Is putting a static crosshair or dot on your screen cheating

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

TheYonderGod

Is putting a static crosshair or dot on your screen cheating

Post by TheYonderGod »

In your opinion, is putting a static crosshair or dot on your screen cheating? I'm not necessarily talking about GC rules, I'm just wondering what people think. I bring it up because my new awesome 144hz monitor has a feature that puts a crosshair on your screen. It is a hardware overlay on the monitor itself, so it doesn't show up in screenshots or anything, and there's no way to get caught. It's basically the same as drawing a dot and/or putting a piece of tape on your monitor.

You can see what it looks like in this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QShZQCtQUE[/youtube]

I tried it out just to see what it's like.
It does make it slightly easier to hip fire with a shotgun with slugs or a bolt action, probably a little bit for semi auto weapons too, it's pretty useless for automatic weapons though. BUT when you ADS it gets in the way and makes it really hard to aim, I thought it would be ok, but, unless you're standing perfectly still, your weapon moves around a little bit so the monitor crosshair stays directly in the center, and the in game crosshair moves around.
So I think it hurts more than it helps unless you're playing close quarters and never ADS. It might be a different story if you could change the design of it or the opacity though.

What do you think?
ImageImage
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: Is putting a static crosshair or dot on your screen chea

Post by Gwynzer »

I personally have no problem with it. Some people can naturally tell where the dead center of their screen is, others can get it with practice, and others may always struggle. There's nout that can be done about putting a wee blob of tippex on the middle of your display (though I hate it when people touch non-CRT screens), this program is exactly the same.
FlaminWalrus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by FlaminWalrus »

I dont see anything wrong with that. I dont do it myself, but if it helps you shoot peeps in the face then why not.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

i don't see any problem with that.
the only problem is with DICE not letting us to customize our non ADS crosshairs, a must in any FPS game IMO.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
BlooDRaptoR1

Post by BlooDRaptoR1 »

Necromancer wrote:i don't see any problem with that.
the only problem is with DICE not letting us to customize our non ADS crosshairs, a must in any FPS game IMO.
I think that this doesn't affect the game at all, it just has a crosshair at the screen, and i think that at privater servers u can do anything you want, because u do not affect the public players.
C4 -Image
C5 - Image
DaFi

Post by DaFi »

Don't think its cheating at all.
There are so many different setups people use. Ways to improve the gameplay and stuff. Not even consoles, where everyone plays with the same shitty hardware, is totaly fair. Some have a bigger TV, or some have HD TV and some dont.
On PC, the difference in frames is so crucial, but its not cheating, just because you have more fps than someone else. Having more thumb buttons on your mouse can be an improvement or a surround headset vs some stero speaker.
So unless it changes the game in some way, its not cheating, I guess.
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

DaFi wrote:Don't think its cheating at all.
There are so many different setups people use. Ways to improve the gameplay and stuff. Not even consoles, where everyone plays with the same shitty hardware, is totaly fair. Some have a bigger TV, or some have HD TV and some dont.
On PC, the difference in frames is so crucial, but its not cheating, just because you have more fps than someone else. Having more thumb buttons on your mouse can be an improvement or a surround headset vs some stero speaker.
So unless it changes the game in some way, its not cheating, I guess.
^This.
And, most of the time, a good player is going to know where the center is in his own monitor.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Interesting that monitors are now including it as a feature. A dot on the screen would be hardware modification. Its not software base.
Its alot tamer than hardware macros on keyboards and mice which have been out forever. Punkbusters only response seems to be to kick for hardware macros when they dont like it.
Theres no way to police it.
People have been doing it for a long time. Even doing pixel aiming for artillery in BF1942 with plastic overlays on their screens.
Snow1Wolf

Post by Snow1Wolf »

I play a total of at least 3000 hours of CS back in the day, sometimes even when I stop playing I see cross hairs in the middle of my vision, so nah, you are cool
For CAFFEINE!!!!!
thallus

Post by thallus »

in CSS I would play a lot of SkoutzKnivez. I would stick a piece of paper to my screen to be my dot.