Moderator: Executive

Goggles
Executive
Executive

Battlefield 3 Will "Blow People Away"

Post by Goggles »

SOURCE
DICE Founder: Battlefield 3 Will "Blow People Away"
According to former DICE CEO Fredrik Liliegren, the red-hot Battlefield franchise won't be taking a hit in the quality department any time soon. Speaking to Gaming Union, Liliegren shared his thoughts on the long-awaited PC sequel, saying "I think it's going to absolutely blow everyone away, but I can't tell you what it is, but it will blow people away."

Though Liliegren left DICE in 2006 to start Antic Entertainment, he saw the early prototypes for Battlefield 3 before he left. "I know what they were talking about on the PC side for [the next] Battlefield, and they haven't announced any of that yet, after three years, so I know what's coming, and I still can't talk about it because I'm still under NDA [non-disclosure agreement]," he said.

While the NDA prevented him from talking about specific game features, he also used the opportunity to take a shot at the rival Call of Duty franchise. "That's why it's going to blow people away, because it's not Modern Warfare 2 PC, it's not that experience," he said.

The hype reflects what former EA COO John Pleasants said about the game last year. “I’ve had the luxury of looking at Battlefield 3 over at DICE in Sweden and was highly impressed by the way the team is working on that product,” he remarked. “Of course, that’s not [coming out] in the fiscal year, but that is a product that is looking very good.”

As a die-hard Battlefield 2 fan, I've been waiting for news about this game forever. With Bad Company 2 shipping next week, maybe we can look for an announcement in the coming months.
Color me curious! Personally, I really hope they keep the entire destructible environment thing that BFBC2 has going.
Hi!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: Battlefield 3 Will "Blow People Away"

Post by matsif »

well IIRC dice wanted to put all that stuff in bf2, but EA rushed them out and thus it didn't make it into release.

it would be awesome I agree, but they would have to tone down the airforce cause it was OP in bf2...with destructible environments, there would be nowhere to hide from the airforce making it more OP than it was in bf2.

just imagine karkand with destructible environments tho...the nade spam...oh god the first point wouldn't exist by the end of the map!
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

What can we do to prevent ourselves being 'Blown Away'? I would really rather not be...
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

matsif wrote: just imagine karkand with destructible environments tho...the nade spam...oh god the first point wouldn't exist by the end of the map!
Oh man, you're totally right... Karkand would be amazing with destructible environments! There would be nothing left of the entire city after a good round! Or imagine one of those classic Sharqi 16 standoffs from the old days... it wouldn't be a sniper/medic standoff anymore since you could just blow up all cover!
Hi!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Goggles wrote:
matsif wrote: just imagine karkand with destructible environments tho...the nade spam...oh god the first point wouldn't exist by the end of the map!
Oh man, you're totally right... Karkand would be amazing with destructible environments! There would be nothing left of the entire city after a good round! Or imagine one of those classic Sharqi 16 standoffs from the old days... it wouldn't be a sniper/medic standoff anymore since you could just blow up all cover!
sharqi 32 or 64...well they'd have to change the US helipad to the ground because the first thing MEC would do would be to destroy the TV station with tv guided missiles lol

the island of zatar....would be covered by water. seriously, with the amount of crap that point takes in any given round of GC play between tanks and apcs, tow/at rockets, arty, bombs, grenades, mines, c4...that point would turn into the hole to the other side of the earth by the end of the round
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I'm used to get blown away. Hopefully its more like BF2 was and not the laggy console port BC2 is. Matsif I'm positive someone will make a BF3 Karkand map. Should be amazing joy
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

I am sure they will find something to annoy us ..... like the road they are going with playernumbers: bf2: 64 players, BC2: 32 players, Bf3: you do the maths;-)

And I can't wait to rant about that stupid Jap. map that surely is going to show up again.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

sushi25 wrote:I am sure they will find something to annoy us ..... like the road they are going with playernumbers: bf2: 64 players, BC2: 32 players, Bf3: you do the maths;-)

And I can't wait to rant about that stupid Jap. map that surely is going to show up again.
lol sushi. hopefully if they put wake in bf3 we will have battleships again so we can just shell the island until it doesnt exist anymore (see the central island of zatar example above)

and I think if they make bf3 pc only they will try their hardest to make it 64+ players. thats one of the major complaints I've heard about bc2 right now, and hopefully they realize their mistake.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

sushi25 wrote:I am sure they will find something to annoy us ..... like the road they are going with playernumbers: bf2: 64 players, BC2: 32 players, Bf3: you do the maths;-)

Maybe you won't be able to crouch any more...who knows..
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

min. Requirements:
8K maps
modding support (editor +tools)
128+
crouch + prone
Unranked Dedicateded Win + Linux Servers (to run your own servers)
more Destroyables - Physics that run on all Gaming Graphiccards (DX11 should solve that)
better Serverbrowser (more Filters and Sorting by clicking on Tabs)

also nice would be a Spectator mode

there you go DICE ;-)

maybe you'll get my money with that BF - BFBC2 failed big with me...
Last edited by gomimin on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I agree with Gomi. Add prone to the list
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

done :lol:

I'm sure DICE knows what we DieHards want...but does EA...or their shareholders ?
Kampion

Post by Kampion »

Unless its WW2 I won't even be interested... much less "blown away". Its time for the BF1942 diehards to get some love from EA. (1943 was a complete joke BTW, a total waste of 15 bucks. :x ) If it wasn't for the good folks at Forgotten Hope BF would be long dead to me.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Unfortunately most people feel WW2 has been done waaaaaay too many times and it's unlikely WW2 will be done again for some time.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

styphon wrote:Unfortunately most people feel WW2 has been done waaaaaay too many times and it's unlikely WW2 will be done again for some time.
qft. world war 2, well lets see:
COD1-3, world at war, bunch of console only knockoffs
whole medal of honor series
bf1942 + expansions
bf1943
unknown amount of mods
day of defeat/dod source
red orchestra
the hundreds I forgot to add

don't get me wrong kamp, I love WW2 as well, but the gaming industry had a hard on for it for so long they pretty much did the whole war 100 times over. I'd love to see a modernized version of bf1942, with all the classic maps and mod tools and all that jazz so I could experience maybe a little bit of what GC was like back in the 1942 days, but its just not in the cards at this point.