[CoH2] N00b Questions

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

[CoH2] N00b Questions

Post by InsanityRocks »

Howdy,

Played, and lost, my first match because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. Once I figured it out, though, it was too late. So, I have questions. First, I haven't played any of the previous games; complete n00b here.

What's the best way to navigate around the map? I found using the 'mini-map' in the lower left corner tedious and time consuming.

Is the object to capture, and hold, the 'Stars' on the map?

What is and how do I use a 'Command' point (probably not remembering that one correctly - seemed to unlock some General-types)?

How often does everyone play?

Next time I'll jump on TS to see if anyone's playing.
Hgx

Re: [CoH2] N00b Questions

Post by Hgx »

Coh has 2 game modes.

If you play in automatch (Online in coh 2) you will play ALWAYS "Victory point". It works like battlefield, the first player that gets down to 0 points looses the game.

You can navigate in any way you like. In case you want to zoom in the minimap use Numpad0.
I often use it in the beginning of a match to shift units around the map so I don't have to worry to much with them for a while. (Like engis capping sectors around my base)

Apart from those "Star" points, you need to capture more sectors that give you munitions and fuel. (The common ones in coh 2 give you 5 muns and 3 fuel, and you can upgrade them with Ammo or fuel caches that improve that rate, and you also have specified ammo and fuel points around the map)

You need to connect sectors, if a sector is not connected to your territory, it's not going to give you any resources.

Command-tree (Those 3 general guys)

You earn points by almost every single thing you do, even loosing troops. (You also win a little bit with time)
These command trees give you some diff techs, unlocks and fun stuff to use. (Rocket barrages, tanks, new guns, etc)

I play every single day.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Can we merge this thread into the main COH2 thread? We already have 3 separate COH related threads in this sub.
Image[/url]
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

Newbie here also, who only just saw COH1 matches.

First of all, new to RTS?
Second, COH is an RTS which focus less (on COH2 seems much more less) on macro orientated things (Construction of buidling, researching technologies, mantaining an economy) and focus mostly on micro (combat and positioning of troops).

To avoid extending myself to a long boring wall of text this is my quick advice:
-POSITIONING: most important thing. Infantry benefits a LOT from light and heavy cover (directional). You can see a small green or yellow shield whenever a troop is in cover. For vehicles it works the same as in BF3: front have more armor than sides n rear.
-RETREAT: soldier which runs leaves for another battle. Its way easier to reinforce a squad rather than to have to buy a new one. This is vital in COH, as your troops gains a lot of benefits when they stay alive and gain experience.

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

elchino7 wrote:Newbie here also, who only just saw COH1 matches.

First of all, new to RTS?
Second, COH is an RTS which focus less (on COH2 seems much more less) on macro orientated things (Construction of buidling, researching technologies, mantaining an economy) and focus mostly on micro (combat and positioning of troops).

To avoid extending myself to a long boring wall of text this is my quick advice:
-POSITIONING: most important thing. Infantry benefits a LOT from light and heavy cover (directional). You can see a small green or yellow shield whenever a troop is in cover. For vehicles it works the same as in BF3: front have more armor than sides n rear.
-RETREAT: soldier which runs leaves for another battle. Its way easier to reinforce a squad rather than to have to buy a new one. This is vital in COH, as your troops gains a lot of benefits when they stay alive and gain experience.
Adding to this, I think that coh 2 has some kind of tutorials, not sure how good they are tho.

Just play COH 2 as a battlefield game.