1.03 & your thoughts ...

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

MikeHawk

1.03 & your thoughts ...

Post by MikeHawk »

Just wondering what people think about the new patch. I've briefly tried it & liked the new map. Was lots of fun, reminded me of the good ole' days of DC.
Anyways, just wanting to get feedback on it from the people that play daily. Didn't notice any real problems, only played 2 rounds tho. So it's safe to say I haven't completly tested it. But my initial reaction is positive.

I noticed you guys weren't supposed to install it before this weeks play, so if you haven't yet, after you do let me know your thoughts. Just like to hear peoples ideas & opinions. Thanks.
AMD-64bit FX-53(@3.3Ghz)
A-bit AN8-V Fatal1ty nForce 4
W/D Raptors(2x74gig)Raid-0(64k)
Corsair XMS3500 2x1gig sticks(@460Mhz)
ATi X-850 XT Platinum PCI-E
TTGI 550w PSU(600max)
SLK-900a w/92x38mm 110cfm fan
EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

I like everything except that Server searching that is F***ED UP!!
----- Campaign 2 [EC] -----
Image Image Image Image Image Image
----- Campaign 1 [US] -----
Click on image for stats.
Brenil

Post by Brenil »

It's craptastic.

I experienced a problem that many are facing still and had to reinstall BF2 as a result. There's an apparent bug that says when you try to join a certain server running a certain map, that you have modified your BF2 files and can no longer play. Of course, our files are not modified yet it says they are regardless, which means the only way to apparently correct it is to completely reinstall. After looking through just plantbattlefield's forums... many people have had this problem.

Another issue is lag showing up every once and awhile... nasty warping lag that doesn't even show in your ping.

Wake Island sucks donkey balls. As a former map maker I can tell you this was a rushed project with little thought for balance or even making it pretty. As far as BF2 maps go, this map is ugly. The balance for GC play is laughable, the US stand no chance if any Chinese pilots even show up or know how to strafe a boat. The lack of a destroyer or a movable carrier means that you can only attack from one direction without fire support. The only way this 'new' Wake would be anything even worth considering to play in GC would be if jets were completely removed and just left this as a chopper/ground map, then it'd be decent. As is... just watch the pilots rack up 50+ kills while everyone else on Chinese has their thumb up their ass and US is pounding their keyboard into tiny pieces.

Some additions are nice, but really not needed. Alot of issues were left unfixed, even ones that were supposed to be in this patch, like the indictator to Squad Leaders when someone sends an invite request. The physics are still fubar, you can still be run over by a teammate going 2 MPH.

Stingers are still useless against amatuar to experienced pilots, missiles are easily dodged by choppers still as well if you know how. The only buff to missiles was in the form of air to air, if used properly they now are much more effective against other jets and choppers (good or bad?).

The server filters and such are still broken beyond repair. All filters expect 'Same Version' and 'Ranked' do not work at all. What's the point of having filters that do not FILTER.

Oh and last but not least... The change to the ranks while everyone thinks it's good, in the long run is bad. Think about it... to most people who pubbed for points, what was their incentive? To be the best at whatever you do? Not for most people. The incentive was unlocking weapons. Now that everyone that plays for longer than an hour a day on pubs will have at least two if not three unlocks. People who played a little longer have four to five. So... where's the incentive to keep playing since you've unlocked pretty much all the weapons in the time it used to take just to have one or two unlocks?

Overall, I was disappointed in the patch, but consider it's coming from DICE who is being whored out by EA these days... their getting worse instead of better with fame.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Brenil wrote:The physics are still fubar, you can still be run over by a teammate going 2 MPH.
Here I saw a little difference, I did hit some guys a few time by accident without killing them with the car.

Brenil wrote:The only buff to missiles was in the form of air to air, if used properly they now are much more effective against other jets and choppers (good or bad?).
Air To Air missile should be a little more accurate I think...

