[NO] Console command to remove the blue tint! (we got DICEd)

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

fawadforlan

[NO] Console command to remove the blue tint! (we got DICEd)

Post by fawadforlan »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FlXhQCNIEY[/youtube]

Most of the maps will look so much better without the blue tint, but a few maps like metro and wake island will look better with the blue tint.

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/co ... nt_we_won/
Last edited by fawadforlan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Console command to remove the blue tint!

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Meh.
Looks cartoony without it (on all maps) in my opinion, which is mainly because the maps were designed with the final process of color grading in mind (something that is done in all games).
I would enjoy a slider, because while i might prefer a version with ~60% grading, i prefer the "on" version over the "off" one.

I generally don't get the whole reddit "OMG BLUE TINT" circle jerk anyways. There is really only a few maps where you really notice it, like Metro, and while i personally too think that it might be a little too much, it's ridiculous how much of a big deal is made out of it.

Thermal views are also getting broken by this (understandably), so i won't use it.

EDIT:
If you like a little bit more vibrant colors without making everything look unfinished, use the FXAA injector or just color-grade your screen (for example with your graphics card driver).
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

pfff and now that they're going to make it optional probably no one will disable it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way things are right now, and I agree with Koffein that it looks saturated and cartoony without the color grading. But to each his own.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

I never messed with FXAA injectors because I heard it could become a bannable offense. And the color grading options on my video card were quite limited and would have to be reverted every time I wanted to go back to the desktop. Previously, trying to remove the blue tint was just a huge hassle for the tiny benefits it gave and just wasn't worth the time and effort.

Now with the console command, we can enable and disable it in game at will. I don't see how anyone could be against adding options like this to the game. My only concern might be if it gives some competitive edge thereby forcing people to use it. As I don't think that is the case, no one should take issue with this development. Use it or don't, it's optional, that's the beauty of it.
RazY70 wrote:pfff and now that they're going to make it optional probably no one will disable it.
I probably will, but I'll have to try it first to be sure.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Not against having options. As long as they don't give someone an unfair advantage of course.

Just saying that the BF3 crowd has a tendency to bitch a lot and once they get their way, bitch some more (e.g. comma-rose). People will check it out, see that it looks like a bad pastel painting and revert back, or complain why colors look that way now.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

zorplex wrote:I never messed with FXAA injectors because I heard it could become a bannable offense. And the color grading options on my video card were quite limited and would have to be reverted every time I wanted to go back to the desktop. Previously, trying to remove the blue tint was just a huge hassle for the tiny benefits it gave and just wasn't worth the time and effort.
Evenbalance confirmed they don't ban for it.
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

thats silly cuz alot of players wont be aware or just will not try that.
and that removal gives huge advantge, in GC too.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Digz wrote:thats silly cuz alot of players wont be aware or just will not try that.
huge advantage? how?
It just removes the blue tint.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

fawadforlan wrote:
Digz wrote:thats silly cuz alot of players wont be aware or just will not try that.
huge advantage? how?
Don't know how this will work out yet, but lets say for example I use the blue camo on metro (I know, I know - dat metro) and all of a sudden I stick out like a pimple on the nose of a supermodel.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

RazY70 wrote:
fawadforlan wrote:
huge advantage? how?
Don't know how this will work out yet, but lets say for example I use the blue camo on metro (I know, I know - dat metro) and all of a sudden I stick out like a pimple on the nose of a supermodel.
I removes all color grading from the rendered output, not just from the map.
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

RazY70 wrote:
fawadforlan wrote:
huge advantage? how?
BEST!
COMPARISON!
EVER!
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

defenitly gonna use dat on the Back to Karkand map pack. too damn pale!
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

DICE retracted the idea (source)
MikaelKalms wrote:After discussing this further with my colleagues, we have decided to not implement this feature. This is the studio’s take on this matter, and I support this decision:

"As a studio, it is extremely important for us at DICE to have a unique identity in our games, not only from a gameplay perspective, but visually as well. While we appreciate that some players might want a slightly different look to the game, we are proud of the visual identity of Battlefield 3 and do not wish to change it."

I apologize for getting anybody’s hopes up, and if you have any further questions on this subject, I will refer back to the above statement.
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

And this is what I like to call

We have beend DICEd.............................. again.
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

Too bad about the blue tint, not that I would have changed it. I'd rather see them release mod tools for bf3 over any other changes currently.
Another item I wish DICE would address in a patch is the vanilla pudding that is visible on opponents lower backs after I knife them.
Tunnel Snakes rule!