no
42%

Total votes: 24

o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

javelin discussion

Post by o1oo1 »

Now that sraw was nerfed javelin is the only option against watercraft and far away vehicles, pretty much the only thing that can hit moving small transport vehicles.
The reason it was banned (rocket stacking ) has been fixed ages ago.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: javelin discussion

Post by ViperXVII »

Well, here's some IMOs we talked out

PROS:

Air has nerfed damage against armor (50% less damage) and there's no jets this campaign.

SRAWs are nerfed and nowhere near as maneuverable.

Some maps like silk road are very open and big, making RPG shots useless against tanks that are aware they are being shot at.

CONS:

With the tank laser designator, it would mean instant death to tanks that are lasered.

With the tank laser designator, it would mean death for air and non-necessity of stingers.

Not a skillful weapon.
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

both MBTLAW and SRAW have the lazer lock option, laser designation does not change anything
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

Does anyone have the numbers for how much damage each of these weapons does when laser locked vs not laser guided? I used to know these things, but then patches changed things and I didn't care to pay attention because I use a SMAW like a man.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

o1oo1 wrote:both MBTLAW and SRAW have the lazer lock option, laser designation does not change anything
You do know the javelin does more damage right?
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

there were some arguments that the way countermeasure work in BF4 vs BF3, the tank gameplay would suffer to hard.

I forgot all the details how things work...but the BF3 smoke was pretty reliable and let you cross/stay in open terrain quite well. The reload timings and stuff changed with BF4 so it would be "impossible" and not fun. This assumed laser designation of some kind being available.

something along those lines was among the main reasons why the javilin stayed banned after they fixed the missile stacking.

jav top-down should be 50dmg instead of 25.
maybe they changed stuff:
http://symthic.com/blog/?p_Engineer_Launchers-6113
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

We sorta talked about giving it another battle where we actually play vehicle maps to see if armor still dominates as much given the army rebalancing/new draft signups, but discussion is always good.

Conceptually I hate lock-on weapons and therefore the design of the javelin which means I'd hate to see it used as anymore than a super niche resort on specific maps at the most, but that might just be me.

A main concern from my side besides personal opinion is how its massively better for one side on some maps like silk road(altai which isn't in the pool) etc.
"fraking game mechanics"
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CaptJagermeister »

We sorta talked about giving it another battle where we actually play vehicle maps to see if armor still dominates as much given the army rebalancing/new draft signups, but discussion is always good.
I feel that this was the main issue because I remember on Silk Road where their vehicles at some point could barely get out of base which basically gives us armor guys free reign over the map especially since there's no jets aswell. But I think that this won't be the case anymore since the army rebalance.
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

While I was driving an LAV during Darkstar's battleday this week I noticed that active protection wasn't very effective against javelins. I'm not sure if that's because they were laser designated or what, but it seemed I was still getting hit pretty consistently by them.
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

CognitoCon wrote:While I was driving an LAV during Darkstar's battleday this week I noticed that active protection wasn't very effective against javelins. I'm not sure if that's because they were laser designated or what, but it seemed I was still getting hit pretty consistently by them.
A Javelin/TOW/SRAW/ that hits a vehicle with laser designation will go through APS but a normal Javelin should be blocked by APS
CognitoCon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CognitoCon »

Won't we be obligated to ban gunner soflam then? Otherwise we're going to hear a lot of complaints in the coming weeks.
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

Just need to say that, that mechanic is fraking retarded.
"fraking game mechanics"
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

CognitoCon wrote:Won't we be obligated to ban gunner soflam then?
It requires line of sight from your tank/ifv to the enemy vehicle which makes you vulnerable. And it must be equipped instead of other gunner upgrades (belt feed, prox scan, incendiary). It takes good timing & coordination with your javelin crew to pull off an attack.

I'd be up for allowing javelin and keeping gunner soflam.
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

cancel_man wrote:
CognitoCon wrote:Won't we be obligated to ban gunner soflam then?
It requires line of sight from your tank/ifv to the enemy vehicle which makes you vulnerable. And it must be equipped instead of other gunner upgrades (belt feed, prox scan, incendiary). It takes good timing & coordination with your javelin crew to pull off an attack.

I'd be up for allowing javelin and keeping gunner soflam.
Line of sight is not needed for this only for the soflam/pld user. I've shot tows at laser designated targets over mountains and stuff
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

CaptJagermeister wrote: Line of sight is not needed for this only for the soflam/pld user. I've shot tows at laser designated targets over mountains and stuff
I think cancel_man meant LOS from the lasing tank to the target, not from the firing weapon.

To be honest I'm not sure how much more vulnerable this really makes you, being that you'd normally use it to target air assets. I think the main downside is that you lose proximity but in open vehicle maps it's not such a big deal.

I still hate lock-on weapons though, but I'm not voting since not playing at the moment.