Brenil wrote:The incentive was unlocking weapons.
Not for me, I play to play ;) I dont like the unlocked weapon anyway....
Last edited by StarLord on Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
ColonelHogan

Post by ColonelHogan »

This patch made the game lag even more than the release. Wake island, as usual, sucks my left ball, hard. EA rushed this release just like they rushed the game, and they dont' have anything to say bout it because they are choking on my right ball.
EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

I really hate that Server Searching bug and the bugs when connecting to a server where they say you are running a different version (it only appears on some maps, like Strike at Karkand and Dragon Valley :evil: :evil:
Brenil

Post by Brenil »

EliteSoldier0 wrote:I really hate that Server Searching bug and the bugs when connecting to a server where they say you are running a different version (it only appears on some maps, like Strike at Karkand and Dragon Valley :evil: :evil:
Reinstall BF2, only way to fix it.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I have one observation or maybe it's a question.

Before the patch, I experimented with the ability of the engineer class to detonate land mines at will with small arms fire and grenades. At the time I could not get them to detonate like that and figuring it was just a carryover from BF42 days, scratched it off the list of possibilities.

After I installed the patch, It became very clear that it was possible and so easy that if you are holding a grenade and looking at your mine pattern very hard, up they go. Cooolest!
Col Hogan wrote:This patch made the game lag even more than the release. Wake island, as usual, sucks my left ball, hard. EA rushed this release just like they rushed the game, and they dont' have anything to say bout it because they are choking on my right ball.
You posting from that closet again Hogan? :P

Winter 8O
ImageImage
RandoRando

Post by RandoRando »

The promotion system now is far to quick, should have left it as it was.
Now can't join buddies in servers via x-fire now because of the stupid pop up screen from EA on info, who clicks the link to read? if you do you have to shut down BF to open your web browser whats the point in that as you log into the game to play not to read some rubbish from EA saying how great they are.
Wake island sucks big time, its to open and no real cover. Get in a helicopter and you own the map. i am still trying to work out why they included it in the patch.
I would like to see better teamspeak included as the current system they use is not good and breaks up alot.
LIFE IS TO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WINE

EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

Brenil wrote:
EliteSoldier0 wrote:I really hate that Server Searching bug and the bugs when connecting to a server where they say you are running a different version (it only appears on some maps, like Strike at Karkand and Dragon Valley :evil: :evil:
I'll try that, thx
EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

Brenil wrote:
I reïnstalled it, and I still can't play on some maps, I still get the error that only I can only join unmodified, while I don't have any mods installed anymore :s
Brenil

Post by Brenil »

Try completely uninstalling everything related to BF2, including the My Documents files. Or try renaming the next install to a different directory. Odds are some of your old files are still remaining intact.

If that still doesn't work, send a letter bomb to EA.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Wake island sucks big time, its to open and no real cover. Get in a helicopter and you own the map. i am still trying to work out why they included it in the patch.
A good fps online game will have many totally different kinds of maps to choose from, it's those kind of resources that kept BF42 online and being played by the best of the online community.

Wake Island map was like that in 42, the big difference is that the ships are not ships in this version. More like Helicopter and Vstol assault platforms at sea. If you replacced the water with scrub covered rocky terrain it would be just like one of the maps you like.

Think of it that way mayber.

I can remember playing with an old clan I was in on DC Wake and having five or six guys spawning out of one of the huts. The opposition had two choppers doing CAP patrols in large laps around the island and I spent twenty minutes getting frustrated , spawning and dying, spawning and dying with some chopper jockey up there hovering and loving it, no end.

We got even with him and played on a non chopper map next three rounds, and spent two rounds just chasing him around and killing him as fast as we could spot him. He was nicer player after that, I think.

Some people take things to far and end up with no one to play with them if not taught by friends that the game is supposed to be fun for everyone.

Winter :D
ImageImage
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

MikeHawk, I always laugh when I see your name, and then I stop and think about the fact that I know a guy named Mike Hunt, try saying that name a little to fast.
EliteSoldier0

Post by EliteSoldier0 »

Brenil wrote:Try completely uninstalling everything related to BF2, including the My Documents files. Or try renaming the next install to a different directory. Odds are some of your old files are still remaining intact.

If that still doesn't work, send a letter bomb to EA.
I deleted everything now except the My Documents files (that shouldn't affect anything, it are just profiles and screenshots) reïnstalled it, and it finally works :D Thx a lot.