Moderator: Executive

cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

BF4 Night Ops announced

Post by cancel_man »

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ne ... rations-2/

Releases September 2015
This lead to us focusing on the creation of Zavod: Graveyard Shift, based on Zavod 311, a new map that brings with it several improvements and tweaks to allow for more stealthy and tactical gameplay.

We touched things like passive/active spotting to make it easier to flank your opponent. We’ve improved the sound system so you can pinpoint where those footsteps come from. Additionally, we’ve also given the gadgets and tools of the night an improvement pass to make them shine in the dark (but less so during the day).
Róka

Re: BF4 Night Ops announced

Post by Róka »

cancel_man wrote:
This lead to us focusing on the creation of Zavod: Graveyard Shift, based on Zavod 311, a new map that brings with it several improvements and tweaks to allow for more stealthy and tactical gameplay.

We touched things like passive/active spotting to make it easier to flank your opponent. We’ve improved the sound system so you can pinpoint where those footsteps come from. Additionally, we’ve also given the gadgets and tools of the night an improvement pass to make them shine in the dark (but less so during the day).
Wait... why did they only make one... wtf
And do the sound improvements apply to the whole game or just the night map...?
And even if they only applied the new sound landscape to Night Zavod, what's the point of trying to make it all stealthy (shooting out lights, using suppressed/hidden flash weapons, etc.) if your footsteps are going to be super obvious...?
EDIT: Watching the trailer even reminded me... everyone's just going to equip NV/FLIR sights *sigh*
ImageImage
Nix

Post by Nix »

Because challenges are hard. DICE can't make things hard for low-life's who refuse to give any sort of effort.
That's like, mean and stuff, man.

FLIR Superiority... 2.0 (Locker was first)
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

Róka wrote:
cancel_man wrote:

Wait... why did they only make one... wtf
There are at least two more night maps on CTE: Shanghai and Golmud. There might be 2 reasons they released only one. It takes time to adjust the maps, and BF4+1 is at least 15 month away, so they need stuff to release for at least a year.
Róka wrote:And do the sound improvements apply to the whole game or just the night map...?
And even if they only applied the new sound landscape to Night Zavod, what's the point of trying to make it all stealthy (shooting out lights, using suppressed/hidden flash weapons, etc.) if your footsteps are going to be super obvious...?
EDIT: Watching the trailer even reminded me... everyone's just going to equip NV/FLIR sights *sigh*
I'm fine with better sounds. I hope that includes general improvements to sound. And yeah, NV will be a super useful optic. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Everybody and your mother is running coyotes now, rarely anything else like NV/ACOG or 6x even so they are sometimes useful. On the night maps coyotes might be good in certain situations. e.g. they give you a much wider field of view. But the NV now has a big advantage. Also they did not just turn off the light, so there are semi bright areas.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out on live.

And if anybody wants to increase the difficulty go onto a hardcore / custom server without 3d spotting / minimap / hud to play against people with the same expectations regarding skill.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
Róka

Post by Róka »

ZombieToof wrote:Everybody and your mother is running DMRs with FLIR sights
FTFY
but probably my best bet
ZombieToof wrote:And if anybody wants to increase the difficulty go onto a hardcore / custom server without 3d spotting / minimap / hud to play against people with the same expectations regarding skill.
ImageImage
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

3D spotting makes the entire low visibility premise kind of moot.
Vehicles have those huge kill-me-now headlights which can't be turned off IIRC.
As for those enhancements mentioned in the notes, they're not unique to night maps and are already in game (I think they just reduced the cone you can spot in).
I suppose Classic or (*shudders*) HC mode would be more suited for it.

Personally, not a big fan of night maps at all so not really looking forward to that release.
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

Róka wrote:And even if they only applied the new sound landscape to Night Zavod, what's the point of trying to make it all stealthy[...] if your footsteps are going to be super obvious...?
Unfortunately a big part of their player base is console players using their TV's built in speakers and even PC players who aren't using headphones. That's the bummer of a reality we live in and you can't give a huge advantage to those who can use high quality headphones. The same reality has been holding back dark maps for a long time- low end TV's & monitors can't handle the contrast of super dark maps so you end up seeing all black where there should be shadows & dark gradient.

A part of the community has been crying for true night maps forever and always scoffs at the attempts that are too easy/not dark enough (like Dawnbreaker and the few night maps in BF3). I think it's good that DICE is finally doing this, but I'm also glad they're using existing maps so that players get a chance to try out dark/night play and directly compare it to daylight play. We get to see if night play actually works out the way we wanted it to and DICE hasn't dumped a ton of resources into new content to make it happen (map design/modeling/balancing, etc.).