Server information

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: Server information

Post by Ash2Dust »

NA server crashed again this time on Small Oman earlier today.

Just now crashed again on Large Sharqie with only 6 people on, at least I think it crashed. Seems the server was stopped and started a bit differently in the logs. Hoping it was due to a server update. Working with MultiPlay.

Edit: Multiplay's news shows new server patch R16...
Zaitsev Jr.

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

removed by .Sup
reason: spam
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

procon on phone? I might give this a try

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/procon-b ... 29359?mt=8
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

It's not free? Boo!
Hi!
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

I've been talking to some of the admins over at Up All Night, and a lot of their server crashes have been related to the admin tools being run on the server. Since I don't have admin rights on the NA server, I havent got a clue what we are running in comparison to UAN, but that might be part of our problem.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Havent had a server crash since the last server update, appears DICE got off their ass and fixed their server code in that area.

Simply put, admin tools (rcon) deliver a payload of settings and commands per the published specs from DICE. The server then implements that payload. Problem was the server code was buggy in handling the payloads. Latest bug was if any admin tool was unexpectedly disconnected for any reason, even if idle, the server would crash. Poor programming without thought for error tolerance.

Getting ready to run a 24/7 rcon tool for our servers, but been holding off to be sure that DICE really worked their bugs out with remote control.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I got 2 questions regarding the server:

1) What's up with the gametracker thingy on the webpage? It seems to be broken.

2) I saw our NA server yesterday running 16 player squad DM. It was full btw, but it prevented us from joining in on the fun, I would suggest putting it on 32 or 64 player size, and run maybe only conquest maps since that's what we're all about.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Gametracker doesn't work because I am waiting for the EU server to be up (euro location). NA doesn't exist in Gametracker's database. I searched for GC servers yesterday and none were to be found in their database.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Hitman47 wrote: 2) I saw our NA server yesterday running 16 player squad DM. It was full btw, but it prevented us from joining in on the fun, I would suggest putting it on 32 or 64 player size, and run maybe only conquest maps since that's what we're all about.
Problem is, if we do that, it just sits there empy. Running 16 play SDM gets a good base of players in the server, then an admin can bump up the limit till we get 24-32ish and then switch it over to conquest. This seems to prime the pump for other players to join. I think most people serch for servers that are already nearly full (I know I do) so have 5 or 6 GCers on there playing conquest doesn't ever seem to fill it up. Plus we scare a lot of low pop server joiners away since they tend to be newer players and when they join they see we're mostly wearing tags and are mostly Colonels.

Stepping it up doesn't work if an admin isn't around though.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

good logic, thx for explaining, I agree. And thx to Sup for clearing it up for me about the tracker. :)
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Please Stream your server(s) to all Anti-Cheat sites this will protect you against hackers and dont rely on Punkbuster itself that's a piece of lalalala we all know this.

GGC-Stream / Why should I use GGC-Stream?

http://www.ggc-stream.com/server/ggcss

Select all anti-cheat sites. also MD5 check.
Saw this on another BF3 forum, we're probably doing this already, but since I'm a noob at tech stuff, just giving a heads up.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

We use a different streaming service, PBBans.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

We can stream to more than one 3rd party. Just more rules to deal with.
Zaitsev Jr.

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

... my 50 cent

These "services" basically share information on user accounts that displayed issues with Punkbuster.
The idea is to ban players / accounts with gamehack/aimbot/etc. across many servers (globally ?), not just on the server where the violation was detected.

Intel
From what i know the Guys from PBbans do not want to cooperate with GGC, which i blame on the poor attitude of some of the GGC folks.

ROI - Analysis
While streaming to GGC/PBbans etc. instirrs a "trust" of honest players to join and play on a server, it does not provide protection against hard-core cheaters, whose hacks shut down before they can be detected.
Only the Punkbuster Service, Screenshots and in the future battlerecorder tapes will identify and help control cheating.
So while streaming to GGC and other "services" is generally a good idea to collaborate against cheaters, it should be considered, that the BS to go through to use them should be easily manageable.
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Thanks for input Zaitsev