All aboard the BF5 hype train

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: All aboard the BF5 hype train

Post by matsif »

Jokerle wrote:how long is the beta? Can only play on the weekend...
Played the alpha, though.
Runs to the 8th. And on twitter they said we're only going to get to play the desert map and nothing else.
ZebraPeps wrote: EA got DDoS attacked and the "gun glitch" appeared during/after that attack together with all sorts of connection issues, no stats/progress, all players lvl 0, not able to join servers and so on. Hopefully it is not a real concrete gun glitch, but just related to stressed/server outage on EA backend caused by the DDoS attack.
I'm guessing this was the case. I always believed the gun glitch was caused by bad synchronization between the login servers and the game servers, and since it seems to be the login servers that were getting DDoS'd and the gun glitch was occurring during that time I believe this proves my theory.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
ZebraPeps
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZebraPeps »

Regarding the gunplay mechanics for BF1 it might be good to be aware of the significant changes comparing to BF3/BF4. Marbleduck explains in below YT-clips and gives some explanation in what the differences are. The clips contains some technichal jargong such as SIPS/FSM/RNG and so on (along with his opinionated comments/views) but they do give an insight into the changes and as such - a possibility to adapt and "git gud".
New Spread Mechanics in Battlefield 1! - How They Work
The Gunplay of Battlefield 1
The Spread Model is Amazing (And Skill-Based) - Battlefield 1
Weapon Spread & Health Regen are Great - Battlefield 1
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

phpBB [video]
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I shot people from their horses with the attack plane :lol:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Been enjoying it so far. Gun mechanics are different, I still have to get used to it. Really hope they introduce a conquest classic mode, or at least give us that options with server tools. :thumbup:

RazY70 wrote: Yeah, obviously it's in the Gameplay/Advanced screen, duh. Best interface evah!
Thanks, RazY!
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I dunno how I feel about soldiers+vehicles not showing on the minimap when they shoot.
At least vehicles should show up.

Is it just me or does one need to be very selective with the spotting? Is there a long cooldown? Sometimes I cannot mark people or planes or tanks. Pretty stupid.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Jokerle wrote: Is it just me or does one need to be very selective with the spotting? Is there a long cooldown? Sometimes I cannot mark people or planes or tanks. Pretty stupid.
the spotting seems to have a very short range and still seems a bit buggy as to whether or not it works. there is definitely a cooldown involved as well, though I haven't measured it out. some things like planes can be spotted farther away than other things like infantry when it decides to work.

oh, and this is fun, apparently weather effects are client based, so you can have the sandstorm on your screen while your enemy has no weather effects at all: http://gfycat.com/CooperativeWigglyAmericanblackvulture
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Can anyone explain the conquest mechanics? I'm confused. Some people are saying you only get points for capping, not for holding? Wtf?

I get that things count up now and death is light as a feather, but i don't get if there's any point to holding anything at all
ImageImageImage
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

StarfisherEcho wrote:Can anyone explain the conquest mechanics? I'm confused. Some people are saying you only get points for capping, not for holding? Wtf?
I think it is just flags x time = points.
edit: in my head I compare it with BF2142 titan mode and the captured launchers
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

StarfisherEcho wrote:Can anyone explain the conquest mechanics? I'm confused. Some people are saying you only get points for capping, not for holding? Wtf?

I get that things count up now and death is light as a feather, but i don't get if there's any point to holding anything at all
your team gains points based on the number of flags you hold every [time interval I don't remember] and I think that's it. that said, realistically there's no reason to care about defending because there's no bleed, and once you jump out to a 30-40 point lead the game is over, you've won, there's no way to actually come back from even that low amount of points short of all capping the map and holding every flag for well over 5 minutes. every game I played last week was just a TDM zerg around BCDF with a few cool kids who went to back cap AEG from time to time and little else.

as a side note, apparently there was a patch this morning. the only appreciable difference I've read about is they removed the timer from conquest, so the games always last until one team hits 300 points. the timer now counts up to show match length. why they actually had to throw out a small patch to apply this is extremely questionable, that should just be a server setting.
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

Welp - finally had a chance to play some of the beta. Played a few rounds of Rush. Had a fun time dying all over the place. Played 1 round of conquest...because I had no gun, or secondary, or anything, for the entire round. I was able to enter a tank and use the side gun. I was able to enter a jeep and use the machine gun. I was able to cap a flag. I had no weapons. :-(

