No gun glitch survey

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Which server have you experienced the no gun bug on?

EU
55%
NA
33%
None
13%

Total votes: 95

Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: No gun glitch survey

Post by Fanne »

hm, had it on pubs once or twice as well, but there may be more ways to get a no gun glitch.
On Sat I had it last map on EU more than 60 % of the time -killed the fun for me, I m not good even with a gun :lol:
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

happens only in GC. :|
thallus

Post by thallus »

1. I've only had it happen in GC.
2. It happens more with the EU server than the NA server for me.
3. It has happened very few times for me on NA Server, I live in USA, Phoenix Arizona.
4. It happened Zero times to me this past weekend 3/16/2013. Tons of other people were having the problem, and it was weird to not have it happen to me. Every time I died and Spawned again or was Revived I expected it to happen, especially with how much other people were having the problem.

I suspect it has something to do with a script in the GC server code. Is any kind of MOD or something running in the background? I know we were running Zombie on it last campaign during the Free Days. I have no experience to back up my guess, It is just something I'm throwing out there.

It could also possibly be due to lag, I know it happens on the EU server for me more than the NA.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

It's only happened to me on GC servers from what I remember, usually on the EU server. I've been searching the internets trying to identify what might be the cause but haven't found anything decisive. There are a couple different versions of the "No gun glitch". Some where you can shoot, some where you can not. Some that come back after entering and leaving a vehicle. Most of the results I've found were for console games though and usually due to a cache and/or disc read error.

I'm curious if the number of times the glitch has been experienced per server changes with geographic location. I.e. do EU players have it happen more on US servers and vice versa? If so, it has likely has to do with user latency. However, since it happens for multiple people at the same time and can happen again even after a user restarts the game (as happened to me last Saturday), it means it is likely a server side problem.

If the glitch occurs later in the day on servers (which it seems to do) I would guess it would have to do with either physical or virtual memory on the server having issues. If the glitch ever happened immediately after a server reboot, that would mostly disprove this theory. However, from what I can tell, the glitch usually appears after several rounds of no issues. There have even been a few cases where the server crashed shortly after the glitch started occurring (such as the Sharqi match either last campaign or the campaign before) This makes me think it's a memory leak of some sort. If it's inherent to the game's program, there is little that we the users can do to stop it. Perhaps upgrading the physical memory of the server could help, but if it's a memory leak, it will only delay the inevitable.

Alternatively, we could always reboot servers immediately prior to battledays and perhaps take a brake at 25% and 75% into the battleday to reboot the server and clear memory/cache. Hopefully this would stop the glitch from happening before we switch servers but rebooting and reorganizing would also take time away from the battle day so there is a trade off.

I really want this problem addressed ASAP though so if anyone has better ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Edit: I'm curious for those who are involved with other BF3 groups, (cM, EGO, LVL, etc.) has this happened during games on others' servers? I don't think there are many communities that play as long as GC does on Saturdays; LVL probably is the closest to amount of time of continuous playing. I might try to contact them directly and ask if they are aware of the issue.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Kilo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kilo »

zorplex wrote:
Edit: I'm curious for those who are involved with other BF3 groups, (cM, EGO, LVL, etc.) has this happened during games on others' servers? I don't think there are many communities that play as long as GC does on Saturdays; LVL probably is the closest to amount of time of continuous playing. I might try to contact them directly and ask if they are aware of the issue.
21CW plays 8 hour battles and I've never experienced the glitch there.
Battlefield Tournament History
BF3C4: STAR Infantry Private 2Image
BF3C5: LOD Infantry Private
BF3C6: UNSC Infantry Private First Class
BF4C1: USSR Infantry Conscript
BF4C2: GoCI Infantry Private First Class
BF4C3: LN7 Infantry Private
BF4C4: JANUS Armor Private
BF4C5: KTSS SAS Captain
BF4C6: SAD Infantry CorporalImage
BF4C7: GC Infantry Captain
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I strongly believe this is a server side problem.

The serve doesnt hand out the weapon unlocks/info and thus the client thinks soldier has no gun at all (and then doesnt load the gun texture)/ That would explain somehow the different staged of the no gun glitch.
If read about memory leaks in the multiplay server and that user restart the server every 4-5 days. There were also some server logs posted. Do we also have access to some/any logs ??

What is different between GC server settings and the settings from other communities?
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Robawillis
Executive
Executive

Post by Robawillis »

zorplex wrote:It's only happened to me on GC servers from what I remember, usually on the EU server. I've been searching the internets trying to identify what might be the cause but haven't found anything decisive. There are a couple different versions of the "No gun glitch". Some where you can shoot, some where you can not. Some that come back after entering and leaving a vehicle. Most of the results I've found were for console games though and usually due to a cache and/or disc read error.

I'm curious if the number of times the glitch has been experienced per server changes with geographic location. I.e. do EU players have it happen more on US servers and vice versa? If so, it has likely has to do with user latency. However, since it happens for multiple people at the same time and can happen again even after a user restarts the game (as happened to me last Saturday), it means it is likely a server side problem.

If the glitch occurs later in the day on servers (which it seems to do) I would guess it would have to do with either physical or virtual memory on the server having issues. If the glitch ever happened immediately after a server reboot, that would mostly disprove this theory. However, from what I can tell, the glitch usually appears after several rounds of no issues. There have even been a few cases where the server crashed shortly after the glitch started occurring (such as the Sharqi match either last campaign or the campaign before) This makes me think it's a memory leak of some sort. If it's inherent to the game's program, there is little that we the users can do to stop it. Perhaps upgrading the physical memory of the server could help, but if it's a memory leak, it will only delay the inevitable.

