[Planetside 2] Drunkenside Event Saturday SBT+2

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

[Planetside 2] Drunkenside Event Saturday SBT+2

Post by LCourage »

GWYNZER EDIT:

We currently play on the Miller server as TR on Sundays at SBT+2. Come along!

----
Alpha footage below. I played the original Planetside in beta and release. Looking forward to the new one. It's MMOFPS so we are talking larger battles than just 64 player.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HgC6Exs0U[/youtube]
Tunnel Snakes rule!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Re: Planetside 2

Post by .Sup »

It looks like fun, the jump pads remind me of Quake (3 is it?). If there will be a demo I will try it. I hope there are no monthly fees for the game.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

This looks pretty sweet. Hopefully there will be some kind of teamwork mechanic built in.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

I'm glad there are other people here interested, (as I've probably told everyone I play regularly with) I'm super excited for this game.

The game is Free to Play, so no one has an excuse not to play it, with cosmetic and customization based micro-transactions, though it won't be pay-to-win.

/r/planetside has a lot of good info, as does Planetside Universe.

We should decide what faction (there are three) GC should play on, assuming others than me will be playing. My vote goes to the Vanu, 'cause of science and lasers.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

Tunnel Snakes rule!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

It looks alot like BF3 to me, but in space with even larger battles. I'll probably give it a try depending on how many people I know are playing it. Any info on when it might release?
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

I have signed up for the beta. might as well give it a try! looks pretty cool
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

The game, during installation, says I need to set up a subscription.

SELECT METHOD OF PAYMENT

wut
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

.Sup wrote:The game, during installation, says I need to set up a subscription.
SELECT METHOD OF PAYMENT
wut
If it is free to play, this sounds alarmingly like the world of tanks business plan. Get you hooked on the game with some cool gameplay and the "COME AND PLAY OUR GAME!!! IT'S FREE!!" marketing. Then make progression up the ranks painfully slow unless you give them money. A subscription no less.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

calloutman wrote: If it is free to play, this sounds alarmingly like the world of tanks business plan. Get you hooked on the game with some cool gameplay and the "COME AND PLAY OUR GAME!!! IT'S FREE!!" marketing. Then make progression up the ranks painfully slow unless you give them money. A subscription no less.
The devs, who are very communicative via twitter and reddit and such, have repeatedly said that the micro-transactions are for customizability: camos, decals, different but not more powerful weapons, e.t.c, not experience or objectively better items.

SELECT METHOD OF PAYMENT

wut
The beta isn't even out, how the hell are you installing it? O.o Unless you're trying to install the original Planetside, a 9-year old subscription based game.
BF3:
BF4
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Henidhor wrote:
calloutman wrote: If it is free to play, this sounds alarmingly like the world of tanks business plan. Get you hooked on the game with some cool gameplay and the "COME AND PLAY OUR GAME!!! IT'S FREE!!" marketing. Then make progression up the ranks painfully slow unless you give them money. A subscription no less.
The devs, who are very communicative via twitter and reddit and such, have repeatedly said that the micro-transactions are for customizability: camos, decals, different but not more powerful weapons, e.t.c, not experience or objectively better items.

SELECT METHOD OF PAYMENT

wut
The beta isn't even out, how the hell are you installing it? O.o Unless you're trying to install the original Planetside, a 9-year old subscription based game.
Hmm I blame them, they have two download buttons for that game on their front page.
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

Henidhor wrote:
Well it looks like your cynicism may have been well placed, watching TotalBiscuit's and Matt Higby's (the creative director) steam he said you can buy 50% faster 'experience' for a week (though the game is based on certification points, not experience). I guess we'll have to see how it turns out.
BF3:
BF4
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

I was just about to make a post about this before I searched for an existing thread. The beta should be starting in a week or so. I managed to get a key from twitter, but I believe the beta will open a couple weeks after launching. I never played PS1, but from what I've seen of PS2, I am very optimistic. It's amazing that they are actually providing this type of experience as a free to play game. (I'm just hoping they don't ruin it with the type of purchasable content as others have brought up.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_htNqTRnv0[/youtube]

If we don't have many GC players, I may just roll with one of the reddit outfits. They plan on having outfits on each of the three factions. I don't have a preference since I haven't played the game before. They all sound interesting enough.

Really, my only concern is how tight the game plays, it looks like there may be severe hit detection issues and I can only imagine the latency involved with hundreds, if not thousands of players on a single server.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
TacticalVirus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacticalVirus »

In Planetside 1 lag was never an issue, and each continent was pop-locked at 200 players. Before any of you PS1 players pipe up about the "lag", it wasn't lag. Planetside 1 was coded terribly and had multiple memory leaks. When it was released it needed 4 gigs of ram to operate properly. 4 gig at the time was almost unheard of even in top of the line gaming rigs.

Assuming Planetside 2 has population locks, it shouldn't be an issue. Hit detection is also supposed to be much better in PS2, you'll even be able to do things like headshot people! (You weren't able to do this in PS1, playing Recce with a sniper rifle was a waste of time).

I'm looking forward to this, it would be cool to get a GC outfit up and running.
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

TacticalVirus wrote:In Planetside 1 lag was never an issue, and each continent was pop-locked at 200 players. Before any of you PS1 players pipe up about the "lag", it wasn't lag. Planetside 1 was coded terribly and had multiple memory leaks.
It was a fun game and most of my play time was beta followed by the first 6 months. There was lag or memory leaks and the hit detection was not what a normal FPS game is. But it is and was what I hope to transition into playing more of which is a MMOFPS. So I'm hoping PS2 does play smoothly and is damn near the hit detection and mechanics of BF1942.
Tunnel Snakes rule!