Armored Kill Impressions

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Armored Kill Impressions

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Alright, some of you need to stop your bitchin.

Maps

Alborz Mountain
Really awesome looking map, the snow and ice look amazing w/ Frostbite 2 and whenever i'm flying a jet i'm amazed at how awesome this map looks.
This map is different from the other 3 ones because it has a lot of physical barriers. The other 3 maps are very open fields for the most parts with a few mountains, hills or buildings. This map has the lake you saw in the trailers, tight mountain passes, cliff roads etc. This means that you actually have to think about how to approach an objective. Both sides get a bunch of armor, jeeps and quad bikes + 1 scout and attack chopper, the Venom and the obligatory 2 jets.

Armored Shield
This is a very open, grassy map with a river leading all the way around it. It looks just as good as Alborz, partly because DICE turned down the blue filter quite a bit. There are no jets on this map, so the air is a nuisance at best. One of the most interesting features are tons of craters, that can be used as foxholes by both infantry and armor.

Death Valley
Haven't played this one that much yet, but i still like it. It is pretty long, leading to a nice frontline situation every once in a while. There is the usual air-vehicle setup, 2 jets, viper... Not really much to say.

Bandar Desert
This one is amazing. It has a bunch of flags located around a pretty large desert area. There are no attack choppers, instead both sides gets 2 Little Birds. There is a city area containing 3 grouped flags and a few outposts to the SW.

Vehicles

Tank DESTROYA!!!
I like this thing. It's fast, light armored and it packs a huge punch. I don't think you should even be talking about balance already, because noone has unlocks yet. If you take these on with a fully equipped MBT, obviously you're going to come out on top for now. Just wait until everyone has their reactive...

Rocket Arty
One of my new favorite vehicles. I love this thing. It is very effective at area denial and the airburst rockets are basically made to kill repmonkeys. It is very vulnerable, but that is totally justified. Once you have it figured out, it's really easy to hit certain points very reliably. It is really effective against stationary armor and it looks totally BADASS. On GC, the friendly fire might pose an issue, but it certainly won't make this thing less awesome

Quad Bikes
:P

AC-130
The pilot seems to be AFK... This thing does pack quite a punch (Even though the howitzer is superior to the 25mm in every way), but it is TOO easy to take down. Not only is it very easy to hit, the pilot apparently is also too stupid to get that he is flying straight into enemy AA fire.
On GC, this thing might make it for 1/4 of a circle. The paradrop thing is pretty much useless, since it either drops you in the middle of nowhere, in the ocean, or even out of bounds.
DICE should change it to only fly around over your half of the battlefield, because ATM, it's basically an AA magnet. Maybe slightly randomizing the path would get rid of predictability.

Balance
Balance is not that much of an issue for the ground in my opinion. The tank destroyer vs. MBT has to be figured out later, once people got all the unlocks, but in terms of air vs. ground, things are actually looking awesome for the ground. Choppers are pretty much useless ATM, since Stingers are OP and countermeasures are broken. The jets still hit hard, but have to run from the AA.
Coloneluber wrote:Air vehicles are overpowered again. I hate to kick off this debate, but the sheer sizes of the maps make it incredibly difficult to kill enemy air assets. Using stingers to keep it off one side of the map? No problem, it can go kill all the armor on the other side. There is just no way to establish a safe zone for most, or even a large portion of, friendly armor without skilled pilots of your own. The AA vehicle certainly has a presence, but it is greatly diminished with how massive these maps are
The AA vehicle is not supposed to hit the entire map. It's not supposed to camp next to your deployment. If you want your tanks protected from air attacks, have the AA with your tanks. That's how the whole rock-paper-scissors thing is supposed to work.