So I quit playing...
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

InsanityRocks wrote:I had no gun, or secondary, or anything, for the entire round. I was able to enter a tank and use the side gun. I was able to enter a jeep and use the machine gun. I was able to cap a flag. I had no weapons. :-(
Was it today? Because I think they are stress testing the servers, it may be related to that.
Spoiler: show
@Battlefield 1 hour ago
Starting today, we are simulating extreme launch situations to test BF1 servers. You may experience downtime throughout the stress test.
Róka

Post by Róka »

matsif wrote:

your team gains points based on the number of flags you hold every [time interval I don't remember] and I think that's it. that said, realistically there's no reason to care about defending because there's no bleed, and once you jump out to a 30-40 point lead the game is over, you've won, there's no way to actually come back from even that low amount of points short of all capping the map and holding every flag for well over 5 minutes. every game I played last week was just a TDM zerg around BCDF with a few cool kids who went to back cap AEG from time to time and little else.

as a side note, apparently there was a patch this morning. the only appreciable difference I've read about is they removed the timer from conquest, so the games always last until one team hits 300 points. the timer now counts up to show match length. why they actually had to throw out a small patch to apply this is extremely questionable, that should just be a server setting.
I think it just updates every second. If you have all flags capped you gain 1pt/sec. Any less is simply a fraction of the point (or the way we see it, more time). We had a long session this past weekend where we ended the night on a nearly empty server.

As for the gun glitch, I've never had it in BF1. At least, not where I can't use any soldier weapons. There were many times yesterday where I was locked to my primary weapon but never completely useless.
ImageImage
ZebraPeps
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZebraPeps »

matsif wrote:
...realistically there's no reason to care about defending because there's no bleed, and once you jump out to a 30-40 point lead the game is over, you've won, there's no way to actually come back...
Maybe one can think of it as ticket bleed counting up instead of down. Deaths don't matter anymore, so there's no "hold spawn" moments.
Regarding defending, of course there is reason to do that, to keep the flags you have for maintaining a "positive bleed". I haven't seen matches being over just cause one team got 30-40 plus points, quite the contrary that the ticket lead has switched back and forth between teams. There's been several matches ending in a DRAW or 1-5 ticket difference. Also had one match where our team had the lead by 30-40 ticket, enemy team got the behemoth (train) and managed to take the ticket lead like 20+ up or so and we managed to even it out again, finally winning by 1 ticket. Naturally it all comes down to the teams and if they are PTFO or just lonewolfing - after all, it is a beta and most people are just learning the mechanics of the game...
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

ZebraPeps wrote:
matsif wrote:
...realistically there's no reason to care about defending because there's no bleed, and once you jump out to a 30-40 point lead the game is over, you've won, there's no way to actually come back...
Maybe one can think of it as ticket bleed counting up instead of down. Deaths don't matter anymore, so there's no "hold spawn" moments.
Regarding defending, of course there is reason to do that, to keep the flags you have for maintaining a "positive bleed". I haven't seen matches being over just cause one team got 30-40 plus points, quite the contrary that the ticket lead has switched back and forth between teams. There's been several matches ending in a DRAW or 1-5 ticket difference. Also had one match where our team had the lead by 30-40 ticket, enemy team got the behemoth (train) and managed to take the ticket lead like 20+ up or so and we managed to even it out again, finally winning by 1 ticket. Naturally it all comes down to the teams and if they are PTFO or just lonewolfing - after all, it is a beta and most people are just learning the mechanics of the game...
wrote that before I got a chance to play a round or 2 after they removed the time limit. the mode does feel slightly better without it in that the rounds are generally closer than they were with the 20 minute limit. with the limit once you got a small lead the round was basically over because there wasn't enough time to make a comeback. but to call your team point gain a "reverse bleed" is just being facetious. the mode is simply a rip of the domination mode from CoD: you gain points by holding flags, and that's all there is to it.

there is no benefit to defending on a team level unless you hold every flag. you gain team points faster if you have more flags, therefore you always want to be capturing flags. actual conquest mode just required a majority for a bleed, didn't matter what majority you had. there's no reason to say "eh we don't need that E flag, we have the bleed, we can defend what we have" and let the enemy come to you, thus bleeding them from defensive positions - the way you could mount a comeback in the actual conquest mode. constantly attacking until you are completely trashed by the enemy zerg or you all cap the map is the only real focus of the mode, especially if you're trying to mount a comeback. then on the squad/soldier level in public play there's no reason to defend because you get astronomically more points for attacking and capturing a squad ordered enemy flag than you do defending a flag, so once again you're better off attacking. no part of the mode makes playing defensively have any benefit.