All aboard the BF5 hype train

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: All aboard the BF5 hype train

Post by matsif »

Fields wrote: We could assume the worst, that they're trying to silence everyone and cover up the issue, or we can assume that they just don't want wild speculation and rumors passing around before the game releases and with 0 real information. I'm still hoping for the best with REAL community run servers that we can customize. :thumbup:
I hope for the best because it's in the best interest of GC. I expect them to say something that most will not find appealing.

You don't hold back good news. If DICE had created a new server architecture and their own version of procon to control it, they would have been hyping it months ago. The fact that we're sitting here 2 weeks before release still speculating on it and only at the whim of a "it's coming soon" announcement does not make me feel any better than I did when I realized this was going to be a major problem months ago. EA's past history of chipping away server controls since they moved on from the recursion engine (BF2142 was the last game) doesn't support them giving us something better than we had before, and the absolute silence up until a week or so ago wasn't helping the issue.

I want it to be an extremely customizable experience for the good of this community. I expect to get something resembling BF4 consoles, which would effectively kill the game for our purposes as we would lose control over round timing. EA has confirmed nothing, not even if we'll be able to run servers at all. Draw your own conclusions but personally I wouldn't get your hopes up for this game being in a state that we'll be able to use.

-----------

EA's community manager came back and reopened the 60 page thread, saying he was at twitch con and couldn't do what he said he was going to do with that thread. BF news announcements are typically made on monday-wednesday-friday, so we very well might find out tomorrow.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

EA's community manager had stated the server announcement was due out this week, it's now Friday and nothing has been said other than "it's coming soon" again. so they've basically got today to get the info out before people rage even more than they have been.

matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

and here we go: https://www.battlefield.com/news/articl ... tlefield-1
Following the Battlefield™ 1 launch, we will start rolling out a Rent-a-Server Program that will allow players to set up their own private and public Battlefield 1 servers, with control of different gameplay options to map rotations. Thanks to these customization options, you’ll be able to create games that suit the play style for you and your friends.

Starting close after launch, you will be able to rent a server through the in-game store of Battlefield 1. In the past, servers were handled by third-party companies – now, EA is providing them directly. We think this will benefit you in several ways. First off, we will be able to secure the quality of the actual hardware. Since the servers come from the same provider, it will give everyone the same uniform experience. Furthermore, if you have questions or need help, you will be able to reach out to EA Support directly instead of third party support.

On a rented server, players will be able to customize gameplay aspects like server name, map rotation, game mode, various game play settings, and more. We might restrict number of game modes available at launch and gradually enable them based on feedback and other circumstances, but you can expect that we’ll keep adding customization options and UI design throughout 2016.

Expect to hear more about it as we approach the release of the Rent-a-Server program. We can’t wait to see you on the battlefield!
rented servers aren't even available at launch and no mentions of the controls therein. I've sent some pertinent questions to the CM.

edit: apparently the dutch version of the article states the rental program starts on Nov 1, 2 weeks after release
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

"We might restrict number of game modes available at launch"

Exactly why we don't want one company handling it all. wtf.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

still awaiting CM response to my questions (and probably won't get one for a while), but upon closer inspection I believe what I posted earlier is correct, in that we'll be getting a mirror of the console UI for server settings and controls. which likely means no rcon access, which means no procon and being limited to whatever they put in the UI.

it's not all a complete dumpster fire yet, as their UI could provide the capabilities we need to run the game here, but honestly there is no reason to purchase this title if your intention was to only play it at GC and not play it publicly. not yet anyways. hopefully I get some reasonable answers to my questions and we can explore the game further down the road, but until full knowledge of server controls is divulged to the community the game is a non-starter for our purposes.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

They managed to not provide any answers to the important questions. I guess it's more waiting for us.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Why wouldn't you launch with all game modes available? I don't even understand the logic. Presumably the official EA servers will launch with all game modes and one assumes the server software would be the same. I mean why would you make two sets of server software? So they are just being elitist pricks or am I missing something? Unless not all the game modes will be available at launch but that makes an equal amount of no sense.

I'd prefer if they'd said "Yes we are renting servers and you have to go through us. More info coming soon" than this half speak announcement with half answers that they will use as an excuse to not release more details because they already have.
Róka

Post by Róka »

lmao I like how they titled the article "All You Need To Know..." when they even sign off the announcement with "Expect to hear more about it as we approach the release of the Rent-a-Server program."
"I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" so you don't bomb our sales on release day.
ImageImage
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I understand why they've done it, as setting up and configuring a game server in BF4 isn't a simple task. To the average non-technical gamer, the option may as well not exist. This makes it more accessible which will probably increase sales. Hopefully they've added the tools we need. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

for anyone who has direct questions only (no feedback or comment, just questions), you can post them and see what others are asking in the following thread:

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/di ... m/p1?new=1
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

I have a feeling the damn thing isn't even ready yet. That's why they didn't want to publish any information; why it won't be available at game launch; and be released with some of the game modes missing and without all the settings and UI.

Reminds of the half-baked crappy commo-rose they managed to conjure up for BF3 release
Róka

Post by Róka »

RazY70 wrote:I have a feeling the damn thing isn't even ready yet. That's why they didn't want to publish any information; why it won't be available at game launch; and be released with some of the game modes missing and without all the settings and UI.