Alternatively, we could always reboot servers immediately prior to battledays and perhaps take a brake at 25% and 75% into the battleday to reboot the server and clear memory/cache. Hopefully this would stop the glitch from happening before we switch servers but rebooting and reorganizing would also take time away from the battle day so there is a trade off.

I really want this problem addressed ASAP though so if anyone has better ideas, I'd like to hear them.

You can't just increase the server's memory like that, most providers will put multiple game servers on a certain node and therefore increasing the server's memory would not only affect use but anybody on that node. Multiplay are extremely unlike to increase their memory like that and are even hesitant in formatting our server as well as per a request I sent out last Saturday after the euro problems.

Memory usage is extremely tricky as we don't have direct access to the box nor will we ever get direct access, we are in the hands with multiplay staff which have confirmed with me that the files are all correct. The main difference between our server and a unranked server is the fact that with a ranked server you have to contact EA Server's to unlock achievements/weapons and other various stuff. I would see this as more of a network issue on the box itself than with memory issue more likely certain packets are either being dropped or not generated and thus causing an adverse affect with clients.

If I recall correctly servers handle large maps by hoping that conflict is spread across the entire map not around a concentrated area. As soon as the number of events increases around a certain flag/location then it is put under large amount of stress. The only true way of fixing that would be to either get a provider which would give you an entire node to yourself or look at a dedicated box which we would have to forfeit our direct access to due to EA's stupid ranked server provider policy
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Googling around, the PS3 version has the same problem, which makes it hard to find PC version. But there are many other people having the issue.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo ... 048215459/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo ... 231255014/
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/fo ... 367376289/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALhak3tkTk

No mods on the server (EA doesnt allow it).
No scripts running. Only thing a zombie script does is tell the server to move players to other team, adjust damage balance and broadcast messages.
LongBowNL
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LongBowNL »

Robawillis wrote:(...)
If I recall correctly servers handle large maps by hoping that conflict is spread across the entire map not around a concentrated area. As soon as the number of events increases around a certain flag/location then it is put under large amount of stress. The only true way of fixing that would be to either get a provider which would give you an entire node to yourself or look at a dedicated box which we would have to forfeit our direct access to due to EA's stupid ranked server provider policy
I agree that this seems to be the problem.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

After the high ping issues I had in the EU server on saturday I contacted my ISP and they came over today for a check-up, they also changed my modem for a more modern one. So, I just tested my ping again in the EU server and it's still above 350/400, which is unplayable for me, I normally hit 250 max. I tested other EU servers, including a Multiplay UK one and everything is normal. Does anyone know what may be causing these ping issues? I'm really bummed out because I will only be able to play in the US server. :(
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

mrBLUE9 wrote:After the high ping issues I had in the EU server on saturday I contacted my ISP and they came over today for a check-up, they also changed my modem for a more modern one. So, I just tested my ping again in the EU server and it's still above 350/400, which is unplayable for me, I normally hit 250 max. I tested other EU servers, including a Multiplay UK one and everything is normal. Does anyone know what may be causing these ping issues? I'm really bummed out because I will only be able to play in the US server. :(
You always had that amount of ping? It changes?

It seems as eventhough you have a lower ping on the same country, MAYBE the ubication of the GC servers is on another site which your ISP trace through a longer route.

Im from ARG and i normally hit 230-250, you being on Brazil (although depending where exactly do you live) should have a lower one.

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

elchino7 wrote: Im from ARG and i normally hit 230-250, you being on Brazil (although depending where exactly do you live) should have a lower one.
I always had 230-250 too, just this weekend that it went up to 400 and it's still there. :(
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Really bad waves of glitches today.

There's only one thing we haven't tried, because it will be painful: Completely disable all plugins and admin the server from the web interfaces. This will slow things down but appears doable, and who the hell knows, maybe it will fix the glitch.
ImageImageImage
archdirtydigger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by archdirtydigger »

Extremely bad today. Had the glitch on both servers but on the NA: Bandar it got ridicoulus. for most of the last round I had no gun atall. It seemed to be contadious since guys spawned in on me and got the glitch.
This really needs to be fixed since it is killing the enjoinment of the game. In a bad way.
BF3C4: Image
BF3C5: Sergeant
BF3C6: Image
BF4C1:--
BF4C2: Image
BF4C3: LN7 Image
BF4C4: JANUS
BF4C5: KTSS
BF4C6: Image
ZebraPeps
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZebraPeps »

archdirtydigger wrote:Extremely bad today. Had the glitch on both servers but on the NA: Bandar it got ridicoulus. for most of the last round I had no gun atall. It seemed to be contadious since guys spawned in on me and got the glitch.
This really needs to be fixed since it is killing the enjoinment of the game. In a bad way.
Didn't play Bandar, so didn't experience the gun glitch on NA server, Sabalan pipelines was fine, maybe due to TA did something or because it was infantry only.
However... 1st round of Karkand (last round on EU server) was pathetic. Most of our squad (8 man squad) had the gun glitch for what seemed a very long time during the round...
The gun glitch for me started once I spawned on SL who had the gun glitch, so it seems to be contageous - as digger wrote.