[Wargame: Airland Battle] Learn More About Doctrines

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

[Wargame: Airland Battle] Learn More About Doctrines

Post by CountBelasarius »

Wargame: Airland Battle is probably one of the best RTSs I've ever played. Also its now in full release!

In short it is a primarily multiplayer focused (though there will be a dynamic single player game with a RISK like meta game that can be played against one other player) game that portrays a conventional escalation of the Cold War in the mid 1980s. You take command of a battalion to regimental sized force on massive battlefields employing the full range of combined arms: tanks, APCs, infantry, recon, helos, MLRSs, mortars, artillery, ground strike aircraft, fighter-interceptors, and more.

WG:ALB has over 800 historically accurate units fully modeled, with detailed stats. You play as either a Warsaw Pact or NATO player, and there is a meta game where you build "decks" of these units. Basically you create your force for the battle in terms of what you are able to call in during the game. Then once the game begins you spend points to bring these units onto the battlefield.

Deck creation is a really neat mechanic as it forces players to make tradeoffs, no one deck is going to be great at everything, have cheap everything and have unlimited amounts of everything. You have to decide what you like to play with and focus on that. It lets you really develop your own personal signature.

A major change from WG:EE is that now you don't have to unlocked units through leveling, you have the full array of forces at your disposal from the moment you start.

The maps themselves are fully to scale with the units and the largest will be approximately 150 square kilometers.

Other features:
:arrow: Great line of sight system, really makes you focus on the terrain
:arrow: Morale and veterancy system
:arrow: New urban combat system that makes infantry in towns terrible to deal with for anything other than napalm
:arrow: Supply and logistics system (units need repairs, ammo and fuel)
:arrow: No base building, the focus is on the tactical employment and management of units
:arrow: Easy to use system for running off-map air missions to air superiority, close air support, etc
:arrow: Graphic style and UI that looks great close up but is easy to use when zoomed out.
:arrow: The previous game came with 4 sets of FREE DLC including touch screen support, new maps, new missions, new modes, and constant support and patching as needed. From being a long time player of WG:EE I can say that EUGEN seems to be committed to server support, patching, and keeping the game healthy for long after release.
:arrow: Multiplayer from 1v1 to 10v10
:arrow: Available on Steam

This going to sound preachy, but Wargame is really raising the bar for RTSs. After how disappointed I was at shitty COH2 beta, how little it had progressed, Wargame moved the bar significantly from their already spectacular Wargame:European Escalation (they also made Ruse and Act of War).

I will playing this game an enormous amount over the summer, with some RL friends. That said I also want GC to play this game too! Especially since I want to be able to play this game the way it was meant to be played... with a 10 person team on TS curbstomping pubbies. Or even better if enough GCers start playing, 10 on 10 matches.

At moment I'm playing a lot of 4v4s and 3v3s with GCers and other people on TS. I'd love to have more of GC join us!

Also I, and most of those of us playing, are absolutely willing to help new players learn to play, set up decks, figure out what their play style is, etc. So don't be concerned about the complexity, you'll have a lot of help in learning the game!

I seriously can't recommend this game enough. :thumbup:

Any questions? :D

Current Roster:

:arrow: Duke
:arrow: Sao
:arrow: SinX
:arrow: Hashey
:arrow: A432
:arrow: Gardalop
:arrow: Robawillis
:arrow: Haruky
:arrow: Reactor Meltdown
:arrow: Squid
:arrow: SteelTarkus
:arrow: Eloheim
:arrow: LordGonzo
:arrow: bitesizebeef
:arrow:Hitman
:arrow: solmartig
:arrow: matsif
:arrow: plumpeen
:arrow: Calloutman
Last edited by CountBelasarius on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]
BF4:C1 [☭] Komandir
Sao
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Wargame: Airland Battle] Learn More About Doctrines

Post by Sao »

WG:ALB is probally the best game I have ever played (apart from GW1, but that's because its building making abilities where brutally awesome)

As some of the new comers to ALB will attest for (Hashey I am so not looking at you <3), starting off in this game is horrendous, learning what the difference between a MiG27S and a MiG17 will take time and why those pesky Tornados IDS from W.Germany are cluster bombing the poop out of your T80Us (best russian tank) with impunity will take time to learn.

The game revolves around using your strength to cover another allies weakness. For example, reactor will 100% be tank whoring, therefore of maps with lots of buildings (Copenhagen for example) he will need more players to help out with inf to cover those areas. Or maybe duke's category B deck (pre-1980 only but can get more units) is being rofl-stomped by Silly ammounts of PACT air because his is low on anti air, I will bring my heavy air counter deck with more air superiorty fighters than you can shake a stick at and bring in some serious amounts of rolands (awesome F&F ground-air missile unit) to to get those +170 points.