Reminds of the half-baked crappy commo-rose they managed to conjure up for BF3 release
I've had the feeling that the game wouldn't release finished since the prealpha. Visuals are an improvement as always, but the amount of small but prevalent mechanical/gameplay bugs seemed to have quadrupled from BF3/4. And they didn't even scratch on them from the looks of the beta. While playing the beta I noticed all the same annoyances, they just made them smoother to endure, but they're still there. Also, the commo-rose is more fraked up in BF1 I really hope they changed it [see from previous post on list of bugs/glitches].
ImageImage
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

:cry:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

the current community list of unanswered server questions with some general sorting pulled from the BF forums. apparently the EA CM has sent these to DICE to get answers, however no new info past the previous announcement last week of there not being rentable servers at launch has been released:

Server-Administration:
Spoiler: show
  • Will there be a RCON Communication that we can use?
  • Will we have the ability to use: Kill, Kick, Ban, Switch Player?
  • Will we be able to switch maps at will?
  • Can we restart a round at will?
  • Do we have Admin-Yell or somthing like this?
  • Do we have the ability to report Cheaters and griefers to admins?
  • Does admins have to be ingame to monitor server activity?
  • Can we setup an Spam-Bot for automessaging?
  • Can we setup multiple Admins?
  • Can we setup different Adminrights?
  • Are we able to mute players?
  • Can we use the ingame-Chat for Admin-commands?
  • Will there be an Mobile-APP for monitoring our Server?
  • Are we able to end a round?
Server-Configuration:
  • Are we able to setup reserved slots?
  • Are we able to limit / forbid Weapons? (Ex. Pistol only, No Explosives)
  • What Game-Modes limitations are active?
  • Are we able to setup a Ping-Limiter?
  • Are we able to setup a Region-Lock?
  • What will determine ranked v. unranked?
  • Are Game-Modes locked to Player-Counts?
  • Are we able to Setup custom Messages for ex. Knive-Kill?
  • Are we able to setup a Language-filter?
  • Are we able to share banlists through our own servers?
  • Are we able to setup a Voting-System?
  • Are the tick-rates configurable?
  • Are Hardcore and Classic modes be presets?
  • Are Mixed Modes possible?
  • Are we able to support Ban-Streaming Websites? (GGC, PPBans, Metabans)
  • Is it possible to load Stats to an SQL Database?
  • Can we setup Gametracker?
  • Can we get „CPU-Priority“ option to servers?
  • Can we choose Min/Max Tickets and/or change Timelimit?
  • Will we have an „All Unlocks“ in private Servers?
  • Are we able to change Server settings on the Fly? (Change, Restart, Run?
  • Do we have an Plugin-Support?
  • Can we hide our Server from public browser?
  • Is it possible to turn of Anti-Cheat?
  • Does the server have an active Server-Balance System (move player on Death)?
  • Can we setup an Load-Out Enforcer? (ESL Rules server)
  • Can we setup a „Skill-Limiter“ such as K/D-Ratio , so Pro-Players can’t join?
  • Are we able to setup Unranked Servers for „cinematic business“ People?
  • Are we able to setup or change the banlist manual?
  • Will we be able to automate any tasks? (Restart, Kick / Ban, Etc.)
  • Are we able to setup custom Commands which are useable by players?
  • Does all Settings require a Serverrestart to take effect?
  • Can you limit Vehicles?
  • Can you limit / disable Spectators on the Server?
  • Do we have an whitelist-option for Spectators?
  • Are we able to turn / change the Weather levolution?
  • Are we able to set the time of the day on the server?
  • Are we able to edit/setup startup, spectatorList, mapList, reservedSlots text files?
  • What sort of services will EA BF1 servers provide us to backup, duplicate, edit, deploy, and share server configurations and settings ?
Payment & Ordering:
  • Are we able to rent password protected gameserver?
  • Can we specify in which region our Servers are hosted?
  • What kind of level of support can we expect?
  • Will everyone have the same level of support?
  • How much does a server cost per Slot?
  • Can you rent a Server with less than 32 Slots?
  • Are we able to Pre-Order servers?
  • Which Companies provides Servers for BF1?
  • Are we able to rent multiple Servers at once?
  • Will there be a server coffer for donors or will one person have to fit the bill?
  • If donating is possible, are we able to see / manage donators?
  • Are we able to pay for upgraded hardware?
  • Will there be a customer service response and server up time SLA?
  • Will we have region-based prices for server rentals (like buying games through Origin now) or will there be one currency only?
  • Which Regions are able to rent a Server?
  • Are there different Tiers of Servers (Different Hardware)?
  • Are we able to test the rented Server before paying?
  • How do you handle Customer Support during the night?
  • Are we able to rent a Server without owning the game?
Misc:
  • What type of hardware are used for the Server?
  • What type of connection will these servers be hosted on?
  • Do we have an DDoS Protection?
  • Are we able to report Servers (Badmins)?
  • How will you deal with vanilla map rotations including DLC Maps with players who does not own the DLC/Premium?
  • Are Servernames getting Sorted?
  • Are we able to choose the internet Infrastructure Provider (InterNAP for instance)?
  • Are we able to Change the Anti-Cheat System?
  • Will there be a dedicated bandwidth QOS dependent on how many players your server can hold?
  • If you are not going to utilize Procon do you have a guide and or training that we can look at now that will help us become familiar with the server options, what they mean and how to use them?
  • If there are multiple Anti-Cheats e.g FairFight & Punkbuster for example, Can we please see these anti-cheats locked to "enabled" and only allowed to be disabled on private unranked servers?
  • What options that were changeable in BF4 are now locked in BF1?
  • Will Servers force daily restarts? Can we disable them?
  • Will there be anyway to monitor server status and health?
  • Are Servers which flagged for Rules violations highlighted.
  • Are we able to seed our Servers in any way to become popular? (Battlelog is now gone)
  • Will the match making system match to only official servers or will it also match to ranked servers?
  • Are there differences between Console and PC Server Rental System?
  • How many Gameservers will be run on one machine?
  • What is required to be a "Ranked" "Official" etc. Server?