Mafia - The rules

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Mafia - The rules

Post by styphon »

RULES

ROLES
  • Narrator - The person who runs the story. He knows who everyone is, sets voting deadlines and informs people the results of votes and night actions.
  • Villagers - Your average Joe. Most people will be villagers. You each get 1 vote per day on whom you would see lynched. At night villagers sleep and take no action.
  • Mafia - Members of the mafia act like normal members of the village by day, but by night they wake and carry out a murder.
  • The Don - The head of the mafia. This person is the first person to be selected as a mafia and collects their votes for who to kill at night and submits them to the narrator each night.
  • The Doctor - Each night can protect one person. If anyone attempts to kill the person the doctor protects then they will fail to kill that night. He is on the villagers side.
  • The Cop - Each night can investigate one person. The report will reveal which side that person is on. He is on the villagers side.
  • The Investigator - Each night can investigate one person. The report will reveal that persons role. He is on the villagers side.
  • The Tracker - Each night can follow one person. Will know who that person visited that night. He is on the villagers side.
  • The Miller - If investigated by the cop will show as sided with the Mafia. If lynched during the day will show as a member of the Mafia. If killed at night will show as the Miller. He is on the villagers side.
  • The Vigilante - Each night can kill one person. He is on the villagers side.
  • Masons - The Masons are a secret society dedicated to working against the Mafia within the village. They all know who each other are but otherwise are normal villagers.
  • The Fool - The Fools objective is to be lynched by the village. He wins if he is lynched during the day. Each night he visits one person (to confuse the tracker).
  • The Godfather - The original head of the Mafia (is also the Don whilst alive). If investigated by a cop he shows as being sided with the village. Sided with the Mafia.
  • The Framer - Each night the Framer can frame one person in the village. That night the person will appear as being sided with the Mafia if investigated by the cop. Sided with the Mafia.
  • The Hooker - The Hooker can kiss one person each night. When kissed: Vigilantes will fail to kill, Doctors will fail to protect, Cops will fail to investigate, Trackers will fail to track and Fools will fail to visit. Sided with the Mafia.
  • The Mayor - The Mayor is a special role only used when the daily vote results in a tie. In a tie one random person is chosen as the Mayor for the day and has the deciding vote to break the tie.
  • The Dead - Players who have been lynched by the mob of villagers, or killed by the mafia, are out of the game. Their role is revealed by the narrator to the survivors. They are now spectators for the remainder of the game.
  • Assignment - At the start of the game the narrator will randomly decide who gets what role using a random number generator. Roles will then be PM'd to all those taking part along with any instructions or information that go with that role.
DAY
  • Deadline - At the beginning of the day the narrator will "wake everyone up" and give them a limit for deciding who to vote for, usually 5 days. The deadline may be extended if the narrator and players feel it is appropriate.
  • Discussion - During the day anyone who is currently alive may discuss who they think should be lynched amongst themselves as much as they want. However they must have voted by the deadline.
  • Editing posts - Nobody other than the narrator is allowed to edit their posts. What you have said is said, you cannot take it back any more than you can travel back in time.
  • Voting - Players vote by writing "I accuse NAME". You may change your vote by accusing someone else, however you only get one vote per day. The last vote you make that day is the one that is counted. You may rescind your vote by writing "I stop accusing NAME". All votes must be in bold (to make it easier for the narrator to see them).
  • No Lynch Vote - Instead of voting for a person a player may chose to vote for no lynch that day by writing "I vote for no lynch". If the majority of the votes are no lynch then nobody dies that day.
  • Missing the deadline - If you miss the deadline and fail to vote you will be given a strike. 3 strikes and your character is removed from the game.
  • Lynching- At the end of the day time the person with the most votes against their name is lynched. In the case of a draw the mayor for the day casts the deciding vote. Their roles will then be revealed.
  • Sleep - After the hanging(s) the narrator will "put everyone to sleep". Whilst asleep nobody but the narrator may post in the main thread.
NIGHT
  • Deadline - At the beginning of the night cycle the narrator will give the special characters who may act during the night a deadline in which to act, normally 2 days. The deadline may be extended if the narrator and players think it is appropriate.
  • Actions - Certain special characters can act at night. For the first game, this will only be the mafia. The mafia must discuss amongst themselves, via PMs, who they wish to kill. The Don must then send their decision to the narrator before the deadline is up. All other roles who work independently must PM the narrator their actions that night by the deadline.
  • Kills - Any kills will be revealed at dawn as players are awakened for the day.
VICTORY
  • Villagers - The villagers win by killing all the Mafia.
  • Mafia - The Mafia wins by equalling or outnumbering the villagers during the day.
  • Fool - The Fool wins by being lynched during the day. He can draw with the Mafia if his lynching also means that the Mafia reach their victory condition.
Last edited by styphon on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madcow
Executive
Executive

Re: Mafia - The rules

Post by madcow »

I've stickied this so that it doesn't get pruned.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

madcow wrote:I've stickied this so that it doesn't get pruned.
Whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is ....

oh wait, you mean sticky the thread. Heh..
Hi!
GoodAussieP

Post by GoodAussieP »

Wow, new rules are extensive. I see the mayor breaks tie, but didn't mention what the mayor is.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

GoodAussieP wrote:Wow, new rules are extensive. I see the mayor breaks tie, but didn't mention what the mayor is.
Thanks Aussie, missed that. Mayor role has been added to the rules. Most of the new rules are the additional roles. The is only 1 other new rule to go in but that will wait till after the next game.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I see there is no Cobbler role. Is this because he was offed in the last round? Who will repair all the village shoes?
Hi!
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Goggles wrote:I see there is no Cobbler role. Is this because he was offed in the last round? Who will repair all the village shoes?
No, he's there, just one of the villagers :).
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

The No Lynch rule has been added. I was going to save this for game 3 but with so many people signing up it's getting complex enough that I may as well add this rule in now.