-

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

fawadforlan

-

Post by fawadforlan »

-
Last edited by fawadforlan on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
BLYFACTOR

Re: Zombie mode server

Post by BLYFACTOR »

The SASS has the server capable of Full 24 man zombie mode.
GC Battledays (7)
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BLYFACTOR?feature=mhee
Epic 64 man Fun Stuff Sign Up hereviewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693&p=189318#p189318
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

BLYFACTOR wrote:The SASS has the server capable of Full 24 man zombie mode.
Can you get their modified scripts?
Or supply an ingame screenshot with 23 people on 1 team? BF3 has issues with putting more than half the server on 1 team.

I"ve glanced at the scripts. The author hardcoded in 11 steps increasing/decreasing health, damage, etc. That way each time a player is moved, it uses the next step. The 12th step doesnt exist because its game over.

So for a 64 player server (32 players max), there will need to be 31 steps coded in. And figure out what a good balance for each step is.

I havent programmed anything real in about 20 years and that was in C++. Its all sorta the same, just need to know the syntax. Someone here must eat and breathe code.
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

If you look at the link, SASS seems to use the same thing (possibly modified though), as it uses the !zombie start and !zombie stop commands like SASS did.

As far as I can tell from a quick glance, nothing limits it to 12 players other than running it on a 24 player server. The adaptive health that makes zombies take less to kill is currently limited to 11 steps, but that's not incredibly important, nor should it be difficult to change.

I'm guessing the 32 player limit is because you can't join a "full" team, which for 64 player is 32. It becomes impossible to win if you have more than 32 players, as then you can't fit all the players on the zombie side.

Edit: The code itself is ridiculously simple to understand, and I know we have quite a few Comp Sci guys (myself included), so that shouldn't be an issue. Knowing the library could be a pain, but I have no idea what documentation DICE provides.

I like the idea of limiting guns though. Increase damage, but limit players to magnums :D Alternatively, I'd love to get a Rush variant going.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

We have like 16 hours left to get it done, I'm just a beginner at coding and I do unterstand the code.
But I can't help to change it to work for a 64 players server, because I have no idea how to do that.

Did .sup or someone else already contacted the maker of the code for zombie mode? Maybe he can help us out to get it done.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The maker has posted he has no interest in making the moderate changes to the code.

With Insane Limits, we dont have to worry about Dice code, we use Insane Limits, code. We do have to worry about Dice limitations such as 32 players on 1 team (when 64).

But if we modified it, we could post it and ask him if it looks right to him. He'll prolly look it over.
Its always the breaking a module, this is dependant on that, or I forgot about that loop that gets you.
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

I reviewed the code more thoroughly. There are three parts that I see as relevant:

Code: Select all

int sizeMax = (server.MaxPlayers/2);
sizeMax is the maximum number of players, and already adapts to the server settings, so no issues telling it to work with 32 players.

Second is the following 2 from step 6:

int[] bulletDamage = new int[11] {5, 10, 15, 20, 20, 25, 30, 30, 35, 40, 50};

nz = (nz < 0) ? 0 : nz;
		nz = (nz > 10) ? 10 : nz;
		int bDamage = bulletDamage[nz];
		bDamage = (team1.players.Count <= 1) ? bulletDamage[10] : bDamage;
This controls the amount of damage done, and is based off the # of zombies. The first code represents the amount of damage done at each zombie count, the 5 representing the amount of damage with 1 zombie.
Easiest solution is to just change the 10s to 30s, and give the array 31 values (duplicates allowed). There's also an initialBulletDamage in step 4, should probably update that.

Third is also from step 6:

int[] killGoal = new int[12] {3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25, 27, 30, 33, 36};

gg = (gg < 0) ? 0 : gg;
	gg = (gg > 11) ? 11: gg; // TBD, should be killGoal.Length based
Like the damage, this controls how many kills the humans need and is based of the number of people on the server. Easiest solution is to change the array to have 32 values, and change the 11s to 31s.

Balancing the amount of damage and number of kills I leave with you guys. I won't be here tomorrow, but I've left everything any fellow programmer could work with.

Edit: I should mention that as far as I can tell, no changes NEED to be made to accommodate 32 players, as the above parts will just use the same number for 12 players through to 32, which will cause balance problems, but it won't break anything.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The man says 32 wont break anything other than balance, then lets run it at 32 player on 64 server. Good pointers on the variables and how it set up. Balance can be faked at some level.

We'll still need someone to re-script it. Cant have it kick people when its over 12 players. I'd rather not put people thru my beta testing of code change.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Look what i found on reddit:D
(zombie mode tonight for ps3)
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

Ash2Dust wrote:The man says 32 wont break anything other than balance, then lets run it at 32 player on 64 server. Good pointers on the variables and how it set up. Balance can be faked at some level.

We'll still need someone to re-script it. Cant have it kick people when its over 12 players. I'd rather not put people thru my beta testing of code change.
From reading the code, the kicking people for over 12 player is an if statement with: server.PlayerCount > sizeMax
As I showed above, sizeMax will already adjust to the size of the server, so the script should adjust to only kick after 32 players without changing it.
BLYFACTOR

Post by BLYFACTOR »

Ash2Dust wrote:
BLYFACTOR wrote:The SASS has the server capable of Full 24 man zombie mode.
Can you get their modified scripts?
Or supply an ingame screenshot with 23 people on 1 team? BF3 has issues with putting more than half the server on 1 team.

I"ve glanced at the scripts. The author hardcoded in 11 steps increasing/decreasing health, damage, etc. That way each time a player is moved, it uses the next step. The 12th step doesnt exist because its game over.

So for a 64 player server (32 players max), there will need to be 31 steps coded in. And figure out what a good balance for each step is.

I havent programmed anything real in about 20 years and that was in C++. Its all sorta the same, just need to know the syntax. Someone here must eat and breathe code.
ash it doesnt quite work like that 24 people 15 humans 8 zombies. See fair enough derp
GC Battledays (7)
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BLYFACTOR?feature=mhee
Epic 64 man Fun Stuff Sign Up hereviewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693&p=189318#p189318
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

BLYFACTOR wrote:
ash it doesnt quite work like that 24 people 15 humans 8 zombies. See fair enough derp
You lost me there.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The author updated the code today.

Currently trying out 2 changes I've made for the server. Havent fully tested if the array is being read correctly.
int[] killGoal = new int[32] {3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 25, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45, 48, 51, 54, 57, 60, 63, 66, 69, 72, 75, 78, 81, 84, 87, 90, 93, 96};
int[] bulletDamage = new int[31] {2, 10, 15, 20, 20, 25, 30, 30, 35, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200};
Problem is the array progression works decent for the 12 players total. But with a full server of 32, the first 12 bullet damage arrays become unbalanced. Especially when its 31 players vs 1 zombie.

Thinking either to add code to use 2 different arrays depending on total number players at round start. Less than 16 players the original themed array.
Over 16 players, less damage on the lower zombie numbers.
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

Wasn't it in the original already that if a certain amount of people are on the server, they can start with more than 1 zombie? So if you have 20 people, let's say 17/18 are american and 2/3 are russian?
Robawillis
Executive
Executive

Post by Robawillis »

Well we could look into the code and see where it selects the random people to move to the zombie side and see if we can't double that number to move people but at the moment it still in early beta so not so sure if it would work.

edit

Looked into the code there is a loop for the number of starting zombies should be possible to edit some of those variables to increase the number of starting zombies but as said earlier it would need some testing to make sure it works :roll:
Last edited by Robawillis on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.