Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: All aboard the BF5 hype train

Post by DiscoSoup »

phpBB [video]
Yob

Post by Yob »

Lookin' good! Just informed my Fiancee that this is what I'll be doing all winter. She was not amused. Has anyone been promoting =GC= on the BF1 forums?
If you don't ask, the answer is, "No."
My Campaign ribbons are around here somewhere!
Nix

Post by Nix »

oh great more sandstorms yay
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

No doubt the game looks amazing, but I'm still not sure about the gameplay. I think GC can get it to work either way assuming DICE will not obliterate the server customization options.

Also Beta starts at the end of Aug (31/8) so hopefully fun times ahead :thumbup:

Th30ne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Th30ne »

I think for the BF Insiders the Beta starts on the 21st!
“‘In town you're the law, out here it's me. Don't push it. Don't push it or I'll give you a war you won't believe.”
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

anything insightful from this stream today? I only watched 5min.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Th30ne wrote:I think for the BF Insiders the Beta starts on the 21st!
You can sign up till the 21st to get early access. It doesn't say it actually starts on the 21st.

Don't forget to set your platform preference on the site otherwise you wouldn't get the code.

https://www.battlefield.com/news/articl ... beta-dates
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

RazY70 wrote:
Th30ne wrote:I think for the BF Insiders the Beta starts on the 21st!
You can sign up till the 21st to get early access. It doesn't say it actually starts on the 21st.

Don't forget to set your platform preference on the site otherwise you wouldn't get the code.

https://www.battlefield.com/news/articl ... beta-dates
to tl;dr the article and an email I got, if you sign up for BFInsider you'll get access to the beta on the 31st. I'm guessing it'll go public on the 1st or 2nd and then last through the weekend to the morning of the 5th like every other company does for their betas. no notes on exact timing of the beta opening up for players to start playing.

the map is the sandy map shown in the gamescom trailer (sinai desert) with the train being that map's version of the zeppelin seen in the earlier map, and there will be 64p conquest and 24p rush available to play. apparently the rush objectives have changed to telegraph poles from random computer boxes.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

Lets hope it is not a polished beta only made map like shanghai was as beta for BF4
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Codes for the Beta are out (or going out). Call in sick if to play you feel so inclined. Or don't. What ever floats your boat. I'm not your Dad: I can't tell you what to do.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

A Docile Sloth wrote:Codes for the Beta are out (or going out). Call in sick if to play you feel so inclined. Or don't. What ever floats your boat. I'm not your Dad: I can't tell you what to do.
The joys of doing a PhD. I'm currently installing and having a *late start*. We'll see how today goes.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

played a bit before it crashed due to a memory leak and direct x error. if you have an nvidia card and haven't updated your drivers in a bit, you need 365.69 or something like that or better to play, so update your drivers if you haven't.

the lack of recoil on anything is off putting. like, there is no recoil. forget any recoil training you've done in other FPS games because any recoil that exists is so miniscule that you don't have to control it, just point and click with basically everything. there's spread, but it's not massive, and you can easily blast off a whole clip of your semi-auto rifle as a medic and not miss a single shot. weapon balance is also complete nonsense, LMGs do the least damage in the game and pistols can outshoot rifles. and then there's the typical BF hitreg issues that they still haven't fixed, 10 rounds of an LMG into center mass with no hit markers and he turns around and 2 shots me with a pistol. still battlefield in that respect.

revive requires you to hit Q when you're down in order to even have the option of getting revived (rather than having a choice to decline the revive), and even then the down time is so short that there's barely any point of keeping the syringe revive tool as a medic if you're not running a reasonable squad. it's awkward to say the least.

plane flying took me fixing the option to not have inverted controls like 8 times before it actually wasn't inverted, and even then the planes handled like flying whales. probably need to fix sensitivities to make it worthwhile.

the light tank (FT-17) was really good. canister shot, regular shot, can drop a medical thing, and had another option that wasn't triggering for me on the weapons side of things. didn't get to play around in the other tanks. the armored jeeps are pretty nasty as well, they can carry a whole squad and the machine gun on its turret is actually worthwhile. horses were fun and can take a beating with bullets, you're always better off shooting the rider than the horse itself. you can also spawn on any vehicle at any time if there's an open seat, which is awkward to say the least.