General thoughts
I really like the idea of flags being more spread out. Instead of just capping them one after another, like for example on Caspian or Golf of Oman, you actually have to think about if a certain objective is actually in your range. This DLC is called Armored Kill for a reason. If you're running through Bandar, you're doing it wrong. Armor is supposed to play a major role, and pure infantry combat will be rare. If you like infantry action, there's CQ, and there are the vanilla inf maps.
Snow1Wolf wrote:1. I see you AA rocket buff and raise you rocket buff, I got killed in a tank multiple times in just one strife.
3. Like fields said, 90% time are spend running to objectives.
4. Yes not game breaking, but they are wasting so much space to do so much more, and DICE promise (oh DICE, promised why did I ever believe them again?) everyone get a tank.
7,8. Yes, practice makes perfect, but the problem is I feel like I am using buck shot trying to out snipe a sniper 1500 meters away.
11. I understand that, but the problem is that transport heli is on every map, and from the fact that I can kill 5 in 10 seconds means AC-130 as I previously pointed out is a piece of paper.
1. The rocket buff was against infantry. If you get killed in one strafe, you either had explosives on your vehicle, or you were already damaged.
3. You shouldn't run. There are tons of transport options.
4. They didn't promise everyone would get a tank...
7,8. I can hit my target fairly reliably by now.
11. The Venom is only on Alborz IIRC.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

LoA wrote:Cmon, you can't seriously start to complain on this DLC on the first day? You need to give it some time...
Well BlackIce wanted Day 1 impressions since he posted this thread the day before the DLC cam out on PC lol.

KoffeinFlummi wrote:Alright, some of you need to stop your bitchin.
I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The AK DLC/maps can be very fun at times, just as it can be very frustrating at others. (Could also be said for the rest of BF3, but AK more so.)
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Well, this is a first impressions thread. I'm not sure what you'd expect BESIDES first impressions of the gameplay. However, I have warmed up too AK more after playing some tank supremacy earlier on the NY server.

@zorzor, the shell reload time was added as an indirect nerf to canister shells, and it sounds like the guided was hit also.
XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by XrunawayX »

Good stuff Flummi!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I think some of you are missing the difference between discussion and whining.
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

These Maps are awesome!

And before criticising, please consider: This is ARMORED KILL!

Its NOT (!!!) 4 New Standard Battlefield 3 maps.

The maps are NOT too big, its NOT too boring for infantry etc etc....

This DLC is the way it is, to have more Vehicle fights. Keep that in mind.
Its meant to be like that.

Think about it.....

And: I LOVE THE DLC SO FAR!

Its even better than "Back to Karkand".... :o
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I'm definitely warming up too it, but I still don't think it's as complete an experience as karklands or close quarters (even though the spawns are kinda fraked). I played support on the desert map and, while I did very well, going 18-0, I would have been screwed if attacked by any armor. Of course there's always C4, but I need to work much harder to get that C4 armor kill then most engineers or vehicles would have to for the same effect. I wish it was as effective to play a support all day, but that would mean sacrificing my repair torch which is an insane proposition.

The snow map is pretty good, but it's prone to camping because of all the weird altitudes and cover. And I'm still somewhat amazed that the starting spawns don't have more vehicles. If you don't get a seat in one of those things when the round begins, you might as well suicide and wait for a different spawn point to open up; I think this is one of the biggest issues for AK right now. They could add a few more of the off road bikes at the deployment and virtually fix this issue, it wouldn't be hard to do at all.

I like the mechanics of the gunship. It's strong enough, even though only on 1 side, and it's very hard to take down alone. I hate that the tank destroyers are faster then the mobile AA and can hunt me down while I can barely do anything to them. That's just a sad day for me.

The desert map is by far the best, and the windmill one is easily the worst. I still think it doesn't provide the same fast-paced experience of smaller maps, but by no means is it horrible.

