on to him today, and while plank did receive a sound effect and screen message that flares had been fired, I never saw flares come out of his chopper, and my missiles continued to strike the aircraft. we tested at least 4 shots, and more than 10 "uses" of flares. He never once broke my lock or stopped a shot, but it could have been a bug with just that one game, or just that one map noshaar canals. we should test it again to be sure because if the gunner can in fact use flares then that makes attack choppers a whollllleeee lot more dangerous at high level. the pilot can take extinguisher, effectively saving the ship from anything the gunners flares miss making it one hell of a tough puppy to shoot down. combine that with guided rockets and guided missiles and it could take out anything on the map from beyond the infantry play area and deny any/all missile fire coming its way. LETHAL.
Name the time and place i'll be there.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

This is awesome research, Herpes! I can't wait to hear about the second round of findings :)

Just a note to anyone who followed Sup's link: remember, the result is the tank's health after being hit, not the amount of damage done. Basic rule of thumb: hit the tank in the ass.
Hi!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

4 in the front, 3 in the side, or 2 in the rear for the tank.

I'm up also for training in the future too. Some servers are set to start with lower than 8 people. There is alot more to be learned from the equipment. The dogfighting in jets with minimal ground interference is priceless.
I noted that heatseeker missiles can be dragged into terrain like hillsides. I'm having some success of stalling/floating after hitting the ceiling to get out of a fight. Regain jet control after getting your altitude back down.

I have concerns about using unlocks in the campaign. People who have never used the unlocks might as well not have any (with some of them). Understanding the unlocks and its effectiveness/limits is pretty key with vehicles. But this should probably be in a thread of its own and the HQ's weighing in on their ability to bring an effective army to the field.
sledgehammer

Post by sledgehammer »

great to know !! tanks hate it in the BUTT
Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible.
- Stanislaw Lem
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Be interesting to know the top and bottom numbers of a tank and not just the 4 sides.
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

Ash2Dust wrote:Be interesting to know the top and bottom numbers of a tank and not just the 4 sides.
Well i know for sure top is weak as javelin disables in one hit if it's being designated. (if the damn thing hits)

But then again that could possibly be just javelin mechanics, Could deffo do with getting above a tank and hitting it with rpg's to find out.

I'd also like to do some testing with someone with A-91 v's G36C, Would like to go off to a corner of the map and put 1 round into someone's chest at close range with both weapons to see which has the highest base damage. Same for medium and long range.

Wish they'd hurry up and fix the un-ranked server crap.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Ferrit wrote:Well i know for sure top is weak as javelin disables in one hit if it's being designated. (if the damn thing hits)
This is when you hit it via SOFLAN, right?

Anyone happen to know the threshold to get "disabled" on a vehicle? I imagine it becomes disabled after it has reached a certain percentage of damage...
Hi!
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

Goggles wrote:
Ferrit wrote:Well i know for sure top is weak as javelin disables in one hit if it's being designated. (if the damn thing hits)
This is when you hit it via SOFLAN, right?

Anyone happen to know the threshold to get "disabled" on a vehicle? I imagine it becomes disabled after it has reached a certain percentage of damage...

40 or 50% iirc