Disabled
57%

Total votes: 63

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Campaign 3 - 3D spotting (poll)

Post by .Sup »

3D spotting was enabled last campaign. Would you like the battleday servers to continue run with it enabled or disabled?
matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: Campaign 3 - 3D spotting (poll)

Post by matsif »

I see no reason to disable it
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Since the 3D-Spotting works well in BF3, i think there's no reason for it to be disabled.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

LoA wrote:Since the 3D-Spotting works well in BF3, i think there's no reason for it to be disabled.
As a regular LoA target, I vote to disable :D
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

While 3d spotting is a good option for a pub server, it may not be the right choice for an organized professional match. Bear with me and think about what attracted us to this community. The most in depth team experience possible. We sweat, bleed and laugh together. That is the bloody core of global conflict. 3d spotting however is a tool for the inexperienced and loosely affiliated players in BF3. Spotting an enemy unit precisely over voice comms is a skill. One that takes practice to do it efficiently and expediently. It requires good communication, experience and practiced teamwork. It requires a higher level of coordination. A level only found here among brothers. So if we keep 3d spotting enabled we are in a sense slowly degrading the level of teamwork possible.
Tunnel Snakes rule!
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

I don't know, I feel that with 3D spotting disabled the game would be slower and less dynamic, since if you camp in any place you can kill a lot of opponents. Also, at least for me, the game is very polluted visually, so it's very hard to distinguish people from debris or just objects sometimes. (But that may be because I'm myope :lol:)

EDIT: Also, disabling the 3D spotting will probably render longer engagements useless, since you won't be able to distinguish teammates from opponents.
EDIT #2: I stand corrected by Henidhor, teammates are still spotted blue.
Last edited by mrBLUE9 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I was at first very against it, but have come round to the idea, I think it adds more to the game than it takes away. I also like how smoke actually has a point now as you cant just spam 'q' at it.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Juffalo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Juffalo »

does it just disable the on screen doritos ? will enemies still be spotted on the minimap? I don't want to reduce the overall effectiveness of spotting too much.

edit: we should play our first quasi battle day (the friendly one we have right after the draft) with the 3d spotting disabled so everyone can get a feel for it.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Spotting is less effective and it's 10X harder for me to find enemies without spotting. That being said, I guess I don't mind either way.
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

Juffalo wrote:does it just disable the on screen doritos ? will enemies still be spotted on the minimap? I don't want to reduce the overall effectiveness of spotting too much.

edit: we should play our first quasi battle day (the friendly one we have right after the draft) with the 3d spotting disabled so everyone can get a feel for it.

Do this. Put the poll up after the first battle (mess around) battle day
Last edited by Undisparo on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

For the love of all that is holy 3D Spotting should be turned off. Many people in this thread say they "see no reason to turn it off" and consequently vote for it (a horrible reason to vote for anything, IMO), so here are just a few of the many reasons to turn 3D Spotting off.

Realism and Immersion. I don't think much more needs to be said about this.

It makes air a little less effective against infantry targets. We had A LOT of issues of un-fun air domination on both sides last campaign and this would help remedy this a little bit.

Doesn't decrease the effectiveness of spotting, it just makes you use your mini-map which you should be doing in the first place. (Hence the 3D part - minimaps are 2D)

Makes you actually shoot at people instead of a little orange dot. What a concept.

Makes M320 smoke actually effective as you can't see people through it.

Consequently makes the game more skill based.

And last and probably least Doritos taste are disgusting (sorry cheesy)

In response to some others.
mrBLUE9 wrote:I don't know, I feel that with 3D spotting disabled the game would be slower and less dynamic, since if you camp in any place you can kill a lot of opponents. Also, at least for me, the game is very polluted visually, so it's very hard to distinguish people from debris or just objects sometimes. (But that may be because I'm myope :lol:)
It allows to do slightly more stealthy and tactical maneuvers, although I still don't have a problem with finding people. Also when do people camp during Battledays when they're not defending flags? And if they are then they should be able to remain hidden.
mrBLUE9 wrote: EDIT: Also, disabling the 3D spotting will probably render longer engagements useless, since you won't be able to distinguish teammates from opponents.
Unfortunately teammates still have a bright blue cool ranch dorito so there should be no difficulty whatsoever.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

No offense, but isn't this a little late? I feel like this should have been decided already by the execs.

Henidhor brings up some very good/valid points.

Although Cheesy met his doom several times, I don't think Loa really needs it anyhow ;)

I do think that a decision to turn it off would potentially turn off some of our airforce guys. It would definitely complicate things. Example: Soflams are still basically industructable, now they can't even be spotted, and their beam isn't as apparent as it was previously. This would be hell.

Does anyone know if this disables citv paints as well?

Maybe we could have no 3D spotting on ground maps? It would certainly make Tehran interesting.
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

motherfo wrote:No offense, but isn't this a little late? I feel like this should have been decided already by the execs.
I like that they ask the opinion of the community, though I do worry for the community's opinion.
motherfo wrote:I do think that a decision to turn it off would potentially turn off some of our airforce guys. It would definitely complicate things. Example: Soflams are still basically industructable, now they can't even be spotted, and their beam isn't as apparent as it was previously. This would be hell.

Does anyone know if this disables citv paints as well?

Maybe we could have no 3D spotting on ground maps? It would certainly make Tehran interesting.
I understand the concerns about SOFLAMs and I wish DICE would make their hitboxes reasonable however, and while I don't fly on Battledays, I don't think it's such an enormous issue (I mean, there is that bright red beam of light which they're usually located by in the first place) that it should affect whether or not we turn it off. It is good to take into consideration though.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Henidhor wrote:
I understand the concerns about SOFLAMs and I wish DICE would make their hitboxes reasonable however, and while I don't fly on Battledays, I don't think it's such an enormous issue (I mean, there is that bright red beam of light which they're usually located by in the first place) that it should affect whether or not we turn it off. It is good to take into consideration though.

That's my point the beam isn't as apparent now as it was before. It used to be like the laser sight shined in your eyes, but not anymore. The hit box issue should be fixed next patch...whenever that is.

I kind of feel like this will also affect the guys on the ground in tanks too. ( with positioning and flanking)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Henidhor wrote: Realism and Immersion. I don't think much more needs to be said about this.

It makes air a little less effective against infantry targets. We had A LOT of issues of un-fun air domination on both sides last campaign and this would help remedy this a little bit.

Doesn't decrease the effectiveness of spotting, it just makes you use your mini-map which you should be doing in the first place. (Hence the 3D part - minimaps are 2D)

Makes you actually shoot at people instead of a little orange dot. What a concept.

Makes M320 smoke actually effective as you can't see people through it.
+1
Camp 1, it was off. For Camp 2, it was turned on. After playing both ways, Doritos are a far greater evil than Soflams.