the map wasn't awful. the train isn't really that ridiculous as it can only access like 3 flags and it's fairly easy to avoid. the flag zones were pretty tight compared to BF3/BF4. the sandstorm that comes through isn't overbearing on anything and adds a reasonable amount of change without being ridiculous like the oman sandstorm could be. the pickup kits didn't seem that crazy, the flamethrower is nasty and the armored hipfire-only machine gun guy can take a beating but nothing that isn't impossible to put down. would still rather they weren't there but they aren't that ridiculous.

overall it's not bad but it does feel a bit too much like battlefront in many respects, which I don't like. it's dumbed down even further compared to BF4 in terms of weapon handling, like they lifted a lot of the shooting things from battlefront, which is really lame. gonna play more to get a better feel but if we don't get reasonable server customizations it's pretty lacking in a lot of respects for a more serious play style. a lot of it feels rushed. throw in it being $130 for game+season pass and I'm doubting a lot of things that I didn't want to doubt.
Nix

Post by Nix »

Sniping feels really cheesy.

I'm disgraced to admit that Scout in my new favorite class.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

and after playing some more and feeling like another wall of text:

I was wrong about the sandstorm and/or fog, it can easily be worse than oman's sandstorm, but it generally doesn't last that long. in a 20 minute round it was maybe 5 minutes of crappy view tops, and you could make it slightly better by using your gas mask. although you can't ADS with the gas mask on for some odd reason.

anti tank things available to the non-scout class (as I haven't toyed with that class at all yet but it has AT options) suck. the AT grenades take really long to throw and while you can throw them quite far, at least in a light tank they are really easy to avoid. to a heavy tank they only do 22 damage, and you only get 2 of them. you can get a sort of hand cannon thing that has 4 shots as assault and functions similar to a rocket launcher (that you have to set up on it's bipod before you shoot - either window/ledge or prone), but it does less damage than the AT grenades. assault has dynamite that work like C4 in previous games but it doesn't do any more damage than the AT grenades do to tanks, and I'm not sure if it sticks. tanks are stronk.

grenades are a bit on the strong side imo, at least in blast radius. incendiaries can clear a whole building floor on the map. impact grenades exist. regular frags have a huge blast radius. at least you only get one of them until a support guy tosses you an ammo pack. the only grenades that seem weak are the smoke grenades and gas grenades due to them having a small radius that is easily avoidable, or in the case of gas grenades you just pop on your free gas mask and run off, pop off the gas mask, and pretend nothing happened. they barely work as a zoning tool and you're better off with an incendiary for the job.

aircraft is weak, although I haven't seen a great bomber pilot yet. everything can damage them slightly, they're slow, and the AA guns on the ground are really nasty to them once you get the shot lead down. it's not as bad as lock on spam in BF4 but it's pretty rough to deal with. I did shoot down the fighter triplane with a tank shell which was super satisfying.

vehicle spawning is handled differently. vehicles do not spawn directly onto the map, they are shown as an availability number on the deployment menu and you get to pick which vehicle to spawn. for tanks this is either the FT-17 (light tank), the A7V (heavy tank - 5 seats, driver has cannon, other 4 seats have MGs), an artillery truck (haven't gotten to play with this) or the mk5 "land ship" (5 seats, driver has frontal and rear MG, 2 side gunners with cannons, 2 side gunners with MGs). only the driver can repair while in the vehicle, and only the pilot/driver class that you get when spawning a vehicle can repair outside vehicles with his wrench. so you could run the map with 2 light tanks and have everyone else in aircraft/infantry, or you could run two 5 man tank squads. it's an interesting variation that I think will be cool for us on the strategery side of things.

still the main thing that disappoints me is how dumbed down gunplay is. there's basically no recoil, spread is easily managed, LMGs and even mounted MGs suck. RPM is still king, the 900 RPM SMG is by far better than the other options for assault unless you want the shotgun, which is pretty OP, and the auto variants for the medic class rifles are that much better than the semi-only variants too. the M1911 will outduel a rifle in close range unless the hitreg was so bad that half my shots didn't register, I'd hit a guy center mass with 4-6 rifle shots as medic and end up losing the fight without being headshot. it's basically battlefront gunplay with projectile bullets instead of blaster bolts, and since the game basically ripped battlefront's UI it feels more like battlefront than battlefield in many respects.

and another fun thing, people have already gotten banned by fairfight and there's definitely already hackers in game. I got killed through a building by a pistol multiple times in ways that were in no way related to latency issues.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Just fired it up tonight.
The recoil is off IMHO for more fun (more pre-order sales). And I feel they are trying new physics, but could neuter it in retail like they did in BF2.
Playing it, figuring out what I find fun and will focus on that.