EVE Online

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Hashey

EVE Online

Post by Hashey »

Herro herro,

I'm just posting this little topic thingy to inform you all of EVE Online and the need that I have to invite you all for it.

Here's a little info:
Eve Online is a video game by CCP Games. It is a player-driven, persistent-world MMORPG set in a science fiction space setting. Characters pilot customizable ships through a galaxy of over 7,500 star systems. Most star systems are connected to one or more other star systems by means of stargates. The star systems can contain moons, planets, stations, wormholes, asteroid belts and complexes.

Players of Eve Online can participate in a number of in-game professions and activities, including mining, piracy, manufacturing, trading, exploration, and combat (both player versus environment and player versus player). The character advancement system is based upon training skills in real time, even while not logged into the game
As training up skills can take quite a while, as it's in real time(this also means that when you log off, it will continue training the skill. But it can also take up to 20 days to train a skill, depending on the multiplier of the skill), you probably don't want to play it if you don't have any patience. But on the other hand, if you can wait, it'll pay itself out.

If you want to try it out and want some help with it, I can give you a 21 day free trial, where you can decide for yourself if you want to play it or not. If you want any info, just annoy me when i'm on TS, or annoy Robawillis/Stonie as they're playing/have played it aswell.

And if you want to read more about it, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVE_Online or go see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq2oxt7Nrxo
matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: EVE Online

Post by matsif »

Nope. I will never return to space. Ever.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Already have it:

FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:Image
Beat me to it.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

It's a lot more than just a spreadsheet game, and just posting that shows your ignorance of it. The tactics involved in Eve far outstrip anything any FPS game could ever achieve. No other game has every single player on one server with a player driven economy and player driven territory, politics and war.

I enjoyed my time in EVE, although I doubt I'll ever go back. Never say never though.
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

styphon wrote:It's a lot more than just a spreadsheet game, and just posting that shows your ignorance of it.
Well, self-evidently. It's a light-hearted reference to popular culture, and (from my point of view, at least) wasn't meant to be actually taken seriously.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

FlashofSilver wrote:
styphon wrote:It's a lot more than just a spreadsheet game, and just posting that shows your ignorance of it.
Well, self-evidently. It's a light-hearted reference to popular culture, and (from my point of view, at least) wasn't meant to be actually taken seriously.
It annoys me when people refer to it as that, and when I ask people if they actually know what EVE is about when they make that reference then in my experience I find most people don't have a clue, other than it's set in Space and is an MMO. If you know more about EVE and are joking around, fair enough, perhaps my initial comment was a little harsh. But if you've never even looked into it then don't knock it.

It's a diverse and rich game that I enjoyed a lot; I feel the need to defend it when it is unjustly called that.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

A spreadsheet game requires using a spreadsheet to succeed. Those not using a spreadsheet are easily overpowered and outclassed, might as well hide in a hole and not build anything. Is Eve not like that?
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Ash2Dust wrote:A spreadsheet game requires using a spreadsheet to succeed. Those not using a spreadsheet are easily overpowered and outclassed, might as well hide in a hole and not build anything. Is Eve not like that?
No, those not using a spreadsheet can still get along fine. There are a lot of people who try to use spreadsheets and other things to give themselves an edge, but EVE is so complex that even using a spreadsheet doesn't mean you get ahead in the game.

If someone has managed to use a spreadsheet to work out the optimum setup for his ship he can still be taken out by clever tactics from people not using a single spreadsheet.

About the only part of EVE that you could call a spreadsheet game is the markets. There you really do need to use spreadsheets or one of the many programs that have popped up to help manage things otherwise you will just get lost amongst the mass of data you have to keep track of. But those who don't like spreadsheets stay away from trading.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

styphon wrote:It's a lot more than just a spreadsheet game, and just posting that shows your ignorance of it. The tactics involved in Eve far outstrip anything any FPS game could ever achieve. No other game has every single player on one server with a player driven economy and player driven territory, politics and war.

I enjoyed my time in EVE, although I doubt I'll ever go back. Never say never though.
As Flash said, i wasn't being serious and i know of the amazing possibilities in EVE. Stuff like Burning Jita makes that whole concept really epic, but it's just a bit too complicated for my taste.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

the thing that really turned me off of this game was the real time skill training. playing the game for a whole month for multiple hours a day and not even finishing learning one skill so you could mount a better piece of equipment just killed all of the fun that I did have.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
TacticalVirus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by TacticalVirus »

styphon wrote: No, those not using a spreadsheet can still get along fine. There are a lot of people who try to use spreadsheets and other things to give themselves an edge, but EVE is so complex that even using a spreadsheet doesn't mean you get ahead in the game.
That's disingenuous. EVE is the worlds greatest MMOTimesink. If you're not using spreadsheets or spending hours selecting a path and researching the best route through the path at the very least, you're going to have a bad time. Maybe if you're one of those clueless players that just sees shiny spaceships and lasers and stuff and can be happy with mindlessly wandering around in that environment, then you can get along fine. Those people exist in every MMO, I mean I ran accross them in Vanilla WoW, where leveling to 60 actually took time and a modicum of skill/dedication. They puttered around not raiding or doing much PvP and were happy with that. FPSers are rarely those kinds of players. FPSers that play organized tournaments (I.E.: GC) are even less likely to be that kind of player.

Once you have a competitive bone in your body, you generally need to be close to parity in order to have fun. Very few people enjoy losing all the time. If you're even slightly competitive, EVE will revolve around detailed skill training maps, ship setups, etc. Spreadsheets. Otherwise someone who has done their homework will sit in an underclassed frigate/destroyer and wax you easily. Not to mention it takes YEARS to make genuine progress.

The only exception to this is if you just want to sit there and mine/produce things. In which case you'll probably end up making your own spreadsheets in order to keep track of everything.

Not that I'm a jaded ex-capsuleer. I've played EVE, it just wasn't worth the time/money for me because I am a competitive player and I looked at the time I was dumping into research and realized it would have been worse on me than raiding 40 man Naxx in Vanilla WoW.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Sorry tactical but you don't have to do that. So many people have worked out and posted guides, advice and results of doing it themselves that you can just Google someone else's spreadsheets, or more likely find a corporation in game and just ask for advice. You will get all the answers you need from someone who already has done the hard work.

That's not to say that a lot of people don't just go ahead and do it for themselves anyway, but there are plenty of people in EVE willing to help new players with advice to avoid exactly what you described. EVE uni is the biggest example of this.
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

First off, thanks for blasting this topic out of proportion hehe.

And I agree with almost everything that Styphon says, but I'm not here to argue about stuff. I was looking if more people we're interested in playing EVE.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Can somebody explain this spreadsheet joke please?
Image[/url]