The Campaign System is Finally Complete!

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

The Campaign System is Finally Complete!

Post by Shrapnel »

I'd like to introduce everyone to the new version of the classic GC "Risk" based campaign system.

First a little background (for those that don't care just scroll down to the link). The Risk system was first developed by a group of founding members headed by Ghoul way back when GC was first born. The rules were refined throughout the 8 campaigns GC played using BF1942 and the 2 campaigns played using BF:V. GC's campaign system was one of the biggest features setting us apart from the other BF1942 tournaments. Indeed with the "Risk" campaign system and Ghoul's custom mod, GC was THE tournament for anyone wanting to play organized BF1942 (and it still is THE tournament for BF2 imo).

The system was not without it's drawbacks though. It is a very admin heavy system. There are many moving parts that needed to be updated at least 7-8 times a week. For this reason and a few others (including wanting to try something new) GC decided to make a new campaign system for BF2. One that had much lower admin requirements, resulted in shorter campaigns and was easy to understand. This system stuck around for a few campaigns and was then changed into the system used today.

Recently there have been several members who have not been satisfied with the experience provided by the current campaign system. Disgruntled veteran types mostly...you know, the guys they made TAs. :P So they set out to bring back the campaign system GC used with such success during the BF1942 era. However, they wanted to make the system less admin intensive and needed to do quite a bit of editting to adapt it to BF2. Additionally there was the issue of the current GC schedule. Back in the BF1942 days GC used to play 6 hour battles on both Tuesday and Saturday. Plus one Saturday a month we played an 8 hour battle. 8O

For a number of reasons the BF2 Dev team (after much deliberation) did not want to change the current schedule and instead opted to create a new sub-section to the campaign rules which would allow us to keep our current EUBO/NABO schedule. The options you'll see for Tuesday battles were their answer to this problem.

The BF2 Dev team has spent the past 7 weeks (exactly 7 weeks to the day actually) making these changes and developing this new campaign system. It was a lot of work and there were many spirited debates, but I think the end result is something GC can be proud of. I'm greatly anticipating seeing this system in use during C8.

Before I post the link to the rules, I want to take a moment to thank all of the members of the BF2 Dev team and the Executive for all of their work on this system. A very big thank you goes out to DaGrooved1, Goggles, madcow, Von Krieg, Stonie, bakeratc, Kampion, Brummie, Cheesy, Thur, Winter Lion, ph1l0r, and a very special thanks goes to Ghoul for his advice and all the hours and hours he put into creating the original system.

Now I give you the new Campaign System (put on your reading glasses). 8)

To go along with our new campaign system we have a new campaign map (Note:this isn't the final version). Designed by DaGrooved1 and Cheesy (great work guys! :D ).

The TAs can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of this system (please be gentle 8O ).

Please keep in mind that the votable members will still have to vote this system into use. We'll give everyone some time to look it over and post their comments before then though.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
MajorBurner

Post by MajorBurner »

respect .....
Campaign 2: Neutral Image / Campaign 3: Neutral Image
Campaign 4: SCUM / Colonel Image/ Campaign 5: HH / SCA Image
call me :x & :lol:
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A VOTEABLE MEMBER
j0n3s

Post by j0n3s »

looks great to me! good work!
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

Great Work on the tight schedule, you can relax and have a beer now

Great Work
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Excellent work guys. Really looking forward to this campaign now.
Philippx1991

Post by Philippx1991 »

Nice work we have the best camp ever :D
=GC=Campaign8:Image

=GC=Campaign3:Image =GC=Campaign4:no bling bling=GC=Campaign5:Image

=GC=Campaign6:Image=GC=Campaign7:Image
Vortex

Post by Vortex »

Looks pretty intense.
KILL to DIE
speed_demon

Post by speed_demon »

I may just call out of work the first Saturday battle for some Risk. Super!

...Now all we need is FH2...eh thats another topic.
GC BF1942:
5A|2|Pfc|*
6A|M|Capt.
7R|1|Sgt.*

@8-Maj.
GC BF2:
C1: US|SF|Lt.
C2: 3E*PVT
C7: BA*CPL
C8: ]C[Csm
C9: Neutral
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

...Now all we need is FH2...eh thats another topic.
Damn straight, but yes, another topic.
Unit1

Post by Unit1 »

Looks and sound darn good to me.
Cant wait to get started :wink:
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

good ol' times come back :D

great work !!

just one question:
Black Ops battles will be conducted as follows:

1. They will be played on 16-player maps
no more Infantry only then ?? or just forgot to add it 'cos you know it...
and ( ok 2nd ):
BFI I guess we still have a battle for initiative, for me it belongs to the system

What sounds best to me is Quell Unrest, I just like unrest's :twisted:
edit:
have to donate, so I can vote on this !
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Fanne wrote:no more Infantry only then ?? or just forgot to add it 'cos you know it...
and ( ok 2nd ):
BFI I guess we still have a battle for initiative, for me it belongs to the system
City battles will be done with infantry only except on the PoE2 maps which do not support that option.

Yes we will still have a BFI.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
j0n3s

Post by j0n3s »

oh, no. no infantils only! *cry*
Titi

Post by Titi »

j0n3s wrote:oh, no. no infantils only! *cry*
What?! you do not enjoy those nade spam fests? Standoff at the railroad tracks on Oman comes to mind .....

I always thought just the use of 16 player maps dumbed down the quantity of 'killing' vehicles enough to be a compromise, but apparently those who have the power have other ideas ....

Maybe another possible compromise is to have infantry only on larger maps, that way I would have some place to go on the map which is not next to a dozen of my teammates and ripe for nading.

Or infantry "orientated" maps for BO.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

As I understand it BOs have been Infantry only for awhile now. This is not something the TAs decide, this is a voteables issue.

Anything that affects gameplay is decided by the voteables, the TAs only manage the campaign and enforce the rules voted into existance by the voteables.