All in all, buy the game guys. Its so much fun once you've got past the nub stage (like leading a charge with your 105 point command willy jeep to take on the might of the russian armour) and its also great to play with players on mic (for air cordination yo).

I am always online from SBT most nights to about SBT+5 (or 6/7 if Duke is whining at me to play because he has just come back from work) so hit me up to play!

EDIT: Duke at G0nzo to the team!
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

Sao wrote:As some of the new comers to ALB will attest for (Hashey I am so not looking at you <3), starting off in this game is horrendous, learning what the difference between a MiG27S and a MiG17 will take time and why those pesky Tornados IDS from W.Germany are cluster bombing the poop out of your T80Us (best russian tank) with impunity will take time to learn.

I hate you...
V_

Post by V_ »

Hmmm... Seriously considering it... Duke, you should work for game companies, you do a hell of a job advertising. :clap:
BF3 C2: KI - Sgt | C3: Pride - Sgt | C4: Gladius - Sgt | C5: KART - Col | C6: UNSC - Col
RS2:V C1: A1 - Ofc | C2: SLOTH - HC
Sao
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sao »

Hashey wrote:
Sao wrote:As some of the new comers to ALB will attest for (Hashey I am so not looking at you <3), starting off in this game is horrendous, learning what the difference between a MiG27S and a MiG17 will take time and why those pesky Tornados IDS from W.Germany are cluster bombing the poop out of your T80Us (best russian tank) with impunity will take time to learn.

I hate you...
I love you too. And don't worry. I led a charge before with a command and two I-hawks. Durp....
CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

BlackIce wrote:Hmmm... Seriously considering it... Duke, you should work for game companies, you do a hell of a job advertising. :clap:
Yes, join us!

The best part about Wargame is that when you're playing on a team, you are really working together, but just playing 4 separate mini-battles. And the more people that play it together, the better.

Also, if anyone else buys it post here and I'll add you to the OP list of WG:ALB players.
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]
BF4:C1 [☭] Komandir
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Stop writing how awesome it is. Stop it! Now! Please!
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Sao
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sao »

Jokerle wrote:Stop writing how awesome it is. Stop it! Now! Please!
Spoiler: show
Because cluster munitions yo!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

so I'm installing this
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Purchased!
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
V_

Post by V_ »

I would buy this if Flummi hadn't talked me into Arma III... Maybe in a few weeks.
BF3 C2: KI - Sgt | C3: Pride - Sgt | C4: Gladius - Sgt | C5: KART - Col | C6: UNSC - Col
RS2:V C1: A1 - Ofc | C2: SLOTH - HC
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I seriously just played around with the deck creator making specialized decks for like easily 2 and a half hours, then played a skirmish with my logistic/support deck. Reminds me of a slightly more involved version of WiC, a game which I loved when it came out.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Sao
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sao »

We shall be having WGALB-thons at SBT every Sunday.

Lets set this up properly now!

Edit: now on lunch break so I'll add some more details.

Even if you are new you can have a great game. Calloutman and matsif rolled up a 10v10 flank and had a point kd of about 3/4 whereas me and reactor (who have played a lot) didn't even go positive.

And if you get the game, we will not Noob bash you. This is one if the hardest games to master but one of the most rewarding.

Duke reactor and I have been playing for ages and I've just found a great infantry unit! So you always are learning.

So if you want to join in at SBT on Sunday. Come along. We always want more players and we can even build the new guys decks for them (it's scary the first time you look at it)

Also duke, those kurtsjager where brutal!!! Played a quick 1v1 this morning and managed to kill 16 units of spetsnaz with 8 units of them. Seriously they have to be the best infantry in the game. Especially for cat c! 12 accuracy ak4s in 7.62!

However we need to work on a better counter for t80u/bv with decent air cover and support (think gun aa and buks etc with mi28 over watch) as they wreck havoc.
solmartig
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by solmartig »

well i think sao just solded this gor me, im thinking about buying it even though last time a played anything similar to this is red alert 2, but it looks really awesome, dunno about the price, any change that it will go down during the summersale? or is it tooo new?
C3:ImageC6Image
CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

IMO there's a pretty solid chance for a good deal during the Steam Summer sale. The publisher/developers did a pretty good job of regularly putting its predecessor (Wargame European Escalation) on sale.
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]