BF3

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Re: BF3

Post by WoodenPlank »

From what I have seen on the unlock trees so far, it would appear you will no longer have both bombs AND air to air missiles on jets at the same time - you have to pick one or the other. That could be both interesting and problematic for GC.

I like the idea of players being dedicated to either A2A or A2G, but dont like the idea of having to die and change kit to change roles.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Thur wrote:Stonie is a good example of what GC is about. This guy is unreal! He is not a very good player :lol: but he is a good leader & communicator.

Get on TS! I am trying bc2. Good practice.
Stop praising him so much, it's starting to get to his head!!! :P
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Thur wrote: Get on TS! I am trying bc2. Good practice.
I've been joining Goggles, VK and Snake in some TF2. Been having a blast :D.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:
Thur wrote: Get on TS! I am trying bc2. Good practice.
I've been joining Goggles, VK and Snake in some TF2. Been having a blast :D.
Hey, I want in on TF2 fun...
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Goggles wrote:
styphon wrote:No, if you allow ranked servers then people start worrying about their stats. With unranked people aren't bothered by their number of deaths and focus more on the team than their own personal stats.
This was exactly the explanation I got when I asked about it a few years ago :-)
Ranked or not I was only as good as the team I played with. I think the full GC experience forces players to be team players or fail.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

So make it ranked!!!!

I think i wont be playing BF3 only here on GC. (or mostly)
Gives me a chance to level up too.
gribble

Post by gribble »

hmm.. but with the server being ranked we can't control what arsenal we could use or not.

Besides the fact that I still think with a non-ranked server the "gc newbies" might work more for the team and not for the personal stat. I
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Do we have to make that decision now - I guess not.

I take we will run the server ranked when not having a battleday to draw in players. And if we have a battleday - lets try, we have a bunch of vets around. And we will have to explain to the newbies how we / the generals wish to run the campaign, if they do not lean, another free slot on the server.

We had that in the past and we will have that again in the future. Once we explain that GC is not about statpadding and that players who want to do that they should find themselfs a different server. We should be fine. (ok we might see some knifefighting in a neutral corner of the map). A player who isn't willing to understand that, will not understand the rest of our ruleset either.

More important imho is that we are able to password the server during the battleday, to keep nongc-players out.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

The other problem with a ranked server is you can't password it. You end up with pubbies on there. Also, you can't kick those pubbies if they refuse to join our TS and fight our way because we'd be breaching the ROE you have to abide by when using ranked servers. Ranked is too big an issue for battledays.

Chef, if you're only going to be playing on GC then what do you care about rank? Unranked will allow you to be even with everyone else who is putting in the time to get the unlocks. Otherwise you'd be at a disadvantage to those of us with more unlocks on weapons.
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

sushi25 wrote:ok we might see some knifefighting in a neutral corner of the map
A little bit off topic, but I read in a German gaming magazine that you'll just be able to knife someone from behind...I'd like to see the upcoming knifefights.
gribble

Post by gribble »

AlbinoKalle69 wrote:
sushi25 wrote:ok we might see some knifefighting in a neutral corner of the map
A little bit off topic, but I read in a German gaming magazine that you'll just be able to knife someone from behind...I'd like to see the upcoming knifefights.
hmm.. I thought that it's only an instankill when you knife someone from behind... otherwise it's only a flesh wound :)
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

off topic, but both alternatives would suck big time, how do you kill someone when out of ammo, if you cant have a one hit-kill-knifeattack.

Back to the topic: if we cant lock the server running in ranked mode, I guess everything is clear - we have to go unranked for the battle days (unless we can dedicate some 20+ reserved slots)
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

sushi25 wrote:off topic, but both alternatives would suck big time, how do you kill someone when out of ammo, if you cant have a one hit-kill-knifeattack.
Maybe it's possible to throw your gun at your enemy's head :wink:
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

but only from behind ..... k:-x
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Ranked servers can be passworded. Right?

It is NOT a non-issue. We give up a big part of the draw of BF3 by not having a ranked server with stats. What is Baseball? It is stats and one of the most successful games on the planet. Without stats that game would be as popular as lawn darts. (which is awesome BTW)

We may or we may not be able to use them. If we can, I say we try to use ranked servers for Battledays.

IMO I do not think it will be possible, given the server control issues that are involved. I would hope the community would not be against it if I am wrong in that assumption. Let the community speak.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur