Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Snappel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

An Update on the Rent a Server feature

Post by Snappel »

Hi all,

Now that the latest Battlefield 1 Game Update 121316 has been released, let’s look forward on what’s on our agenda for future updates.

One of the key areas of focus for us has been the Rent-a-Server feature (RSP). We’re glad to inform you that we are kicking development into high-gear and hope to deliver a variety of requested functions to the feature. Additionally, we look to improve the overall flows on how to find and populate a rented server, and add some more settings for the admin to play with.

Below you will find a brief summary of the functions we are looking to implement in future updates. Please note that this is not a list of guaranteed features. Rather, this is a list of functionality we are investigating and/or developing.

Admin Control Panel
A separate screen you can reach from inside the game where you will find functions such as Kick/Ban along with Ban and VIP lists.

Kick/Ban
You will be able to see a list of all current players on the servers and either kick or ban them. Once banned they will be stored in the Ban List. From there you can unban them or just view the list of all currently banned players.

Ban & VIP Lists
Here, you will be be able to view and edit the Ban & VIP List.

The VIP List is a list of players that will have queue priority (even higher priority than Premium Pass owners). For instance, if you have a clan and the clan members contribute to the server cost, you can add them in the VIP List and they will put into the highest priority queue.

Password Protected Servers
We are looking to re-introduce this setting for Battlefield 1 rented servers that admins want to secure with a password. Setting a password will make the server run "Unranked", so players who join won’t receive any experience, gain medals, or progression of any kind, but they will have all equipment unlocked while playing on that server.

New Settings

Here is a list of some of the new server settings we are looking to implement in future updates:

· Squad Leader Spawn Only
A popular setting from previous titles. We are looking to add this in a future update so server admins can set this on their server.

· Behemoth on/off toggle
A new setting for admins where they can turn off the Behemoth from spawning on their servers.

· Whole Magazine Reload
A setting from previous Hardcore versions. Admins will have access to turn it on or off on their servers.

We are also looking into a re-design of how the server browser displays servers. We currently feel that the DICE Official Servers are washing out all the quality rented servers and making it difficult for players to find their favorite servers.

In an effort to address this, we are looking into giving all rented servers priority in the server browser. This means that rented servers will always be displayed at the top of the server browser.

There are other functions that we are planning for the re-design that we are not ready to talk about just yet. These functions that are in development will make the overall experience to find and join a rented server much easier and making popular rented servers even more visible inside the game.

Sincerely
Alexander "Striterax" Hassoon

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/di ... ure#latest

It's about time! Is it time for GC to re-emerge?
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Re: An Update on the Rent a Server feature

Post by mrBLUE9 »

It's only missing a restart map function, any news on that? I'm afraid it would be impossible to run a campaign without it.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Please ignore me if you want to be hopeful.
Spoiler: show
BF3 and BF4 both were very rough at the start with their server commands. Not sure why its got harder and harder for RCON of the servers with each franchise release, but BF1 shows they didnt even want to try before release. That in turns impact 3rd party server controls using the buggy beta RCON commands. Some commands implemented and others didnt do what they were suppose to. Remember the battledays unable to put a password on the server? Unlocks not working right? Picking which side was what army? Server crashing from a reset? Anyways, if the repeated history repeats itself, it will be many months before it has stability and functionality.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

So they haven't actually given us anything. They are LOOKING to give us passwords. They are Looking to give us a bunch of toggleable settings. "this is not a list of guaranteed features."

Given their track record so far, I'm expecting nothing.It's getting to the stage of "too little too late" and with the insane falloff of player numbers I'm not sure I'll be picking up this thing at all, even if GC decides to give it a go. We'll see.

In stuff they've not mentioned, it appears that there will still only be one admin and that admin is the person who pays for the server, that simply won't work for GC at all, the last thing any of us wants to do is starting screwing around with our communities money and having to send it to whoever is going to be TA on any given day so they can do server stuff. Map control isn't really mentioned at all and it's terrible in its current iteration, we need to be able to restart rounds or have really crappy and unfair breakouts. Teambalance as a feature (usually I wouldn't even mention it because it's so obvious, but it's BFOne so no doubt they'll screw up) needs to be disabled for us to be able to get armies in a team.

I'm continually disappointed in just how far DICE have lost their way.

All of these announcements have obviously went through marketing and/or legal sections - once you actually read what they say they're very dissapointing
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Well, at this rate, I'm never gonna pick up this game..
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

This whole situation is continually heartbreaking.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

haruky wrote:Well, at this rate, I'm never gonna pick up this game..
Yeah, and EA/DICE is all like

I haven't bought the game either, and see no reason to.
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

let’s look forward on what’s on our agenda for future updates...
One of the key areas of focus for us has been the Rent-a-Server feature (RSP).
has been ? results ?
we are kicking development into high-gear
lol on that one, AAA released game in development....
We currently feel ...
by the moaning from all the server renters.

yep I'll buy this for 5 bugs for the WW1 SP campaign- just to sad this story :thumbdown:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Money is motivation for them. I smell fear, they must not be getting the faith money anymore.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

this nails the coffin for me. they refuse to commit to anything, it's all "soon" and "maybe" and refusing to actually address the majority of the 200+ questions people started asking in September. they clearly didn't want to do this at all and are half-assing it after the fact to attempt to save face.

2 weeks ago peak concurrent player numbers were at like 50k. the christmas bump hasn't really done anything to the PC numbers at all, barely pushing them to end of november numbers, and once school and work starts back up in the next week or 2 the numbers are going to continue to fall. there's no DLC due until March. for a comparison, BF4 at this time last year was at like 40k on PC. BF1's basically brand new and well on its way to being worse off than BF4 was before BF1's release.

there are too many issues that they refuse to even acknowledge the existence of at this point for me to want to support this title here anymore. by the time they get around to actually finishing their reinvention of the wheel, the game is going to be just as dead as battlefront on PC, because there's no way to game in a community anymore, which was the staple of why every BF title was beloved at some point in its lifespan.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

In case anyone still gives a crap, the Winter/February update now lets the owner, and only the owner, of the server kick/ban people from an in server menu!

PLUS, a map vote at the end of a round!

As far as I can tell, no passwords, no restarting rounds, no choosing the map (unless you are lucky enough to have it pop up in vote map). So it's still fraking useless.

Mean while, at DICE
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

Off-Topic:

^^^^^
Me when I work from home.
Gardalop
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Gardalop »

In the event that DICE finally fixes all of the problems with this game I look forward to playing with you all again. If not... then thanks for the good times and memories. I will miss you all :(
Kilo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kilo »

I''m pretty sure if they ever get around implement the settings/commands we need it'll already be too late
Battlefield Tournament History
BF3C4: STAR Infantry Private 2Image
BF3C5: LOD Infantry Private
BF3C6: UNSC Infantry Private First Class
BF4C1: USSR Infantry Conscript
BF4C2: GoCI Infantry Private First Class
BF4C3: LN7 Infantry Private
BF4C4: JANUS Armor Private
BF4C5: KTSS SAS Captain
BF4C6: SAD Infantry CorporalImage
BF4C7: GC Infantry Captain
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

There is no mistaking the development of BF1 as being severely "who gives a crap" in it's execution.

EA/DICE in fact have a negative opinion of their long-term customers, as it's much easier to get new children to use their parents credit cards to make the money, which is their ultimate goal.