TLDR: Yeah, it's not horrible but I'd still pick a vanilla or karland map over the AK ones. Too bad they don't have the new vehicles.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Fields wrote: The desert map is by far the best, and the windmill one is easily the worst. I still think it doesn't provide the same fast-paced experience of smaller maps, but by no means is it horrible.
I'm the completely opposite of you, I thought Bandar Desert was not that good, too big and the flags are so spread out that they can be flanked from all sides, also too much empty space without any cover, it just seems they put it together to be the biggest map and that's it. And the windmill map is by far my favorite, maybe even one of my favorites on the whole BF3 map pool. It's just so simple and straightforward, 3 flags in the middle and one near each base, there's also plenty of room for infantry fighting.

Overall I had good impressions with AK, I think it's the bit of fresh air that BF3 needed so much.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Why does so many people say the maps are too big? There is no such thing for me, I can't imagine that a BF3 map is too big :)
I can't wait to get the DLC next week and to try it out myself.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Maps are not too big.

They are just "too" big, if you are on foot. Which you should never be on Armored Kill...
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

After some fairly extensive play...

I love it :) can't wait to incorporate this into a battleday! All the maps are pretty unique and would fit in well with GC play.
Tank destroyers are really cool. AC130's are really cool but aren't game breaking as we had feared.
Finding a vehicle really shouldn't be a problem at any point in the game, they seem to spawn everywhere. At the start of some rounds there can be a bit of trouble getting in one, but that's only because your team mates are losers and drive off on their own with four empty seats in their vehicle.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
ICallIDTheft

Post by ICallIDTheft »

I love it. Tank destroyers are a lot of fun to drive and having more speed and less armor makes for some rather interesting play. I've only played about one game with reactive on them but it does seem to make them a lot more fierce. The MBT is defiantly better suited to attacking flags with enemy infantry on it and with a good support crew can also stand its own against a TD.

The TDs are all about speed and maneuvering, if you don't use your speed advantage against an enemy MBT it will most likely take you down but if you catch it off guard then you can wreck it. Extinguisher is quite nice on it as well it can bail you out of a tricky situation, but it also means more vulnerability against guided missiles since you can't take smoke.

The mobile artillery is good for spamming contested flags to kill enemies on them and might be useful if and enemy tank gets locked down and is constantly being repaired. Due to friendly fire on GC the MA is going to be tricky to use though. It can either support armor, hit flags before the main force moves in or harass the MAA so the air force could have a bit more freedom.

The gunship does have a pretty terrible flight path, but it is amazingly powerful before going down. Flying on these maps is heaps of fun since you don't always see an enemy plane straight after take off and you can use the terrain and large flanks on the maps to sneak up on them or win a dogfight (Made Dan crash into a bridge already). The MAA is more interesting on theses maps as well since it actually has to move out of base and find a good spot to fire from depending on what area he want's to support.

While you are not going to have the best of times as an infantry man on these maps there are still some flags on these maps which are close together and have loads of cover against tanks. It still is an armor expansion and you don't hear tankers complain about CQ because of it's bad vehicle play. That I suppose is the fun thing about these expansions each one is made for different play styles, if you don't like any of them yet maybe you will like the two upcoming ones.

Also public servers are a bit chaotic as usual and it's especially bad since most people don't know the maps yet so it can get a bit silly at times.
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:Alright, some of you need to stop your bitchin.
I am shocked. Koffein saying these words, ahaha to bad i didn't record the TS chatter from yesterday that was so funny.
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

I am recording everything....

ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Okay, so i've been playing this for maybe 6-8 hours already, and as a air guy, these maps are awesome. The fact that you can fly on high altitudes, especially on Alborz, with clouds all around you and snow hitting your windshield, makes me not wanna touch the ground ever again.

But, i have been playing some infantry, and it's just not fun because there's too many TANKS.

Wherever you go, there's a tank. This makes infantry gameplay really boring.

We need less tanks and MOAR ATVs! There should be like at least 10 ATVs in the beginning, so people can go fast to objectives and don't just stand there in the base with 5 retarded pubbies driving off with the tank destroyers.