Post-scrim server feedback

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post-scrim server feedback

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Let us know how the US and NA servers play for you today. Our NA server is in New York City, USA. Our EU server is in Stockholm, Sweden.
ImageImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Re: Post-scrim server feedback

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Don't know if it's just a bug or not, but our EU server doesn't have spectator/commander slots! It also has punkbuster turned off.
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sarantini »

When I checked it out earlier today I got kicked out by punkbuster for 0 minutes, might have something to do with it.
For the rest it played fine for me, but I haven't had many real infantry battles to really check the netcode (only boat and crapshooting in locker)
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

My ping to the EU server is terrible. I basically have no chance in a gun fight if they actually see me. Of course I'm also the farthest away from the server (I think) being the Hawaii. Yes, that is actually farther from Sweden than India. :|

I'm just one person though.

The NA server obviously has significant stability issues. Which is strange since it seemed more or less ok for pub play. NFO just does not like GC settings.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Gardalop
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Gardalop »

EU server had unplayable ping for me and almost everyone had at or above 200 ping in my squad. NA server had great ping but was unstable even on stable maps. Recommend to replace both.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

US server was unplayable by dint of crashing constantly. It has been cancelled.

EU server was more stable, but still crashed by my count twice, and dumped almost everyone once. Sounds unplayable for people on the other side of the world. Guess we'll have to cancel.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a provider issue. I think we need to delay the campaign until the we see actual stability. Probably another patch or two.
ImageImageImage
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

200 ping was pretty unplayable for me too on the west coast. Constantly shooting someone, dying, then seeing that I had killed someone too. Sometimes I came back to life or rubber banded pretty far. Not sure how much of that is ping vs. shitty server code.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Sums it pretty well up.
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

It went okay.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

still laughing at Fields post/GIF. Couldn't play today as the RB server was making me motion sick, plus 200ms.
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

I had a 150ish ping on the EU server from the middle of the US. It didn't really feel like it though. It was more playable for me than it was on the EU BF3 server and even that was pretty playable for me.
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

Both servers were playable for me when they didnt crash. Over 120 ping in bf4 you're going to be getting into the really wonky hitreg area. so take that into account
TCZapper
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TCZapper »

The NY server was working perfectly fine (as far as server crashing goes) yesterday. I played for about 2.5 hours on it in a row.

As for today, I had minimal issues with the EU on Golmud and Locker (at 120 ping from Toronto), but the TOW missiles would spawn behind my attack boat on Paracel if I was moving too quickly causing them to immediately hit me, exploding and doing no damage.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I highly doubt the stability issues have to do with the servers themselves, and as such I'm hesitant to say that we should relocate/swap providers based on the crashing and player drops/loading bug/whatever. That said I have never had good rounds on fragnet servers in the past as whenever I play them in public play the hit detection and everything seems really off. Also I get better pings to chicago than that server and I'm only like 175 miles from NYC (700 to chicago), which is atrociously bad considering the distance involved, and on other NYC servers I'm getting 20-30 pings (getting 40-50 to ours).

I didn't have a problem with ping on the EU server (getting around 130 or so, which is what I got to the GC EU servers back in the BF2 days). However, we do have more central/mountain/west coast TZ players than we have previously, making keeping a server where a decent chunk of people are getting 180+ ping difficult to consider for an actual option.

If I had to keep 1 of the servers we played on today I'd keep the EU one, but that said it's understandable that from a geographical standpoint it's probably not going to work out. NA I just don't like because I've never had good experiences on fragnet hosted servers regardless of location in the past.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Can some in EU try Virginia servers such as provided by Hypernia. I have requested a list of test servers from them and will post when I receive a reply.

Also is anyone knowledgeable about dedicated servers. While more expensive does it make sense to explore this avenue?