Battlefield 5 speculation

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Sebok

Battlefield 5 speculation

Post by Sebok »

Hello GC :wave:

There has been a rumor saying BF5 would be based in World War 1. Personally, I'm very skeptic about this rumor, but what are your thoughts about a WW1 Battlefield? I personally prefer modern or slightly futuristic theme, like Battlefield 2142. I'd like to hear your opinions.
"We're all soldiers now."
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Battlefield 5 speculation

Post by Jokerle »

WW I setting would be a pleasant surprise.
But didnt they mention in an interview way back that it would be a modern military shooter?

I just hope they dont go in the super casual Star Wars direction.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

they won't do WWI because people will whine too much about the lack of customization. to do a WWI shooter you're basically limited to iron sights and mostly bolt action rifles. vehicle play would be awkward at best outside of aircraft and map design would be increasingly boring. not to say it wouldn't be cool but they won't do it.

it'll end up being a modern shooter or slightly futuristic shooter, or they'll go back and try WWII/korea/vietnam again just because those give more weapon/vehicle variety.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

matsif wrote:they won't do WWI because people will whine too much about the lack of customization. to do a WWI shooter you're basically limited to iron sights and mostly bolt action rifles. vehicle play would be awkward at best outside of aircraft and map design would be increasingly boring. not to say it wouldn't be cool but they won't do it.

it'll end up being a modern shooter or slightly futuristic shooter, or they'll go back and try WWII/korea/vietnam again just because those give more weapon/vehicle variety.
I'd love to see a return to WWII with modern day graphics...
Image[/url]
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I don't think they would do a futuristic BF with Titanfall 2 announced. Probably not a good business decision to compete with themselves in the "future shooter" genre. I would love to see a WWII BF, and would be content with another modern shooter with updated graphics and new maps. But, I could be completely wrong so I guess we will just have to wait and see.
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CaptJagermeister »

I wish they'd just turn Battlefield into a monthly subscription with constant content updates which wouldn't split the community like with the map packs. And it wouldn't really be any more expensive since now you pay 100 euros for a game with a lifespan of 2 years at most instead of paying like 5 euros a month
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

Please god no, I want to be able to actually play the game I've bought without having to commit to powerplaying it for a month at a time to not feel wasteful. If EA wanted to not be woefully anti-consumer, they'd have to go back to releasing one or two good expansions for their games. Expansions that contain a significant expansion on the mappool, potentially a single new gamemode if that's something they want etc. instead of releasing overpriced minipacks of 2 maps at a time and some badges for a profile noone ever sees.

But we all know they won't.

As for WWII. I'd much rather see a future setting because it means there's no actual tie to people's conventions about what fits and what doesn't. No tacky "realism" that game design and balacing somehow needs to adhere to in the name of not pissing of dumbasses who can't abstract the two.
"fraking game mechanics"
Nix

Post by Nix »

The problem with a futuristic setting is the possibility (knowing DICE, it's inevitable) of even more lock-ons than BF4.

Because DARPA is working on lock-on bullets IRL, and DICE super fan-boys are like "it's da future, anything can happen!" (I've heard that a few times during BF4 beta, about the lock-on RPG-7)

Since WWII is all semi-autos and bolts, I don't think that will go through well with today's BF players.
The future is guided bullets and pewpew lasers beams, which all ready saturates the current FPS market with battlefront and CoD right now.

So's I thinks it's gon b modern.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

BF2142 did perfectly well without that many infantry lockons. I think they had a Lock-on-to-air rocket launcher, and floaty mines that followed moving vehicles. The mines were interesting 'cause they rose up before they killed you, and if you stopped they'd disarm and you could destroy them, but if you were too slow there was no outrunning them.

There was some light heatseeking/selfcorrecting in a lot of the air and walker combat I beleive, but anything that was self correcting was fairly minor and didn't do that much damage.
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CaptJagermeister »

I'm ashamed to know that this is a fellow dutchmen
Róka

Post by Róka »

Nix wrote:The problem with a futuristic setting is the possibility (knowing DICE, it's inevitable) of even more lock-ons than BF4.

Because DARPA is working on lock-on bullets IRL, and DICE super fan-boys are like "it's da future, anything can happen!" (I've heard that a few times during BF4 beta, about the lock-on RPG-7)

Since WWII is all semi-autos and bolts, I don't think that will go through well with today's BF players.
The future is guided bullets and pewpew lasers beams, which all ready saturates the current FPS market with battlefront and CoD right now.

So's I thinks it's gon b modern.
I said this when DICE put Active Radar missiles in BF4:
inb4multiplayerisjustquicktimeevents
The more futuristic we get (i.e. lock-on bullets in machine guns) the more these multiplayer games will just become quick time events like where you cycle between the Spacebar, W, Q, E buttons during a cutscene in singleplayer.
ImageImage
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

I don't see why futuristic tech has to be limited to bending bullets and superpowered lockons. Why can't it be just be cool crap like lasers, railguns, hover/vtol vehicles etc. that looks and sounds awesome as frak but also isn't burdened by any sort of dissonance between real function and game balance.

Of course we're talking dice/ea, but I can't seem to imagine a different setting that would have more potential for a well balanced and fun shooter than the future.
"fraking game mechanics"
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Because of this:

It's a scan of a PC Gamer BF3 Preview interviewing Patrick "it's magic" Bach (underline is mine). He was a Senior Producer back then, moved up to an Executive Producer for BF4, and now he's a VP General Manager (whatever the frak that means).

Point is "Lowering the threshold" has been DICE's policy for quite some time and I doubt it'll change in BF5. I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll see more how do we make the game more accessible (i.e. casual) interviews in the future.
Róka

Post by Róka »

I haven't seen any concrete evidence as confirming either real or fake, but it's something.
My opinions on theme of BF5:
Spoiler: show
I know there's a lot of hype behind WWI, but... really? Don't get me wrong, I see the fun in it - I just don't have faith in DICE perfecting the mechanics that would go behind such a theme. Can you imagine the flight mechanics behind biplanes? (The thought of zeppelins in multiplayer is entertaining though #inb4levolution) It's not that they can't make it good, it's that they can't make it good now. I look forward to a WWI Battlefield, but after BF3 and BF4 it would probably be 3x the trainwreck. If it's true that they will continue the story from 2021 (and from BF4's singleplayer ending and storyline from the DLC how could they not) I'd prefer that over a WWI release that is planned for the end of this year.
Another unpopular opinion: I actually liked the story continuation from the DLC. They've obviously really committed to the story and it seems like with the more recent games having DLC that foreshadows BF2142 they might just be working on dragging the plots from BF3 (2014) to BF4 (2020) to BF5 (2021) and then tying it off before going to past wars, maybe a 2143, or most unlikely 2021+.
phpBB [video]
ImageImage