BF3/Combined BF4+BF3 Campaign Discussion

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

BF3/Combined BF4+BF3 Campaign Discussion

Post by Bock »

Prior to the start of the current campaign, there was much discussion about running a campaign using BF3. It was decided that since so much work had been done on the current campaign, that it was too late to reshape it to use BF3, but that we should use the time that this campaign is running to start working out how such a campaign would be run. Well, we're now a couple weeks into BF4C6 and there has been no discussion yet as to how the next campaign will look. Use this thread for such things.

kthnx
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF3/Combined BF4+BF3 Campaign Discussion

Post by Bock »

BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
ICallIDTheft

Post by ICallIDTheft »

I'd really like to see GC return to BF 3 in any capacity so I'm going to throw in my two cents. I am not entirely sure how much has been discussed outside of the forums, but it would be a good idea to gather potential TAs HCs and all other influential people on TS and throw around some basics. Things like what servers would we use, should we play BF 3 and BF 4 on the same battleday, which rules and limitations should we set in place, etc. Then we could put up a general bulletin to be discussed on the forums. I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can, but I don't really want to be much involved with BF 4 side of things.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

For this discussion I'd like to put in a reminder of the Financials of this, and their impact. I'm sure Ghoul will weigh in too. I know that this is an issue which directly impacts very few people in the community, but the fact of the matter is that it's an incredibly important base for any direction we go in future, and has to be taken in as a major factor in the decision making process.

Most suppliers allow a free "downgrade" from BF4 to BF3. The vast majority require you to pay to go from BF3 to BF4 though (even if you've paid for the BF4 and downgraded to BF3). Very few providers allow you to do this fast, most of the time it's via putting in a ticket.

The solution for this was to rotate perhaps every 3 or 4 weeks as to what server is running Bf3 or BF4. We end up hitting issues of map continuations and such there though. Anything more frequent is a financial burden, anything less freqent is a bit crap for the players in region x who only have one of the two games, meaning they have to play for multiple battledays with a crap connection.

Another issue with the server swapping is that due to the nature of the transaction, only one person in the community will have the ability to make those switches happen with our providers. That's not a problem right now, but it's a potential stumbling block if a regular requirement is needed.

There is also the personal financials to this. In order to get the best out of the campaign, players will have to shell out for two games + all of their DLC. I know lots of the people that get involved in this discussion will be still here FROM the BF3 days, but there's a lot of people here currently who do NOT have BF3 and will have to make that purchase.

Last campaign I beleive we ended up scraping the bottoms of the barrel twice. Adding more costs is going to make that a bit more of an issue.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

I don't know much about server costs, so please forgive my ignorance.

From a brief look at NFO, the BF3 server (unranked, private, 64 player) is $11 (bar the shouting) cheaper than a BF4 server (private, 64 player). On the face of it, running a BF4 and BF3 server would seem to be cheaper than running two BF4 servers. Running a BF3+4* campaign may be cheaper than a pure BF4 one.

Of course, I don't know the associated costs in swapping games or moving server location from NA to EU mid billing cycle or end of billing cycle. Changing the location of the BF3 or BF4 server may be best done every billing cycle for cheapest gaming, again just speculation.

Just my 1.28p
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I personally would be willing to play all BD on NA based servers (as EU), if that eases a BF3+BF4 server setup.
Especially if swapping games is not reliable (technical or personnel wise).

No matter what, we probably would need to make multiple compromises campaign wise and server wise, as we loose flexibility. That should be clear to everyone wanting BF3!
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

I was under the impression that we will be looking to do a BF3 only campaign following this one. Mainly to breathe some fresh air into the campaign. Maybe the campaign after could be a combined one? Not sure.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

I think it might be a good idea to test for the gun glitch bug in BF3 immediately after the current campaign is over. Switch one or both servers to BF3 and get as many people as possible for a BF3 funday or something.

Personally I don't see an issue having a dedicated server either EU or US per game as Jokerle suggested. It will certainly make things easier logistics and costs wise. It will however have an impact on the order maps are played during battledays.