Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Rellik_pt

Project Reality 1.3 standalone Release

Post by Rellik_pt »

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... _released/

Download at: http://www.realitymod.com/downloads
Manual/ additional information: http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf

Should we consider doing a campaign in the future for this?

Edit by Stonie: added PR links
Last edited by Rellik_pt on Sat May 30, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nix

Re: Project Reality 1.3 standalone

Post by Nix »

I nearly threw up my ear drums listening to that guy.

Text version?
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Rellik_pt

Post by Rellik_pt »

http://www.realitymod.com/

phpBB [video]

Here are some things you can do/expect from Project Reality:

Squads (up to 8 players per squad) who use VOIP, communicate with other squads and the commander

Base building - a squad can set up an outpost with some basic sandbags and small bunkers.

Epic and very very long gunfights

Squads sneaking behind enemy lines, hiding in bushes, holding fire to not get noticed

Great sound and atmosphere

Huge maps

Squad members have different roles. There is a breacher, for example, who can throw ropes so the squad can climb over walls/buildings/rocks.

100 man servers

phpBB [video]

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

1.3 will be standalone. You will not need BF2 anymore to install PR:BF2. You just grab prbf2_1.3.0.0_full.iso, install it, and you're good to go with nothing more to do.

Those on 1.2.1 should be able to patch to 1.3, in which case your BF2 files may be modified slightly, but it shouldn't cause any issues with other mods such as ReviveBF2 and FH2. That said though, if you do play other mods, you should probably grab the full install and install PR:BF2 to a separate directory to avoid any future possible conflict.

Those who just play PR:BF2 may as well grab the full installer as well, uninstall BF2 and PR:BF2 1.2, and start fresh with 1.3. Will save you a few GB's of hard drive space. But yeah, the patch should be there, providing it works (still gotta test it, there might not be one if it breaks things, we'll see)

Legalities aside, it's about the only thing we can do to keep PR:BF2 alive at this time. We're not as ready as EA/DICE were to let our game die and all our hard work go to waste. And like others have said in the thread, abandonware, etc, I don't think EA will care too much. Of course, if they actually do care, their legal team is more than welcome to send us a cease and desist order, and we'll simply revert back to the way things are at the moment. Naturally, that'd do wonders for their public image.

But anyway, it's not like we've ever followed the EULA. Ever since we included the BF2:SF content in PR (when was that, 0.6?), we've been breaking the EULA. Add to that the 100p servers, the new master server, things like PRMumble, BUIS, and a whole bunch of other stuff... The list of things we've "illegally" done is actually rather large. I'm still yet to ever receive a single message from EA or DICE, so, well, shrug...

So to those looking to buy BF2, and you can wait and don't want to play other mods, you should probably hold off until we release 1.3. To the inevitable question of when 1.3 will be released, when it's ready.

Quote from AncientMan, the lead DEV

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Rellik_pt on Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

If I read correctly before, you will no longer need to install BF2 to play Project Reality. No one really explained how they can legally do that, but maybe they don't care.
Nix

Post by Nix »

100 man servers
oh wow i bet the hit registration is just swell.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

Fun day?
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

Nix wrote:
100 man servers
oh wow i bet the hit registration is just swell.
BF2 used hit scan processed client side. Hit registration negotiated by client & server wasn't introduced until BF3.

I'd definitely be up for trying this on a fun day or whatever. May be something we consider for regular campaign use, especially since it's free now.
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

CognitoCon wrote:If I read correctly before, you will no longer need to install BF2 to play Project Reality. No one really explained how they can legally do that, but maybe they don't care.
I thought that too. They have a Version for Arma and a commercial game in development called „Squad“ (using the Unreal Engine). For their BF2 version it is the latter:
Legalities aside, it's about the only thing we can do to keep PR:BF2 alive at this time. We're not as ready as EA/DICE were to let our game die and all our hard work go to waste. And like others have said in the thread, abandonware, etc, I don't think EA will care too much. Of course, if they actually do care, their legal team is more than welcome to send us a cease and desist order, and we'll simply revert back to the way things are at the moment. Naturally, that'd do wonders for their public image.
But anyway, it's not like we've ever followed the EULA. Ever since we included the BF2:SF content in PR (when was that, 0.6?), we've been breaking the EULA. Add to that the 100p servers, the new master server, things like PRMumble, BUIS, and a whole bunch of other stuff... The list of things we've "illegally" done is actually rather large. I'm still yet to ever receive a single message from EA or DICE, so, well, shrug...
Quote from AncientMan, the lead DEV via a comment on the reddit post
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Jesus. . .

The difference is that now they're giving away someone else's product for free.

The PR devs always made some weirdass decisions, but that's one of the most bizzare things yet.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

soo, can we get in trouble promoting the standalone in any way? (sushi still alive?)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

I think i read somewhere that part of the PR team left and are now working on squad, I don't think the two teams are associated with each other anymore.
Rellik_pt

Post by Rellik_pt »

Jokerle wrote:soo, can we get in trouble promoting the standalone in any way? (sushi still alive?)
I dont see why, the mod is one of the most know in the bf community. Won prizes in moddb, etc. And even so the 1.2 version still needs the bf2 game, and like the dev said if they have any problems with EA they will just revert 1.3 to need bf2 again.

Also you cant play bf2 using EA servers for multiplayer anymore since there where turn off, the only away is with the server thing the community made.

Dunno i just think could be a nice game too play here since will be free soon i guess and everyone can run it (i hope).
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

Rellik_pt wrote: Here are some things you can do/expect from Project Reality:

Squads (up to 8 players per squad) who use VOIP, communicate with other squads and the commander

Base building - a squad can set up an outpost with some basic sandbags and small bunkers.

Epic and very very long gunfights

Squads sneaking behind enemy lines, hiding in bushes, holding fire to not get noticed
I used to play the first PR a while.
I lost my BF2 cd-key. But if it is playable without it, I would like to play it organized.
I would even FC having the tools of BF2 commander.
Rellik_pt

Post by Rellik_pt »

They just release it, downloading and probably will play more this that bf4 for now

http://www.realitymod.com/downloads

files.realitymod.com/bt/prbf2_1.3.0.0_full.iso.torrent - copy and paste it in your browser to get the torrent file

phpBB [video]
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Project Reality 1.3 standalone Release

Post by ViperXVII »

Did they mess with the netcode? I remember BF2's to be much worse where infantry was concerned than even bf4, having to lead targets a whole second at less than 20 meters, but maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Also the whole IP is kind of moot, they don't even sell BF2 on origin and since they shut down the servers it's unlikely they will ever do so...